Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything is done except the carburetors. Chain and sprockets installed, clutch cable's hooked up, stator wired in, starter cable, put the old points ignition back in, replaced the rear caliper bolts that I stole for the 1000E, header bolts are tight, every wire on the bike is connected, oil filter cover is there, oil is in the engine, air is in the tires. Even took the bike down off the table. Getting close.....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yeah, we are following you every hour!

Comment

Do you have the carbs you need Tom?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, missing a few little pieces yet. I think I can get er done today.

Comment

arf, ok!
            Waiting for U.

Comment

She runs! And sounds a lot more snappier than before too. Out for a ride.....

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

Pain it the butt to get the K&N air filters on, the frame is just too small and close to the carbs. Had to remove the clamps to make the filters more flexible, slide them in place using screwdrivers to fold the rubber part over and then thread the clamps in afterwards. The left side is worse, the clutch cable is in the way. Then the gas tank wouldn't fit, the petcock hits the top of the carburetor. I can use a different petcock with the fuel hose clocked differently, but for now a block of wood to hold the tank up a little higher.

OK, short ride. Apparently when I took the valve cover off to time the cams, I neglected to torque the bolts. Or even tighten them. Oil all over everything before I slowed down enough to see the smoke. My new boots are waterproofed, at least the front of them. Powdercoat seems to withstand hot oil just fine.

Second thing, it's rich as can be. Blubbering the whole way, I actually was slowing down to turn around and go home when I saw the smoke.... DynoJet and me are not on the same page about this high elevation thing. I used a lower needle position and smaller main jet than they suggested, it's not even close.

Third thing, one carb is having float issues, leaks if you set it on the side stand. Have to get back in there...

Fourth thing, Holy **** Does This Thing Move!! A ton more power down low, maybe three times the torque it had at low very RPM? More torque at three or four thousand than it had at seven thousand before. Easier to get going from a stop than the 750, seems quicker off the line, more effortless. Front comes up a bit just whacking the throttle, it never did that before without using the clutch.

Don't know about the top end kick the 550s always had, that should be gone with the 650 cams, should just be stronger everywhere.
                  Last edited by tkent02; 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I had the same frustration with Dynojet, now I'm ready to go back to the stock jets and needles for my 7/11 project.
                    The 48HP, plus the 90 mile range of the 3 gal tank on my 550T was what disappointed me. If it had the power you're talking about, I would have kept it.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Congratulations on the sucessfull conversion! This thread convinced me to start collecting parts for this conversion as well.

While the power curve of my 550 suited me very, very well, being a beginner (just recently got 7k kms under my belt), I begin to wish for just a tad little more sometimes.

Easier to get going from a stop than the 750, seems quicker off the line, more effortless...

Is the 750 that much heavier? (i.e. power-to-weight that much worse?)
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

The 750s are great bikes, but this one is probably as powerful or will be once it's carbureted correctly, has also higher gear ratios in first, (lower speed, higher acceleration) and it is somewhat lighter. Not sure how much but you do notice it pushing them both around.

Comment

DJ gave me 160s and 155s, said to use the 160, I used the 155 and it's way too rich. I have three DJ 142s and a Mikuni 140, I'll try those next. Need to make a tool to remove the float bowls in situ, pulling the carburetors out of this thing is way too hard. Maybe a cut off allen wrench stuck in a tiny socket or something. It's a lot tighter than the big engines.

Comment

One of these guys would be helpful.
                            Model # ADA1PC byKaufhof. A great tool for the do-it-yourselfer ! Attaches to any 1/4" electric or air drill. If an identical item is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute an item of equal or greater value at our discretion.

Comment

Or a 1/4 drive twist handle ratchet. They are pricey tho.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                ... it's way too rich. I have three DJ 142s and a Mikuni 140, I'll try those next.
                                Don't forget, Dynojet sizes are not on the same sizing scale/units as Mikuni. One is flow rated, the other is rated based on physical size increments

'77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X