85 GS550 light rehab over the winter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 GS550 light rehab over the winter.

Not really a restoration, but it is a little bit of a project, and I figure better to post here than to put lots of posts all over the board, or have a running commentary in the owners thread.

Bought the bike 'right', it is a 1985 GS550L, it isn't my first choice of bike, but its pretty clean, 4500 original miles, been lightly crashed twice from what I can tell, probably the first owner dropped it and was scared off, and the second owner's neighbor knocked it down in its parking spot.

I'm the 3rd owner, and with a little luck, it won't get dropped any more.

Like any 27 year old machine, it isn't perfect, and will need some stuff to get it ready for what will surely be the busiest year of its life to date.

What I identified that needs attention so far:

Gauge cluster is broken where the bracket mounts to the cluster itself.. My plan is to plastic weld the broken pieces back on, straighten the mount and fix or replace one of the chrome covers that got damaged.

PO installed something resembling a superbike style handlebar, and the cables are too long now. I looked into cables from the E model of the same year, but before I buy them I am going to try to reroute the cables on the other side of the frame, to use up the slack. I know to be careful with routing, and if it looks like anything will cause concern I will just buy new, shorter cables.

PO also bought an aftermarket brake line that is about the right length, but I need a different angle banjo bolt to route the hose where it should go.

Back tire is junk, over 10 years old, and after some discussion in the tire sub forum, I decided on a matched set of Avon Roadriders. I'll be getting those installed tomorrow.

Being knocked down broke the turn signals on one side, the PO had bought aftermarket 'sporty' looking signals, I canned that idea and bought OE replacements. I do think I want to install 1157 sockets and use the turns as running lights as well.

The master cyl cover is ground up a lil bit, not sure if it got into the surface that seals it, may have to dig up a replacement. Hoping not.

The headlight mounting ear on the right side is bent, my plan is just to straighten it. The headlight bezel is dinged but functional, I'll replace it if I come across a better one thats not a ridiculous price.

The battery was boiled dry, unsure if it leaked out when the bike was on its side, or if the regulator boiled it out, I ordered the compufire RR to replace it, the series reg just sounds like the right way to do it, and I don't want issues with charging. I also ordered a trugel battery, and I am looking at several voltmeters, and have almost settled on the kuryakyn, mostly because there is a guy on ebay selling a super trick mount for it. It just seems smart to have a way to keep an eye on the charging system.

Other things in the works- I want to have the seat modified a bit, I am planning on approaching an upholstery shop here in town, Im thinking a little more height, a littkle less width, and not anywhere near as soft... more like a sport bike seat, with minimal padding at the lip in the seat to hopefully give me a little more space to move around. I'll probably pick up a second seat pan to do this, so I have the OE seat to put back on if desired.

I ordered some bikevis bullets and a modulator for them, a PIAA night tech headlamp, and xtreme white taillamp, and intend to order at least a modulator for the headlight, and possible something for the back of the bike.

So thats where I am.. my goal is to have a clean stock bike with sensible mods for safety and rideabilty.

About the only major upgrade Id like to make would be dual front disc brakes, but I think that may be a tall order, I have to presume the E model has shorter legs, and changing geometry is not something I want to do on this bike.

Anyway, here is a pic of what she looked like the day I brought her home-

That is a beautiful bike thanks for sharing.
    Got anymore pictures?

Comment

Very nice looking bike...

Comment

I need to try to remember my password for photobucket, till then its one at a time.

Here is where she is today, in my little utility closet in my apartment.. one of the benefits of being single I suppose..

Taking the wheels in today to have new rubber mounted, and to pick up the new air filter, battery, and misc odds and ends..

Need new shoes too, apparently they had em adjusted too tight or rode the pedal all the time.. danged noob riders.. lol..

Ordered replacement hardware for the street shield fairing, along with about 20 bucks in OE washers, screws and bolts yesterday, I get a lil OCD when it comes to hardware and if I can get the original stuff I prefer it over hardware store stuff.

Comment

I got my compufire regulator yesterday, man is that thing BIG. It's not going to fit where the stock on is, on mine its located on a rear frame down tube, snuggled in next to the rear shock linkage.

Im considering relocating it to the front down tubes above the exhaust, there is a nice solid crosspiece that I can install a couple rivet nuts and fab up a mounting plate to attach there.. should be outta the way and in the air.. Im still looking to see if I have other options..

Tires are mounted and balanced, the avons needed very little lead to be right.. waiting on shoes and a handful of other parts so I can dig into the gauge pack..

I went ahead and set up a new photobucket account, I'll be taking lots of pics for the gauge work, and the regulator relocation and associated wiring..

Here is a shot of the reg where it sits currently, and where I am thinking I will have to move it to.

And the wheels.. you cant tell where I started polishing the aluminum bits of the rim, but they are considerably more shiny than they were.

Comment

Hmm.. it will be warm above the headers, but I'm not wanting to do major restructuring of whats there, like moving fuse panels.. maybe I'll have to see if I can shoehorn it it where the oe one is with a custom mount.

Comment

Been lax in keeping up with this but I have made progress on the bike, I fixed the busted plastic mounts on the cluster so it could be mounted, re-routed all the cables for the shorter bars (need to work on the clutch cable but it will work and be safe for now) Changed oil and filter, installed a new suzuki air filter, new gel battery, got the wheels and tires installed, pulled the carbs and did a light cleaning (they looked nice inside, good news) installed new fuel line, and a bunch of misc stuff like getting signals all mounted up.. even had an opportunity to give it a quick spin around the cul de sac to make sure it was road ready..

Now on to the inspection for a salvage rebuilt title (the 18th.. looks like rain that day too) so I can get my tags

Also just took a job at a local motorcycle shop for at least the summer.. shame I already bought all my gear, coulda used a discount

Still waiting to see how Im going to mount the regulator.. figure I'll get it on the road and i'll be able to take it to a friends shop thats equipped to do some custom mounting.

Comment

I ended up using the earlier suggestion and mounted my compufire reg where the fuses were, and relocated them behind the battery, under the seat. The entire project took a little over an hour and looks like original equipment. The charging system seems to be doing great now, i had a moment of concern when my kuryakyn voltage meter was flashing at 11 volts with engine off, key on, but when I hook up my battery tender it charges for about a minute and goes green.. I suppose the fact I have the positive lead on my headlight circuit at the moment has something to do with the voltage drop to the gauge.

That leaves me with needing to replace fork seals.. Im thinking I am going to try to pop them out without fully disassembling the forks.. I've done it successfully in the past on old hondas, and since this is a 4000 mile bike Im thinking the anti friction sliders should still be in good shape.. I just dont have the factory tools to take the fork apart nor the money needed to have the shop do it.

I have put a couple hundred miles on her and she runs like a new one, starts right up, has a steady idle, and is quiet.

Overall I'm very happy with what I got for my relatively small investment.. now time to find another project.. still got a line on a nice GS1100, think I need to make that happen.

Comment

So this little build journal went nowhere, I didn't take pictures while I was working and didn't really document anything.

The good news is that the project got done.. I replaced the fork seals, installed green dyna coils, adjusted the valves, cleaned all the connectors on the bike, and lots of little etceteras.

I have ridden about 4000 miles this summer, a lot of it to work and back but a few trips up into farm country for some pretty nice rides.

I do have two upcoming projects that I intend to document, I am getting the solid state power box from posplayer when its ready, and I am going to do a dyna 2000 ignition with a goal of making a nice template for the custom timing plate, and any rotor modifications that are needed. I anticipate having to modify the timing cover for clearance as well.

The bike runs pretty well, charges fine, has a small gremlin I am attributing to the stock ignition after eliminating any other possible causes, but it only rears its head once in while, and clears up quick (at least so far)

Comment

Glad to hear you got it finished.....

at least a parting picture would be nice......

Comment

I'll post some soon, I'll be working on it in a few days and I'll make sure to have the camera handy. It hasn't really changed much in physical appearance since I got it, all the work has been under the skin.

Comment

Just running around Columbus, stopped for a cold drink and a smoke.

A covered bridge close to my childhood home, I have pictures of my old 850 here as well.

I've done more work to the cluster since this pic, but I was trying to show the kuryakyn voltage meter in a slick aluminum holder I found someone selling on eBay. Its intended for Cushman scooters but fits a 7/8" bar.

New intake boots, with new Suzuki O-rings and stainless hardware sourced from our local hardware store, who happens to have a fantastic hardware section.

Dyna 3ohm coils. I had to cut on the mounts a decent amount to get them to fit, and the forward mount is scary close to the screw holding the signal wire. You can put a business card between them. I will at some point make a bracket so I can use the other coil mount hole.

One more pic of the bike.

Comment

lovely bike
                          the chromed case guards really set it off.

Comment

Working...
                          X