Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 7-11 Swap in Progress!

Hey Guys
    So I thought I would kick off a thread with pics of my 7-11 swap. My GS 750L is in need of an overhaul. Head Gasket started leaking like a sieve about 300 miles ago. It has gotten continually worse to the point where now she sits in a pool of her own oil and don't run her for I don't need an oil sprinkler going off in my garage... At 40K miles I know major overhaul on my bike will cost a pretty penny. So I decided to look into a 7-11 swap. Lucky for me Frakenzuki shot me a PM for an affordable and local 1100 motor with 11k miles on it.

So here's what I did and where I'm at and my process(for any noob that stumbles upon this)

Start with my bike:

a very de-L'd bike. this picture was take awhile ago however you get the idea of what it looks like complete.

First thing I did was disconnected the battery and all the Electrical components off the motor, Starter wire, Stator wires, gear indicator harness and oil pressure sensor wire.

VERY IMPORTANT TO KILL THE CIRCUIT WITH THE BATTERY!!!

Next step was Removal of the seat and tank and then went the Dyna S unit since I will be using it for my 1100.

Next I removed all mechanical connecting components, Exhaust, Sprocket cover, front sprocket, Carbs, Clutch cable, tach cable, Spark plug wires and engine mounts so that the motor was completely disconnected to the Bike.
    Side from the Left

Side from the Right

As per factory Manual I removed the motor out of the right side of the frame.

Centering the Jack under the engine I raised and lowered the engine to wiggle it out of the cradle. Lots of elbow grease is needed for this part of the task. Finally got it out and onto a tin where I slide the motor away from the now rolling chassis.

ENGINE OUT! Took little over an hour.

SO THESE MOUNTS SUCK!!!! I would have had the engine out a full 20 minutes early if I didn't have to work around these suckers! I've read that i can remove some mounts I'm hoping these are the ones!!! they seem redundant anyway... I think my b-12 had less mounts.

So here she sits!!! Waiting for the new motor (picking up on Sunday). Going to clean up the frame & components and lay a new coat of paint on some roughed up spots.

Also cleaning my shop up now too. anyone can point me in the right direction about the mounts I can delete that would be stellar!
    Thanks
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Not sure what the problem is with those lower engine mounts. My 750E has the same mounts and we just had to tilt the motor a bit forward and lift, came out easy. Had a bit of a problem putting the engine back in though, turned out one of the oil filter cover nuts was hanging on the frame, easy fix, take the oil filter cover off when you reinstall. Once you get the motor back in, just put a small floor jack underneath, you can align and stab the motor mount bolts by yourself. I did have a slight problem with the two bottom center mounts, not real sure why they are needed. Maybe one of the GS Gurus can expand on those.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 11-13-2012, 12:51 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Don't remove those mounts! They are needed to locate the engine in the correct place!
      Never had any problem with them being hard to work around. Maybe you need a bigger stronger assistant.

The ones farther forward under the engine are sometimes removed, but welding new mounts on the frame to fit the engine would be a better idea…

On my '79 750 - 1000 swap one side was easy, just fabricate a plate, but the other side required some welding on the frame.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks guys. I removed the engine with just Me, Myself and, I. When the 1100 goes in I'll have a couple of assistants.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

You are he-man. Just took out my motor last week and it took two of us and we laid it down on its side. Are you putting that E tank on this, or is it an extra?

Comment

what model peavey is that?

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
              You are he-man. Just took out my motor last week and it took two of us and we laid it down on its side. Are you putting that E tank on this, or is it an extra?
              Get one of those cheap furniture dollies from HF. Motor sits on it real nice and you can move it with ease.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                what model peavey is that?
                A GS peavey??
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Nah I just got the tools. Work smart not hard is what I say. I memorized the manual too before I started thr project. But it was heavy at times. Figured an hour alone was good. As for the Tank, no Im not using it, why you want it Wedoo?

Blower what do you mean model Peavy? Lost on that.

Thanks for the input guys!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Lol... Sorry now I get it. It a twin Tube 3 range Keyboard concert AMP... I use it to play music while I work on my bikes. I did play in a couple a bands the thing cranks pretty good. I'll shot you a model when I get home if your really want.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      Lol... Sorry now I get it. It a twin Tube 3 range Keyboard concert AMP... I use it to play music while I work on my bikes. I did play in a couple a bands the thing cranks pretty good. I'll shot you a model when I get home if your really want.
                      i seen its a single 12" maybe??
                      i always keep my eyes open for peavey tube amps just in case....

FYI
                      when you get the 1100 engine bolted in solid...
                      take a cereal box and make a temp-let for the right and left lower engine mounts..the triangles.
                      on this conversion you will need "offset triangle's" on the bottom mounts instead of factory triangle's.
                      the 750 mount luggs are located different than the 1000/1100/1150's.

Comment

So I cleaned up the frame tore out the wiring harness cleaned all the connectors and visable wires, painted the frame and replaced the brake fluid for merry measure.
                        step 1

laying the harness back in and started to snake the wires for least visibility as possible.

View of the battery area. Allot of grime and oil everywhere... The motor was flinging it every where! Cleaned up and painted where it needed it.

Installed the tank and seat to make sure wires looked good and well organized when visible and no unnecessary wires exposed.

looking allot better.

Wires are concealed and ran much better now then before. Much cleaner looking. About 4 hours worth of work tonight.

Vacating the Garage for it smells like electrical cleaner. There's not much more that I can do now, Next step is cleaning the oil and burnt oil off my exhuast and buffing it up so that it looks 100% snazzy.

Also need to need to figure out what I will be running for Carbs on the motor. I believe the Carbs on my 750 are 34mm CV's I also have a set of 26mm Mechanical VMs. Not sure which Carbs to run and what jets to run in them. Suggestions???

Ignition is set with the Dyna S.

And this Pic is for Blower

Peavy KB 60. Twin tube, dual channel, 12" dual voice main with a 3" tweeter. It's perfect for the broad wave spectrum you need with a Synthesizer.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Reviewed my Carbs and they are stock 750 carbs, so they wont work... Any one Need a good clean set? Dynojet stage 3 kit installed!!!

So I ordered a set of carbs that came off a running bike and need to be cleaned. Off a 1983 GS1100E.

I also Ordered a stage 3 dyno Jet Kit, for Pods and my 4-1 Side-winder are going to be used.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

This would be a time to upgrade your old rubber brake lines to SS lines. You're going a bigger motor, need better stop. It would also be a good time to service your swing arm bearings and bearings in general. Have you considered a chain and sprocket conversion 630-530?
                            Last edited by mrbill5491; 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

All Bearings, wheel, steering head and swing arm were all replaced last year. Also did the 530 chain conversion using a X-ring Hayabusa rated chain. It's was a $280 chain 13,000 lbs tensile strength I think. One of the best I could buy, forged steel sprockets. Drive wise the bike is ready to go. Front Brakes are from an 1100E NOS rubber line 2 years ago. Can't bring the brake lever to the bar. Brakes are adequate as well.
                              Last edited by Jedz123; 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X