Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roeme View Post

Where's the redline after the 699 conversion anyway? (I presume it's dictated by how fast the valves can close/open)
    Redline? You're kidding, right? This is based on a 550 after all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
      About your jetting, you said it's pretty close...could you tell us more about your jetting configuration? I know you are not at sea level but it's just to get a referenice. Thanks!
      Jetting is lean. I'll put in bigger mains and try it again. I'll posit up what I end up with.

Comment

Huh, that's interesting, that sounds like my stock 550?

Begins to pull at 4-5k, dropping off around eight, and hitting a wall at nine
        Something is wrong, 9,000 RPM should be the start of it's happy place. Should take off like a shot after that.

Comment

So why did Suzuki bother to put in a redline at all?

In all seriousness, I'd really like to know why this particular engine is able to withstand RPMs well beyond 9500k (which is the redline on my tach).
          There is a lot of conflicting information floating around.

Begins to pull at 4-5k, dropping off around eight, and hitting a wall at nine (...)

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Something is wrong, 9,000 RPM should be the start of it's happy place. Should take off like a shot after that.
          Well tbh my statement has to be taken with a grain of salt, since I'm still a novice, and around here we don't really have the roads (and laws) for me to really check torque at these RPM's.
          I'll investigate further.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

All I know is I have been winding the crap out of several 550s for 38 years, well past the red line any time I wanted to go fast. Purposely to 10,000 or 11,000, if it hits 12,000 so be it. Never had one up so high the power dropped off, never had any valves float or anything like that, never had one take any damage or do anything but run perfectly. After 120,000 miles of this we took one apart because of leaky gaskets, all of the metal parts were within service limits, cam chain, pistons, rings, all of it.

A GS550 at anything less than about 7,000 RPM is a real dog.

Comment

The 550/650's share the same valve springs as the larger bikes, only the valves themselves are smaller/lighter so the rev ceiling is higher. 12,000 rpm shouldn't cause any valve float issues, although the power band may start to sag due to cam timing.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                12,000 rpm shouldn't cause any valve float issues, although the power band may start to sag due to cam timing.
                Yeah, you would think, but you would be wrong. The 550 cam timing is ridiculous. The main reason I am using the 650 cams in my 550/675, they have a much more normal power band, including some low end grunt. No longer do I have to go to 6,000 RPM to start out from a stop. Not sure yet what it will do up top, it doesn't have that huge kick starting at 9,000, but it still goes pretty good. I'll know more when I get the carburetors dialed in.

Comment

hey again!
                  Did some acelerations that evening, the acceleration is incredible for a "650" one, I share the same point of view with you on that swap. for the carb settings, I'm too lean at 1/4, 1/8th throttle, but I think I'm close at WOT, the bike goes past 4000 rpm as a bullet --> 142.5 mikuni mains. I'm located at few metters from the sea level.

Comment

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
                    hey again!
                    Did some acelerations that evening, the acceleration is incredible for a "650" one, I share the same point of view with you on that swap. for the carb settings, I'm too lean at 1/4, 1/8th throttle, but I think I'm close at WOT, the bike goes past 4000 rpm as a bullet --> 142.5 mikuni mains. I'm located at few metters from the sea level.
                    OK Boris, can't remember your cam or intake or exhaust. All affect carburetion. I just went from DJ 152 mains to DJ 160, seems better but haven't ridden it much, have another float problem going on now.

Comment

tkent, Nessism, thanks for the valuable information.

(...) After 120,000 miles of this we took one apart because of leaky gaskets, all of the metal parts were within service limits, cam chain, pistons, rings, all of it.(...)
                      This mirrors my experience somewhat and gives me confidence; I had the valve shims checked just the other day on my daily 550 (didn't do it myself because the other one isn't yet ready), unknown PO story re. servicing, 70244kms, one shim was out of tolerance, at 0.1mm.

A GS550 at anything less than about 7,000 RPM is a real dog.
                      Looks like I'm in for some fun. But not to further derail the thread.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I think we have the same configuration, 673cc, bs32 carbs, gs 550 cams. I also have velocity stacks, and an open 4/1 exhaust. And, the head is ported. About the main jets I did not any plug chop yet, so maybe still lean but it really start after 4000 rpm. Idle is OK.

Comment

OK, I was way lean with the DJ 152, put in the DJ160. That's equivalent to going from a Mikuni 142.5 to a Mikuni 150. Not sure if it's right yet but it's winding out better.
                          With your velocity stacks instead of pods I would bet you are too lean, Boris.

Comment

OK thanks. I'm so surprised that they have to be soon big for this engine. I will switch again and try... thanks

Comment

Still not big enough mains, it's better but still runs better at 4/5 throttle than wide open. Now I have to see which jets I have around here... Maybe steal some from the extra set of 1100G carbs...

Comment

This project has no end…
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X