No announcement yet.

Guzziboys gsx400F of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will take a photo of the wiring in the daylight tomorrow morning!
    I've already got a set of dynatek 3 ohm coils ready to go:-)

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Nice! What model was that one? Good to know for future reference!
      The igniter was off a 80 750E, I believe the same was used on the 80-81, 750's, 850's and 1000's also the 80-81 1100's it was a very common igniter, but not built water tight and are prone to cold solder joints in side, I have repaired a few with that problem.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Given that it's mechanical advance, you can adapt any Suzuki Dyna S onto it. Just remount the Dyna pickups onto the OE backplate.

I'm about 20 minutes from Methven...and got called in to advise when a couple of locals wanted a street circuit there, eased the way for approval for them. I assume you're a skiier.

Comment

Originally posted by guzziboy View Post
          Got that right! Although they were apparently called a katana for America not in oz? Think we are the chosen ones:-)
          Nope, here in the States, we got a completeley different bike, the Bandit 400

Trellis frame, minimal bodywork
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Nope, here in the States, we got a completeley different bike, the Bandit 400

Trellis frame, minimal bodywork
            But that wasn't until the early ninties. His bike is a 81-82, also they got the GSXR400's which we didn't
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              Given that it's mechanical advance, you can adapt any Suzuki Dyna S onto it. Just remount the Dyna pickups onto the OE backplate.

I'm about 20 minutes from Methven...and got called in to advise when a couple of locals wanted a street circuit there, eased the way for approval for them. I assume you're a skiier.

Sounds like a plan too me :-) will the dyna s replace my igniter box if I get the whole kit?

I love methven , I was over there snowboarding and met an Irish girl and the rest they say, is history :-) been most years for the last 5!

Comment

Guys here is the igniter unit

It has 3 rows of wires coming out
                3 on the top row black/yellow, brown and black/white(this ones earthed to frame)
                2 on the middle row green/white , white
                2 on the bottom orange/white , black/white
                Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2013, 08:23 PM. Reason: Colour blindness

Comment

Sounds like a plan too me :-) will the dyna s replace my igniter box if I get the whole kit?

Yes - you can ditch the ignitor, the Dyna setup is much simpler. it's quite possible looking at the pics that a kit for a GSX750 may drop on.

I love methven , I was over there snowboarding and met an Irish girl and the rest they say, is history :-) been most years for the last 5!
                  Ah, Irish girls.....next time you come over, sing out, i'm on the road into Christchurch.

Comment

Guys here is the igniter unit

It has 3 rows of wires coming out
                    3 on the top row black/yellow, brown and black/white(this ones earthed to frame)
                    2 on the middle row green/white , white
                    2 on the bottom orange/white , black/white
                    You sure there's no part details on the rear of it?

Those colours look very much the same as my stock one and seem to match what's in the 82 GS450EZ wiring diagram also...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

It's completely blank
                      It is 33 this year it's got 1980 printed on the wires!!!

Boyer Bransden got back to me tonight with some measurements off their kit for a gsx550, might go down that road still undecided
                      Thanks guys
                      Guz

Comment

Bugger, must have worn off at some point... from memory mine was a sticker so I'm not surprised it's not there...

Boyer Bransden should be ok, but from memory they're electronic advance so you'll need to disable the mechanical advance I think you'll find.

Otherwise if you don't want to get the full Dynatek DS3-3C kit (which may not fit actually depending on the plate size), then DS3-1 or DS3-2 modules will work just find if you replace your stock signal generator coils with them.

If you do go down that path, make sure you put a fair whack of heatsink compound underneath the modules.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          Bugger, must have worn off at some point... from memory mine was a sticker so I'm not surprised it's not there...

Boyer Bransden should be ok, but from memory they're electronic advance so you'll need to disable the mechanical advance I think you'll find.

Otherwise if you don't want to get the full Dynatek DS3-3C kit (which may not fit actually depending on the plate size), then DS3-1 or DS3-2 modules will work just find if you replace your stock signal generator coils with them.

If you do go down that path, make sure you put a fair whack of heatsink compound underneath the modules.

Did you put a dyna system in yours Pete ?

Comment

You're in Melbourne yeh Guzz? Give 60 Degree Motorcycles a call (in clayton i believe) and ask to speak with Geoff. He knows katana's and GS' back to front - he has helped me a lot.

Comment

Did you put a dyna system in yours Pete ?
                              Sure did, put the Dynatek DS3-3C kit in. Unfortunately the right side module carked it and I was able to use the modules from a DS3-2 kit to sort it out.

I'm not sure if it's a bolt in for yours or not though...

Nik, good tip!

sigpic

Comment

Hi guys,

So I'm at my wits end now
                                Have been spending the last few weeks modifying a dyna2000 ignition kit to my beast. I had to change the back plate on the pickups to fit, which was pretty easy although I wanted to put it together with the stock back plate but small bolts don't cooperate with my clumsy hands

Now I'm ****house when it comes to wiring , so I followed the crappy dynatek instructions as close as I could but you guessed it I've hit problems! I've got smoke and burning wiring when I turn the ignition on

This is the wiring diagram

It shows only one wire going to the switched 12 volts but of course I have two ! So I have put one of my 12 volt wires to each coil like stock setup and ran the red back to the dyna system as per the diagram.

You guessed it the 12volt switched wire circuit is where I'm getting serious heat ( dead short??) it's the orange and white wire in the harness
                                ?... Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X