81 GS550T Full Rebuild...In Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    Valve lapping compound normally comes in 2 cans, coarse and fine, paired up. Please study up on this before you do it. It is a simple procedure and will help you seat the valves correctly if done properly. Beats the heck out of having a valve job done, IMHO.
    I've been having a really hard time finding that double can compound. All I've ever found was the Pernatex stuff and I found it was too corse.
    Does anyone still sell it ?
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

The coarse grit lapping paste like the Permatex stuff breaks down really quickly into fine so you only need one.

There is no need to buy new valves unless they are really damaged (most often because some idiots think valve adjustment is optional). If the valves are pitted, find someone with a valve grinding machine and get the faces dressed. They will look like brand new for something like $5-7 each.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I know I tend to obsess, as many of us do, especially when we are new to working of our beloved GS's. Especially when we are new to a particular procedure....Like Ed said, I looked at my valves and seats and saw no chipping, cracks, or any other defect that really jumped out. So I just lapped real quick for a cleaning and fine tuning and am happy with that.
        I used this.

Lap, clean, assemble, be happy

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
          I know I tend to obsess, as many of us do, especially when we are new to working of our beloved GS's. Especially when we are new to a particular procedure....Like Ed said, I looked at my valves and seats and saw no chipping, cracks, or any other defect that really jumped out. So I just lapped real quick for a cleaning and fine tuning and am happy with that.
          I used this.

Lap, clean, assemble, be happy
          Thanks Loud et, that's what I ended up picking up today so I'll just be trying the fine grit as I don't believe I'll have much to worry about.

Today was cleaning day again; Charmayne and I took the cylinders, head, and valve cover out to the base to dip in their parts cleaner. We got most of the easy stuff off but there's still plenty of varnish and baked on grease/oil/grime that needs coming off. I also picked up a couple of small dremel wire wheels to use on them and hope I can get it ready for paint in the next couple of weeks. Sorry for the picture quality but I just had the phone today and not the good camera.

While i cleaned, Charmayne dried things off for me using the air compressor. She realized the power of that compressor when she blew some of the brushes off the table without meaning too.

Here's the cylinders:

Head

We will work on doing more fine work at the house and then take it back to the base after we are done. They also have a sandblasting cabinet that should be connected in the next month or two. It's a small one, can't handle the frame, but I think it will work on the engine pieces.

Also, while we were out there, the other kids cleaned up parts for me here. Paul was really excited when I left the parts for him and, from what I understand, was upset when he was done. Here's him playing around afterwards pretending he was riding.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Scott,

Keep that cylinder head out of the blast cabinet. There are too many oil passages that can not be reached to clean out the grit so please don't be tempted.

Looking good so far.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Scott,

Keep that cylinder head out of the blast cabinet. There are too many oil passages that can not be reached to clean out the grit so please don't be tempted.

Looking good so far.
              Thanks Ed will do. I'll go find some other suggestions then for cleaning up those pieces better so I prep them for paint.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Rifle brushes work wonders. Chuck them in a drill and go to town.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

More Cleaning

After a long week of late nights at work, I finally got out to the garage again today. I poured some simple green into a container with two gallons of water and let pieces soak for a bit.

Then I started taking the brushes to each piece. The cylinders look a bit better but I need to go get a gun cleaning brush for some of the harder to reach areas. I did run through a bunch of qtips and will do more with that after another couple of cleaning sessions.

But I noticed some rust marks (??) inside the sleeves. I think it will be a simple job of using the hone brush and some oil to clean them up right?

After some time with that, I started in on the head. I took my 1" brass wire cup brush and chucked it into the drill and managed to get the valve area looking a little better.

Cylinder 1

and 4

I'm a little nervous about going too much further with the brush in the drill but I also think that's the only way I'm going to get it much cleaner before I do the lapping. What do you all think?

Well, off to Walmart to get that gun brush.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

After washing, keep those cylinders oiled inside and out!! The rust marks will go away after you wash and wipe them with WD40. Then apply some engine oil.

Same for the head. Keep the valve guides oiled!!

Some spray nine and a coper wire brush worked well for me on the combustion chamber.

Let it soak in a few minutes, respray and start brushing again. The carbon comes off a little at a time but the brush takes it off just fine without damaging anything.
                    Last edited by Mekanix; 11-03-2012, 04:14 PM.
                    Stephen.
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                      After washing, keep those cylinders oiled inside and out!! The rust marks will go away after you wash and wipe them with WD40. Then apply some engine oil.

Same for the head. Keep the valve guides oiled!!
                      Just so I understand, I'll spray down both sides of the cylinder sleeves with WD40 and then wipe them down with a light coat of oil?

How do I oil the valve guides?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Wipe the rust off with Wd 40 a rag and when the rag comes clean coat with oil.

Aanything to get a coat of oil on it. Wd 40 is good for cleaning and the oil is to keep it from rusting again. You can just oil after washing before it starts to rust next time.
                        Q tips work for getting into the guides.
                        Last edited by Mekanix; 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM.
                        Stephen.
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                          It's OK to clean the cylinders with it, but do NOT use the WD-40 as a rust preventative. It will eventually cause rust in the cylinder.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thank you for the information guys. I did some more cleaning today and made sure I oiled the cylinders before coming back in (didn't do the valve guides but will later this week).

Wiping the WD40 down first and then the oil

Here's where the cylinders are at today.

And the head

I think they are looking pretty good but there's enough scraped away paint that I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me what to look at to know if they are ready for primer and repainting?

Is there any other prep work I should do? I know there are areas I can't get a brush into nor can someone see deep into the recesses but I don't want to do a crappy job either.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Spent the day cleaning off the engine cases and really starting to miss my air compressor already. I'm hoping I can paint tomorrow since that will be the last warm day for the next two weeks but I'm not positive as there's still alot of grime to go.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

Can anyone tell me what to look at to know if they are ready for primer and repainting?
                                Just mask off all that blue stuff on the right side of the picture.

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X