77 GS750 or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS750 or no?

Well, this is the bike I'm considering buying. It looks to be in reasonable shape. I know the owner personally, so I trust him not to BS me. I'm already sure the chain will need replaced as well as the tires at a minimum not to mention carb cleaning, plug replacement etc... Does it look like a good buy for $750 just based on the pics. I know a lot could be lurking under the surface, but I'm just interested based on the knowledge base of this forum.

If in fact I do buy this bike, I'll use this thread to track any progress made in cleaning it up and repairing it. If I chose to not buy it, I'll delete this thread or notifiy a mod. Whatever the prefered method is here.

Nice looking bike!
    You might not want to give a phone number out to the current owner as other members might try to buy it from under you. LOL.

Comment

$750 seems a bit high for what it is but take note that some of us, including me, are innately thrifty. Does it run? how many miles are on it? what shape is the paint? The bike looks like it will need a lot of work but even the shiny/clean looking bikes need a lot of work. $500 or less would be maybe a more fair price in my head.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I messaged him about the mechanical situation. Haven't heard back yet. There's a guy I work with that has a 76 GS750 for $500. Seems similar in condition but the cards are gunked up bad and the paint is "weathered" I reckon faded. That's what one of my co-workers that saw it said.

Comment

Man..these things are falling out of the tree's for you!! Don't be worried about carbs being 'gunked' as no matter what old bike you buy you will probably have to do a carb rebuild. And faded paint can sometimes come out great with wax and buffing. Go have a look.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Try to purchase both bikes and you will have plenty of spare parts?

Comment

Is registration current? Not sure if you're used to buying things but a lot of people over look that or if it has any type of lien against it for unpaid fines/fees and overpay. If so, you have a hell of a lot of room to get it at a better price than $750 which is otherwise a good price if it is in riding condition, the tank is free of rust and all mechanical parts work free and clear as designed.

Comment

Hi. My two cents worth is I just bought a running (roughly) 78 for $500. Needs painted, tires, maintenance and overall road worthiness checked. Just an FYI.

Comment

The co-workers bike does have new brakes and tires fwiw. I'm really anxious to find out more info and hope I can get the wife on board. She's tolerant of my shenanigans, so perhaps I'll get her to go along. I doubt she'd ride with me and don't worry about the class, I can promise it would be a condition of purchase, not that I'd argue that either way though.

Besides, when I want to go fast, I prefer 4 wheels. I love my '06 Charger R/T.

Comment

Originally posted by Terpfan76 View Post

Besides, when I want to go fast, I prefer 4 wheels. I love my '06 Charger R/T.
                    That won't last.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      That won't last.

No promises

Comment

Working...
                      X