New GS purchase, need some help identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS purchase, need some help identifying

Hey guys, I sold my 81 GS1000 last summer, and haven't been on in a while and I guess my account was deactivated, so real quick, I have had an 83 650L, and 81 1000E, an 82 850, and now I just bought my newest one. So before you say it, I know all the normal maintenance stuff, I use basscliffs website regularly, I know to completely disassemble, soak, adjust floats, sync, on the carbs of course, I know about valve shimming, pod troubles, exhaust troubles, etc....

Now, what you are waiting for. I bought this 82 GS1100E this past weekend for 375 bucks. Clean title, new back tire on a widened wheel, extended swingarm, all lights and guages work great, but the engine harness and charging harness are a mess. I am sorry for the quality of the pictures but the weather here is less than favorable, and apparently my shop lights are not working. What do you guys think? Take a look and tell me what you see.

What I see is what I believe is not a 1100 motor, due to that kick start. The guy looks to have been setting up a budget drag bike, but I am not sure.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2014, 01:23 PM.

GS750 motor maybe, they had a kick starter.
    Here's a shot of mine that you can use as a reference since it's all stock.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Yes, kick starter, round cam covers and VM carbs all suggest it's a 2 valve GS 750.

Take a close look at the engine ID stamped on top the engine case adjacent to the clutch cover. If correct, it will start with GS 750 - followed by the engine number. What a find!
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

THE ONLY possibility is a pre 1980 GS750, Only 4cyl motor with a kick starter other than the GS850 shaft from 79

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          THE ONLY possibility is a pre 1980 GS750, Only 4cyl motor with a kick starter other than the GS850 shaft from 79
          Wrong, 77-79 GS550 had kick start. This, however looks like a 77-79 GS750.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys,

49er, I will definitely look for that number and see. I bought it on sunday and I haven't had any time to mess with it yet, but this weekend I will pull it out and get at it. As you guys can see, someone took a rattle can and painted the motor black.....darn kids and their wrenches, airbox is gone, front fender is cut for header...etc. So its not perfect, but for 375 I figured I can't go wrong. The tins are in great shape, figure worst case scenario I could part this thing out for way more then I gave .

Comment

Originally posted by stng_96 View Post
              Thanks for the info guys,

49er, I will definitely look for that number and see. I bought it on sunday and I haven't had any time to mess with it yet, but this weekend I will pull it out and get at it. As you guys can see, someone took a rattle can and painted the motor black.....darn kids and their wrenches, airbox is gone, front fender is cut for header...etc. So its not perfect, but for 375 I figured I can't go wrong. The tins are in great shape, figure worst case scenario I could part this thing out for way more then I gave .
              Hope you're not going to part it out already.
              You got to see what you got first.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

No No, wouldn't do that, I really wont ever part something out until it is pretty far gone. I am excited to get it moving.

Comment

This one is rather interesting. I agree that it's an early 2-valve 750. The '79 850 also had a kick start and round valve cover ends, but was only shaft-driven, so would not work in that bike. The 1000 never had a kick start, so the largest that engine could be would be 750.

Adding to the interest is the fact that most people that change engines put an 1100 in a 750 frame and call it a 7/11 conversion.
                  You have what I would call an 11/7 conversion, putting a 750 in an 1100 frame.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also, right below the number 1 exhaust port is the flat spot with the casting that states the size.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Also, right below the number 1 exhaust port is the flat spot with the casting that states the size.
                      Might find '79 850 jugs on it too.
                      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I think it might be one of Eric's.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Just opening this and seeing the engine and tank combo gave me a pretty good laugh. First 11/7 I've seen, I think it looks great.

Comment

Working...
                          X