No announcement yet.

1978 GS750 Pretty but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jag thats a nice set up. I am sure it will perform better as well but I'm more interested in working with what I have if I can. I am after a certain look more than anything, I am just curious if someone who knows better than I do will tell me I am shooting myself in the foot. I have read enough about 4 into 1 exhaust design that my final pipe should probably be closer to 2" than 3" but when I see the original Yoshi bikes in old pics they all seam to have that big ass pipe and I am trying to get that big look. I know that Cooley was on 3/4 to WOT the whole time though and maybe it's not a good idea for regular riding. Maybe someone can chime in. Maybe I post it in the performance section?

Comment

Not allot been done. I decided to buy a welder and do the welding on my pipes myself. Im happy with how it's turning out. It was a challenge though, learning how to weld on a 4 into 1 header... Trying to get some work done on my TZR and dirt bikes... at the same time. Can't seam to keep my head in one project at a time.

Comment

Pipe is looking kick ass , good work , keep pics coming looking forward to seeing it done , Brian

Comment

Originally posted by kw86er View Post
          Not allot been done. I decided to buy a welder and do the welding on my pipes myself. Im happy with how it's turning out. It was a challenge though, learning how to weld on a 4 into 1 header... Trying to get some work done on my TZR and dirt bikes... at the same time. Can't seam to keep my head in one project at a time.
          Aha! now I know who to turn to get that stubborn valve cover bolt out of the head.

What did you get for a welder? For reasons unknown to me, TIG seems to be a favourite for pipes...not sure if that has to do with the thinness of the welds, the metal, or the chromium.

One last weld to do at the megaphone?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            Did Slim (Janice) take over some space in your shop? I've been meaning to talk to her about redoing the seat on my 650G this winter.
            Is that the girl you were talking to me about my 750 seat ? She works up north or something like that ?
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              Is that the girl you were talking to me about my 750 seat ? She works up north or something like that ?
              Aargh! Thread pirate alert!

Janice has a shop here in Vancouver. As far as I know, she doesn't work up north.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I got a Lincoln 180 Mig welder. Tig welds look much nicer but it is a bigger investment as far as time (learning curve) and money. We have a welding shop next door if I decide I need fancy looking welds. My welds were not pretty, but a mini grinder helped with that.

Comment

The only person I know that does seats, only does custom seats. I have only seen cafe racer style seats that she did, so I am not sure if she does "comfortable". Beautiful work but it comes at a price I am sure. I haven't gotten a quote for this bike yet. Thats still down the road a bit. Just dropped $700 on bars, hand controls, headlight, gauges... Decided to forget about the dual disk idea. This bike is getting expensive and it's a headache I don't need right now. Need to make sure she is road worthy by mid March'ish.

Comment

Well this is where I am at, well sort of. I have done a few things since these photos like buttoned up the tailpiece and rear lights. I am abandoning the race paint idea. I kinda fell in love with the stock paint with chrome and black... I think it looks good with the natural pipe wrap as well. Needs a seat and a few things but I have been out on a skateboard seat pan (east van seat pan) and a piece of foam a few times and really enjoy the new feel and positioning. A little more aggressive and in control, more like riding a motorcycle less like driving a bus.

I've done the charging system upgrade and dyna ignition upgrade. Valve clearances are done, carb is rebuilt (need to do the float needles still, they are sitting on the bench). Still not happy with the compression but it's running enough to have a little fun this summer while I get my other bike(s) on the road. If she get through the summer ok I will dig a little deeper with a leak down test... in the fall. But I am pretty sure the PO started something and retreated. I also got called in on clerical mistake with the vin number because it started CS750 not GS750 on the registration. They just changed it for me. I was going to ask if it was a U build... and thought I might not want them to dig much deeper incase something was waiting to bite me in the ass.

Do I need to pull the engine out of the frame to do the top end on these bikes?

I will trade my complete box of OEM parts for a complete top end if anybody close by is into it. I think it might be nice to have one on hand. I'm not really into packaging/shipping but could consider it.

Comment

And thanks again. This forum is one of the better bike specific information forums I have been on. I tend to move on with other projects and new forums before I have a chance to give back in anyway. But all the die hard Suzuki guys on here are great help, even if they don't agree with how I treat my girl. It is appreciated. Ill try to remember to get a finished photo up before I do move on.

Comment

Working...
                      X