Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinging is less of a problem here in Colorado, but if it does I can get a stiffer advance spring or smaller weight or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My kingdom for a petcock. Preferably one that works.

Edit: Found one in the box of petcock parts. Works fine once the O ring in the vacuum valve was replaced.
      Just need some of those rubber coated washers for the mounting bolts….
      Last edited by tkent02; 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Any progress on the bike?

Comment

No, didn't even look at it this month.

Comment

April Update...

It runs and rides, everything mostly works.

Only one tiny oil leak around the oil filter, but thats all coming off anyway.

Compression is 102 - 100 - 105 - 108, pretty good considering where it was. (and still testing it at 6,000 ft) Idles smooth, although the carbs are still a little off, just using shop rags for air filters at the moment. No sign of any pinging or detonation, but it was quite cold out when I rode it.

Haven't ridden a 550 in a long time, I like it. Quick, light, nimble, and with the dual 650E brakes, stops very well.

May update coming... In May.

Comment

Good news Tom!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Ok, K&N pods are on, have to fix the battery cable tomorrow, and give it one more once over for loose fasteners and such, and go out for a little day ride. I'll go at the crack of dawn, while the cops are still on their way to the donut shop. Not that I would ever do anything illegal or anything.....

Comment

If a motorcyclist speeds and there's no one around to see it, does he actually break the law?

Comment

What law ?

Comment

May Update....

There is no May Update. No parts came from G&S Suzuki, despite making the order very early in the month. No package, no emails, nothing except a lie about having shipped most of the stuff, and that only after I called them. All that happened was I rode it around the block a few times, dinked around with some wires, and pushed it in and out of the shop a few times to make room to work on a few other bikes.

Maybe my parts will arrive in time for the June Update.

Aparently G&S Suzuki now has too many customers, and is trying to "thin the herd".
                      It's working.

Comment

What a joke on your parts order. Pathetic business.
                        Any luck on the 1 over pistons? I saw 2 NOS ones on e bay last week for 25$ each iirc.

Comment

No, this first one I'm just going to use the stock 650 stuff.

The second engine is the one that needs the bigger pistons, not sure what I'll use.

Comment

June update:

Got some of the parts from G&S Suzuki, the ones ordered in early May.
                            Some of the parts.
                            That's about it for June. Too much really cool stuff getting in the way this month. Maybe I'll ride it around the block again.
                            Last edited by tkent02; 06-17-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Ummm... you ordered parts in early May and you're receiving *some* of them in mid-June???!!!

Man that's about 2 weeks longer than it takes me to order and receive stuff from Boulevard... and I've got an ocean in the way!
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

So no new work for almost a month? C'mon tkent02. I need you to finish this build as I'm contemplating the 650/550 mod myself now that my gsx600 swap looks like its not gonna work. Time to get to work!
                                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                                X