Hardtail Bobber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardtail Bobber

I am making a hardtail bobber. I bought a tc brothers hardtail kit for a yamaha xs650, and it lined up pretty well with the suzuki gr650 (I know it's not a gs, but I have a gs750 and gs850, so I hope someone will help me out). I'm pleased with the over all look of it. However, I'm a bit concerned about the welds I made at the bottom tubes. I want to reinforce the welded tubes by bolting on two plates on both sides or on the top and bottom. Kinda like the bolt on hardtails for some triumphs (on the sides). This is my first weldon hardtail so I'm a bit paranoid of losing the back half somewhere down the road.

Anyone ever done anything like that? If so... do you have any suggestions on the best way to go about bolting on?

Thanks,

scudder

Scudder

Hi Scudder, I had a few concerns too when I chopped my 750 many moons ago, ended up welding in gusset plates all over the shop, but in the end had one of my mates sort it out, as he is a professional welder. I think if you have any doubts about the welds, would be well worth getting it checked out by a good welder for your own peace of mind. Best of luck with the project, look forward to seeing a few pics as it progresses.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Thanks. I suppose I'll have a skilled welder take a look at it. As you said, it's worth the piece of mind. Thanks.

Scudder

Comment

Bobber progress

Took a couple photos of the bobber as it looks last night. Still a long ways to go. Put a xl175 honda enduro tank on it that fits nicely with some mods. Decided to go a bit ratty, when I looked at the price of the wassell tank which is what I origninally wanted to use. Biltwell seat is very good quality compared to what I used on a couple other bobbers I've made.

Scudder
        Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

That is one draw back with the gr650. No kick. Don't know if a xs would bolt it, but I'm sure it could be made to work. However, I'm gonna have to stick with the gr at this point. May do an xs next. Just out of curiosity... How much?

Scudder

Comment

Two steps forward, one step back.

A little prgress. Engine is in, and down tube is out. Gonna have to weld the downtube a little farther away on the bottom weld to make room.

Scudder

Comment

I learned what not to do in this process. Not really sure what I'm going to do with the downtube at this point. I'll probably figure a way to move it farther back. I've seen some guys not have a downtube, but I don't trust my welding that much. There are so many little things that have to be down, that one more is not a problem.

My next issue is figuring out how to mount the pegs or forward controls. Forward controls would be the easiest (I think), but I like my feet a little more in the mid range. I've ridden a hardtail with forward controls before and they don't a low the for raising your tail off the seat when you see a big bump coming. They look cool, but they you are 100% committed to the springs of the seat for your rear suspension. I like the option of helping with my legs.

Scudder

Comment

You running open pipes?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Too loud for me. I'm planning on putting baffles in the pipes (like drag pipes) or maybe running shorty mufflers. Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward the baffles and less costly.

Scudder

Comment

Working...
                  X