Frame repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame repair

I have been slowly moving ahead on the GS1000 resto mod. So today I started to clean up the frame and I found a substantial dent on the frame.

It is on the down tube after the lower bend. It appears as if the bike was dropped on a sharpe object, one side only.

Has anybody any source for frame repairs? I am going to bring it to my structures AME at work and let him have a look. I have seen repairs done to tube aircraft where they cut it out, Put in a slug, rosette weld then seam weld or fish mouth and it is good to go.

Either this or a new frame is in order

Comments?

Thanks,
    Daryl
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

This is how my frame looked, and how I fixed it

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

and in the end it came out like this

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
      I have been slowly moving ahead on the GS1000 resto mod. So today I started to clean up the frame and I found a substantial dent on the frame.

It is on the down tube after the lower bend. It appears as if the bike was dropped on a sharpe object, one side only.

Has anybody any source for frame repairs? I am going to bring it to my structures AME at work and let him have a look. I have seen repairs done to tube aircraft where they cut it out, Put in a slug, rosette weld then seam weld or fish mouth and it is good to go.

Either this or a new frame is in order

Comments?

Thanks,
      Daryl
      Airplane frames and moto frames are two entirely different things. Slap some bondo on it and paint it. It's all good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't cut it out - just fill it with weld (better than bondo and you can powdercoat) and reshape.

I've done loads of these where guys fitted aftermarket clamp-on side-stands and they have overtightened the clamps and dented the frame.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X