Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana w/1127GSXR

Okay. The start.
    '83 1100Katana with an 1127 GSXR 3ngine. Just the initial mock up stage to get ideas on engine mounting and locations.
    What do you all think?
    Greg

Last edited by gmansyz; 12-07-2012, 09:34 PM. Reason: A better way
    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

This is the end goal.
    Last edited by gmansyz; 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM. Reason: #2
    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

That is a very unique centerstand...

Comment

Looks good, is the 1127 gonna be stock? The pipe looks like it will need some work.

Comment

That looks great but your pipe will as said need work unless its loose. The GSXR pipe may be more snug to the bottom of the frame.

Whats with that clip, looks like it holds a hundred rounds?

Comment

Project

Okay, sorry about the special centerstand. I was just excited and wanted a pic before I sell them. Need money for the Katty. Sorry, but the big one is only 60rds. They are sequentially numbered Carbon Fiber lowers. One is a custom in 5.45x39 and the other the plain 5.56NATO. Freefloated tubes and more. I like my AR10 more so I gotta keep that.
            Yes, the pipe is loose but will need modding as it's for a 750. I would also move the engine forwards till the head is a 1/2" or maybe even a 1/4" from the down tubes. New mounts all around as well. Plus maybe some forwards tilt? But I also nee to remove the oil pan to get a better idea of the internal condition as the outside is rather corroded. Plus, the pesky oil line bolts are stuck in the pan and the heads are stripped off. Oh, forgot as I also want to deepen the sump. For more oil and cooling. The I would seak the pipe around both sides of said sump and would somehow want to leave space for the underslung shock at some point.
            When I do that, I would also move the swingarm pivot forwards and got to a mid 2000's GSXR750 arm. But first things first, I need to make a good runner. Later I will hop up the engine. Maybe 1307, big valves and cams. I am thinking of 165-180 HP when done with maybe a 6-speed.
            I have not given up on the Busa engine but will pop that into another frame once I find one. Maybe a 550?
            When time to redo it, I was thinking of the '07/8 GSXR1K wheels or would it look better with the '09 angled spokes? I would need to solve a speedo drive then or some Koso gauges.
            But all in due time.
            Thanks for listening.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
              Okay, sorry about the special centerstand. I was just excited and wanted a pic before I sell them. Need money for the Katty. Sorry, but the big one is only 60rds. They are sequentially numbered Carbon Fiber lowers. One is a custom in 5.45x39 and the other the plain 5.56NATO. Freefloated tubes and more. I like my AR10 more so I gotta keep that.
              Yes, the pipe is loose but will need modding as it's for a 750. I would also move the engine forwards till the head is a 1/2" or maybe even a 1/4" from the down tubes. New mounts all around as well. Plus maybe some forwards tilt? But I also nee to remove the oil pan to get a better idea of the internal condition as the outside is rather corroded. Plus, the pesky oil line bolts are stuck in the pan and the heads are stripped off. Oh, forgot as I also want to deepen the sump. For more oil and cooling. The I would seak the pipe around both sides of said sump and would somehow want to leave space for the underslung shock at some point.
              When I do that, I would also move the swingarm pivot forwards and got to a mid 2000's GSXR750 arm. But first things first, I need to make a good runner. Later I will hop up the engine. Maybe 1307, big valves and cams. I am thinking of 165-180 HP when done with maybe a 6-speed.
              I have not given up on the Busa engine but will pop that into another frame once I find one. Maybe a 550?
              When time to redo it, I was thinking of the '07/8 GSXR1K wheels or would it look better with the '09 angled spokes? I would need to solve a speedo drive then or some Koso gauges.
              But all in due time.
              Thanks for listening.
              Greg
              Wow sounds like lots of fun. See projects like this really makes me kick myself for taking wood shop in high school instead of metal shop.

Comment

checking the project out.........looking good......kevin

Comment

Hi Greg,
                  Finally moving forward?
                  What kind of fork are you using?
                  sigpicJohn Kat
                  My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                  GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Back

Okay Pos, it's not that bad and I think woodworking takes much more skill. As I keep trying to bolt my fench together instead of just nailing it.
                    It's looking like this will be a temporary solution to quickly build a bike. I don't need two Katanas so will eventually put the Busa engine in but need a few runners for now. Later, will put the engine in a 750E frame.
                    But right now, I am struggling with trying to get the engines position perfect. I think to use the stock GS front motor mounts and work my way back and let it be.
                    Yes John, Finally got off my butte and am doing something. The forks are like '89 GSXR750. showas. I trimmed the springs and with the partial engine right now and naked, it is rather stiff.
                    I may need to post a few pics of teh other projects.
                    Laters all.
                    Greg

Comment

You should start with the rear mounts should bolt up with some extra spacers mine did then made some front mounts as they are much different than the gs
                      sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                      1994 gsxr1100w
                      1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Reason

Hiya akckhim. There is a reason or two for not using the stock rear mounts. One, I would need to extend the head pipes as you have done and I am trying to avoid some fabrication. The other is the GS already has too much weight in the rear and having the engien further back would worsen this. Need more weight on the front along with helping to slow the wheelies. I am thinking to make adptors plates to be bolted in. Spacers if you will.
                        I have also removed the oil pan to get those pesky oil line bolts out. Heads are rounded off. And also to see the condition of the internals. Dirty but okay. Exploring the need for a deep sump. I would run the header on one side of the deeper sump and the rear single shock on the other. Pull it from the front and also to help keep the weight lower. Again, wheelie control. Header to be modified with some Busa pieces. That's another reason to push it forwards.
                        Thanks for listening.
                        G

Comment

I understand those points but keep in mind the farther the countershaft is from the swingarm pivot the greater the suspension travel will affect chain tension.
                          1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

Okay

Okay, I do agree as to all that you say. But there is a compromise along with after checking where the engine is with the stock front mounts, the countershaft is 1/4" closer to the swingarm pivot. Only these look funny as the GSXR was designed to be much more compact than the GS engine and there is a lot more free space now that makes it look funny. If I were to keep the engine in the Katana frame, I would make a complete, new, swingarm pivot area for teh frame, use a newer GSXR swingarm with big, 25mm bolt and put it all as far forwards as possible. Right now, I really just need a runner even if it isn't perfect.
                            Tnx
                            G

Comment

sounds good. i just finished fitting a gsxr arm with the 25mm pivot on my 82 750e with 1186 katana engine. also using a gsxr750 usd forks
                              1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

Working...
                              X