1979 GS1000L repurpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000L repurpose

I bought it on what i consider a steal now that depends on how deep i have to get into it and my cost. which is not a big deal i plan on keeping it when i am done changing it. i am not sure which way i want to go either back to stock looks or make it into something different. i know i am not wanting to go cafe racer and not sure if i want to go to total bobber either. i want to ride it around town as well as on some curve roads and day rides so nothing that is hard tail or sore butt. I am just now getting into it. it runs and sounds good the carbs seem to be rejeted for the pod filters on it but will know when i take them apart and rebuild them for my own peice of mind i don't know what any of the PO have or haven't done. And to face the facts i won't let my safety rest in their abilities but would rather put it in my own. I have started the tear down the front brakes were hanging up and dragging bad to where i could barely push it around and riding it in the shop was a challenge for the motor to get it moving. So i took them off and man the ease. Here is what she looked like when i brought her home.

She is pretty astetically sound no dents in tank fenders and chrome have very minimal pitting if any. and the wiring harness is a train wreck good thing i am not scared to take it out and see what has been cut spliced and hacked on it. My biggest questions i that first of all the fact is the front fork is not the factory for an L model so which is it? and the brake calipers are they factory they look the very same calipers that is on my buddies 82 GS1100GL. and i want to buy the new oring kit for it but it is not offered for the gs1000l on the CRC2 site and not sure where else to look. I also destroyed the reservoir for the front mastercylinder can i get a replacement and where would i look for one? again cant get it on the crc2 site.
    I want to get it mechanically sound and ride it some before i go to modifying it. i know that will mean tearing it down twice but thats me. I am going to check all bearings including swing arm, wheel, steering, and all others that may be there and need checked. and get the wiring cleaned up as well. thanks for any help on placed to get replacement parts other than what Basscliff has already provided. i have learned alot already and will only ask questions if i am hung up on something i haven't found the answer to by searching the sight. thanks again Rocky
    Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2012, 09:43 PM.

Rocky,

It's a bit hard to tell, but the L should have the leading axle fork, so maybe that's an E fork

Which leads me to ask, when was the accident? The one that bent up the L fork?

I know you didn't crash it, but what I mean is give it a good look, especially at the the front/headlight/instruments/frame to check for crash damage

Too bad you don't want to cafe it, you've already got the bars, even if the PO put them on upside down!

Everything you'll want to know is on the forum. Go over to BasCliff's and download a factory repair manual
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

the headlight housing is cracked as well. but i rode it the only issues in the front end was locked up front brake calipers. i blew the pistons out today with an air hose at work going to rebuild them. I didn't realize the bars were upside down. i thought they were right side up. I do want it to corner well i like to take curves a little to quick just ask My VTX 1800 i have almost worn through the engine guards on it and foot pegs as well. i have been looking at manuals and downloading the service manual. i am just in need of direction for a replacement master cylinder reservior for the front brakes or can i use another master cylinder from another bike that is preferable metal.

Comment

Couple of questions .. my gear indicator lights work when going through the gears. My question is there is six gear lights but only five gears in my transmission. Is there a Suzuki that has six gears? Also how far can you lower these bikes without messing the gymoetry of the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgs1000 View Post
          Couple of questions .. my gear indicator lights work when going through the gears. My question is there is six gear lights but only five gears in my transmission. Is there a Suzuki that has six gears?
          Suzuki was pretty good at using the same part for many different bikes. Your bike only has five forward gears, but they used the same indicator panel on the 450 and 550, which did have six gears.

Also how far can you lower these bikes without messing the gymoetry of the bike?
          You can't lower it (or raise it) any without messing up the geometry. Besides you said earlier that you were interested in higher cornering speeds. Lowering the bike will reduce your clearance, making it touch down earlier than your VTX.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your right my X does sit lower and I see your point. I guess what I really wanna o is make the ride height lower. I like the look of the pan seat low slung. I will have to figure out how to lower the seat and keep the ride height off the pavement. Thanks Steve you know about the front master cylinder replacement I broke the reservoir on mine.

Comment

I looked at the vin on my bike I read 704793. Checked the title it said gs1000704793. Dont think this is right is there somewhere else I can find the vin?

Comment

Thanks Steve you know about the front master cylinder replacement I broke the reservoir on mine.
                New parts are available at any of the online vendors. Some of the favorites are Boulevard Suzuki, G&S Suzuki, Part Shark and Z1 Enterprises.

Z1 does not show most OEM parts on their website, but can order them if you call them.

Looking at your pictures, though, you might have a problem. The parts fiches that I saw show a round reservoir for your bike, the one in your pictures appears to be rectangular. The rectangular reservoirs appeared on the 1980 models, so yours appears to have an upgrade.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks for that bit of information I am sure mine had an upgrade or a swap at one point it no longer has the L forks on it so I assume the used the forks, bars, grips and all from another bike so gonna be hard to figure out if it is factory equipment and if so what dad blame year or aftermarket and what brand .

Comment

Starting to chase down all the wiring wrong doings.

I didn't know where this connector went but figured out it is the rear lights connector. They had made it the direct power for the coils bypassing the on off switch

Comment

Thanks for that bit of information I am sure mine had an upgrade or a swap at one point it no longer has the L forks on it so I assume the used the forks, bars, grips and all from another bike so gonna be hard to figure out if it is factory equipment and if so what dad blame year or aftermarket and what brand .
                      If they simply slid "new" fork tubes in the standard triple trees, it will upset the steering geometry and your bike will not handle like it should.

Please show us a picture of the upper triple, taken from above the gas tank, looking down the fork tubes. Does not matter if the handlebars are still attached, we should be able to see if you still have the "L" triple or if it has been changed, along with the forks.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I didn't know where this connector went but figured out it is the rear lights connector. They had made it the direct power for the coils bypassing the on off switch
                        I am not so sure that you are correct in assuming that is the "rear lights connector". With those colors, it appears to be the wires to the gear position indicator and the starter solenoid.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

I looked at the vin on my bike I read 704793. Checked the title it said gs1000704793.
                          The second number is in the correct format for a 1979 Suzuki.

The bikes after 1981 had the new standardized format.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

wiring harness removed

i got the harness off last night after testing the charging system. finding out that the after market or incorrect R/R that is installed is wrong. i will take a picture from atop the triple tree tonight. the best i can tell is that the caliper for the front brake match up to the microfiche of the 82 1100gl. but not completely sure it don't match up with any others. I found the **** indicator and starter solenoid they were still connected and working. the only wire out of place is the Yellow Green wire that is actually spliced in to another wire a little down the harness. The PO really did a number on the harness gonna take a couple days to figure it out but got the majority of it worked out and labeled now to repair the nicks and cuts and crimps in it oh and all the jerry rigging to it. I am adding up all the connectors and going to go to a junk yard and start collecting the GM weather proof connectors off wiring harnesses in junk cars. I can't afford to buy the crimp tool and all the connectors might as well get them off junk. here is a few pic of where it stands now taken the batttery and little side panel off that held the fuses, solenoid, and R/R going to relocate and clean it all up.

thanks for the information on the serial number.

Comment

i am not sure though about that connector i am going to run it out on the diagram and try and figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X