No announcement yet.

81 GS550T Full Rebuild...In Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandblasted the lower triple tree and the side stand but the tip of the gun broke before I could finish the swingarm. I'll take that to the one shop who did my frame and hope they can do it fairly inexpensively.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I know this has lots of reads but am not really sure if anyone has been following it at all. If you have, I sadly have to report it will be going on the back burner for quite awhile as of today. Sadly, my truck's transmission decided to go postal on me on Tuesday and will need to be rebuilt at a pretty hefty cost. Consequently, I will pay for and pick up the parts undergoing powdercoating but nothing else will get done on it for at least the next three or four months.

Hopefully my thread won't be deleted and if I'm lucky enough to find some extra cash for the bike then I'll try to do stuff and post it up. I'm not going to be leaving here though as this is my second home when I'm not out doing other things.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Well I'm watching but not posting much Scott.Sorry to hear about the tranny going south.IIRC this is a no deletes portion of GSR so you are safe.

Comment

Aaah that sucks Scott! Sorry to hear it... life has a way of throwing things in the way of the fun stuff.

However, your thread (and Greg and I at least) will be waiting for the progress to resume

Even with no spare $$$ you'll be surprised at what little things here and there you can get done... I have nothing to put into my little Duc at the moment but I've still found I can pull the wheels apart, look into the 3 speed coaster hub, and other stuff.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Rattle cans and elbow grease don't cost much.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Good call Tom!

sigpic

Comment

True Tom and I can do that but the biggest portion I can't do is to put the engine back together. I don't have any of my engine gaskets yet so without those the project is dead anyway.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Rattle cans and elbow grease don't cost much.
                  Rattle cans are everywhere, but elbow grease happens to be $6.99 for a small tub.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Chin up Scott... every project has setbacks, some take longer than others to recover from... but you will get her done!

sigpic

Comment

Like I said, I set the budget to still pick up my parts I'd already dropped off at the powdercoaters and that's what I did this morning. Course, it wasn't without some excitement as the guy told me a price of $219 on Thursday and then another guy tried telling me $279 today. The guy today honored the $219 but I think the first guy messed up by not adding everything up properly.

Here's the frame:

Upper triple tree, brake bracket, and headlight ears:

And the swingarm and brake stay:

Sorry for the black sheet but that was the closest thing I could grab right now. I went with the gloss black and it seemed at first like everything turned out well. However, I noticed a small nick on the frame already plus what the guy told me were shadows around holes that the hangers went through. I'm hoping they don't rust out but we'll see.

Sadly, i think I'm missing a piece and didn't realize it until I got home long after they closed today. The steering stem/lower triple tree is not here and I think is still sitting on their shelf. I hope I can get it Monday or I'll be looking for another one

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

They look great Scott, nice and shiny

Hopefully you get the lower tree sorted too!

sigpic

Comment

Fortunately, they had my steering stem and side stand so I am lucky

But as they only taped off the upper threads and not the entire stem, will I have problems getting the new bearing on?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Yes. You'll need to get the paint off of diameter the bearing will be pressed onto. The bearing will already have a certain amount of interference for a correct fit. The thickness of the paint will only add to that, if the bearing doesn't just scrape the paint off.

I'd get it off of the shoulder the bearing will be pressed against also, though it's not critical. My concern here is that the bearing has a clean, flat surface to seat against, painted or otherwise. If there are any high spots from a flake of paint or something, the bearing race may not seat squarely to axis of rotation. It will prevent the rollers from making contact all the way around the races. The bearing will not pre-load correctly, it'll wear out early, and you'll never get the right balance of drag in the bearing that allows the bike to track while still damping out vibrations. (This is what keeps the steering from wobbling when you let go of the bars on these neutral-handling bikes.)
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks Dogman. How would you recommend doing it for a powdercoated piece? Is it just as simple as taking a scraper/sandpaper/wire brush to it? Or do I need to sandblast it again and start over?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                                Thanks Dogman. How would you recommend doing it for a powdercoated piece? Is it just as simple as taking a scraper/sandpaper/wire brush to it? Or do I need to sandblast it again and start over?
                                I've never had the opportunity to try removing powdercoat. A quick Googling brings up some unpleasant chemistry. If you have easy access to media blast, I think the thing to do is mask it with some rubber or leather and blast it. Other than that, maybe a soft wire wheel?

Who can tell us the best way to get this stuff off?
                                Dogma
                                --
                                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                                X