Project: Gs250T lil OverKill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Gs250T lil OverKill

new member and new to bikes and just got a used Gs250T it came with a bill of sale no left side cover, starter, starter cover so i thought.

so i ordered the starter, starter cover and blots.

Went to change the oil and most of it was water with a thin layer of oil. yeah bad i should have check the oil first before i got it but already got it now.

took the oil filter off mostly oil in there but i can tell where the water was sitting. put new oil went to crank it by hand to prime the oil, it felt loose then tight then there is a click-tap, popped the cover cranked it buy hand again to see whats up saw the chain tight the sag loose so i am thinking to myself might have a cam chain tensioner prob.....yup sure enough i didn't notice before the tensioner is not even on there. well hope I didnt ruin it now. so i am waiting for the tensioner to come in the mail to check fit and adjust everything so i can see what the compression.

I do have some suspension goodies i would like to throw on it if i can make this motor happy.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2013, 10:41 PM.

Hrm well, since you'll no doubt want to adjust the valves anyway, it's time to order that valve cover gasket and set the timing...

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
      Hrm well, since you'll no doubt want to adjust the valves anyway, it's time to order that valve cover gasket and set the timing...

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
      Thanks will do

Comment

Tuning in... ugh on the water... hopefully it's all good with the tensioner sorted and a good flush with fresh oil.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          Tuning in... ugh on the water... hopefully it's all good with the tensioner sorted and a good flush with fresh oil.

thanks! Pete yeah wish me luck my first time doing timing and valve adjustment ooh and cam chain! Part gets here tomorrow hoping all goes well dieing to know the compression is and what the oil change will look like!

Comment

Originally posted by 323D View Post
            it felt loose then tight then there is a click-tap, popped the cover cranked it buy hand again to see whats up saw the chain tight the sag loose so i am thinking to myself might have a cam chain tensioner prob.....y
            The click tap was the cam chain skipping on it's sprockets, this is what happens when you turn the engine without the cam chain tensioner installed. Do not turn the engine over any more until you get the tensioner installed, and the cam timing reset correctly.
            You may or may not have bent a valve, but don't do any more damage until you find out.

Check the cam timing first!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              The click tap was the cam chain skipping on it's sprockets, this is what happens when you turn the engine without the cam chain tensioner installed. Do not turn the engine over any more until you get the tensioner installed, and the cam timing reset correctly.
              You may or may not have bent a valve, but don't do any more damage until you find out.

Check the cam timing first!

got it thanks

Comment

just got it going to try and work on it some tonight.

This what im thinking....

Comment

This is the first time working on these things so it took me a min....got the Starter and cover put on the cam chain tens, made sure timing was right and the valve adj done, then the starter would not work so i had to clean it up this thing was a mess I didn't think it would work but it did!

Finally got to check compression, was getting 90psi at first then it went to 120psi on the left side, only about 100psi in the right. Is this good enough or do I need to do work on it?

Going to start on the carbs.

this front end i will be using, i think it is a 92 gsxr750 still need rotors for it. the ones i have seem to be to short i need 320mmm got to go back and check

Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 323D View Post
                    Finally got to check compression, was getting 90psi at first then it went to 120psi on the left side, only about 100psi in the right. Is this good enough or do I need to do work on it?
                    Considering that the engine is cold (I assume it's not actually running yet) and the bike has not been running for a while those are quite good numbers. With fuel and ignition sorted it will start with that. Some running should get those numbers up.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                      Considering that the engine is cold (I assume it's not actually running yet) and the bike has not been running for a while those are quite good numbers. With fuel and ignition sorted it will start with that. Some running should get those numbers up.
                      Thanks mike!!!!!!!!!! good news!

Comment

The manual says max 10psi difference between cylinders, but like Mike says they're great numbers for the situation, so I'd definitely wait until it's run before worrying about that... it will most likely come up good

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          The manual says max 10psi difference between cylinders, but like Mike says they're great numbers for the situation, so I'd definitely wait until it's run before worrying about that... it will most likely come up good
                          ohhh ya

Comment

Comment

Big wheels for a little bike

What's the plan for the swingarm?

And what's the front end from? Looks like a direct bolt on going by the pic...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X