Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750L: Farm Fresh

Greetings everyone.

I've stumbled on a rough but fairly complete GS750L that I am considering buying.

No title, forks are "tweeked" a bit, side covers missing, but - potential......

I was thinking about offering a couple hundred bucks -

Thoughts?

Does it run ? That 2nd generation 16v 750 has top-end oiling issues. If you can't get it to at least turn over *I* wouldn't offer more than $100.

Remove the ignition cover and try to turn the engine clockwise with a 19mm wrench/socket. If it spins, then, you "should" be good.

What the heck do people do with these sidecovers ?!?!
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I paid $300 for mine, not running with a title. That bikes looks pretty rough. I'd say no more than $100 because you don't know if you can even get a title for it.

Comment

I bought one just like that for a parts bike once. I paid $350 for it and it was in way better condition. After I took off the parts I wanted, I still sold it for $350 to a bike dealer mechanic. He wanted the motor for a drag bike he was building. Don't know if ever did anything with it to this date.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Umm the 750L's only had a single stopper stock. Thought the 1100L's were the only chain drive L's that got Twin stoppers... Looks like it's been tinkered with or maybe it's an 1100?... And the L side covers sucked... ONly clip on (no bolts) Someone stole mine off my bike when I went in for groceries...
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Does it run ? That 2nd generation 16v 750 has top-end oiling issues. If you can't get it to at least turn over *I* wouldn't offer more than $100.

Remove the ignition cover and try to turn the engine clockwise with a 19mm wrench/socket. If it spins, then, you "should" be good.

What the heck do people do with these sidecovers ?!?!
            It was in a storage unit for 10+ years so the tank is gunked (I take them to the radiator shop anymore, they generally do a outstanding job cleaning and sealing for $100.00) and the carbs probably need attention.

It's not locked up, the guy who bought it out of the storage unit hooked up a jump pack to it and it cranked right over, all the lights came on, or so he said.

I've already got a few too many projects, still debating this one.....

I need to get this one out of my garage and into the storage unit.....

Flipped a GT750 earlier, wanting another GS, prefer a 1100 or 1150, I'm sure the right one will come along.

The 750 might be a good candidate to part out, but I've already got more parts than I can post.......

For a living I sell dealer inventories on eBay. It's not easy money, but in this economy, it is better than any alternative I've found.....

Thanks for the replies Jedz123, mrbill5491, almarconi & Larry D, much appreciated!

I have to admit, I remember 1980 like it was yesterday. The GS750E was the king of the 750's in terms of performance and handling. The L was the hot rod cruiser.

Now these bikes, even the 1100, are slow, heavy and under powered - but still a heck of a lot of fun!

The motorcycles from the 60's-mid 80's are my preference, as long as they come from the big four.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X