Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new carbide bit/burr, using a cutting wax helps prevent it from clogging. It's still going to happen to some extent.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks I got it done. Couldn't figure out why it didn't fit, actually had to take a lot of material off the webbing between the cylinders, fairly close to the crankshaft where it gets wider...

I'll get a pic or two.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, a lot more has to come off than what you think just looking at it.

So, what did you finally decide? Are you building out the entire bike or just the engine and putting it into the new 550 you bought?
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

For now, throwing the first 650 engine in the new one, it is really slow for a 550, not sure why. Think I will take the front 650 brakes off the other one, or maybe the twinpot brake conversion if it fits easily on the 650 forks. I think it does. That gives me a rider so I can take my time doing the original one.

Comment

Took a lot more grinding than I would have guessed.

No way you could do it with the bottom end still together and not get particles everywhere.

Also had to look underneath a dozen times to see where to cut next. Couldn't do that at all doing it with the engine intact..

But now it fits!

The rest of the engine looks new inside, no wear on the dogs, shift forks, everything looks as new.

Still have to measure the crank better but at first glance it looks great.

New stator, or maybe just near zero miles on an original. Not discolored at all.

Comment

Won't be long now. You gonna degree the cams right? They are timed very oddball from Suzuki for some reason. And yeah, my stock 550 was no road burner either tkent. The 650 and newly timed cams really awakened the bike, especially above 6-7K.

For jetting, I recommend getting the needles and mains from a set of the 650 carbs as your starting point. The needle is very different than the 550 needle and affects the jetting the most. I kept the 550 pilots but may swap those out come spring as it takes just a little to long to start when cold.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                Won't be long now. You gonna degree the cams right? They are timed very oddball from Suzuki for some reason. And yeah, my stock 550 was no road burner either tkent. The 650 and newly timed cams really awakened the bike, especially above 6-7K.

For jetting, I recommend getting the needles and mains from a set of the 650 carbs as your starting point. The needle is very different than the 550 needle and affects the jetting the most. I kept the 550 pilots but may swap those out come spring as it takes just a little to long to start when cold.
                I haven't ridden a 550 in thirty years, but it seems slow. OK torque right off the bat, it gets going OK above 8,000 or so, but no mid range punch at all. My 650G was much much faster in the midrange. I think I need to go for a ride on the other one to compare. Have ony ridden it around the block since it has no lights, never really opened it up. I have been through everything else on the new 550, clean filter, decent compression, carburetion is close, no clutch slip or anything. Only thing I can think of is it could still have a clogged exhaust. I have a 4-1 I can throw on it for test ride purposes.

I am planning on rewelding a stock 650 header into a 4-2-1 try Y pipe, and using a Ducati muffler. I think that will have good torque, fairly light and should sound great. Also have a stock 650 exhaust I could use, but I don't want all that weight.

I am going to use the carbs from the 650, as my 550 carbs are VM, and they suck with the huge elevation changes around here. I think stock jetting should work for starters, if I can get the front half of the stock 650 airbox to fit. May use the filter half of the 550 box, may go with one big K&N filter on the back of the airbox, might just go with K&N pods. It all depends on what fits in the 550 frame.

Unfortunately that's it for now. I have to go to work. Someone has to deliver all of your Christmas presents, and as always there's the rubber dog **** to deliver...

Comment

I was looking at the cams today. Have both the 650 and the 550 cams to choose from. Which did you use and how did you set them? I know I need to use the 550 sprockets.

Comment

I used the 550 cams. However, if midrange is what you are after, the 650 cams are better. The 550 cams will put out more power up top. I ran 105/107 numbers. If using the 650 cams, I believe Suzuki Don ran 106/108.

I also am running the twin k&n filters. I don't think they flow as good as pods but better than the stock air box. And, I can pull the rack, change jets, and reinstall in just under an hour. K&N pods would be even easier which I have thought about switching over to. The space is tight in there and the twins just barely fit. In facts they touch the frame when installed.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Yeah, probably want the midrange more than the top end power. I can switch cams easily enough later. Try them both out. You are using 105/107, where were they set originally?

Yeah even with the VM carbs there's not much room, the K&Ns juat almost hit the frame.

Comment

Progress. Powdercoating is great.

Unfortunately I don't have a full sized oven yet, so painting these…

The 675 Engine is going together the next few days.

Comment

Wow, I really like that color on the covers. Looks sweet!

Sorry Tom, I did not check the factory cam timing as Suzuki_Don already did in his build thread. They used a really odd timing. In fact, it was backwards to normal, something like 108/106. Check his build thread. There's a ton of good info in there.

Got up to 55 today and took her out as a matter of fact. So much fun running her up to 10k rpm. And it has such a sweet sound out of the pipe. I wonder how long she'll last with me giving it hell all the time haha!
                          Last edited by Sci85; 01-13-2014, 12:42 AM.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                            Wow, I really like that color on the covers. Looks sweet!

Sorry Tom, I did not check the factory cam timing as Suzuki_Don already did in his build thread. They used a really odd timing. In fact, it was backwards to normal, something like 108/106. Check his build thread. There's a ton of good info in there.
                            Now I can't find his thread or yours…

Comment

Woo Hooo! the guy with the full sized kitchen oven came through, its sitting on the back porch of the bike garage. Now I can powdercoat the cases too. Spent an hour and more getting that black paint out of the cooling fins on the lower case, the upper has more paint but a lot less cooling fins.
                              Should have waited!

Comment

That is going to be one beautiful engine indeed. I like the modern graphite color on those covers. Or is that just the lighting?

Comment

Working...
                                X