Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Brutal 85GS700ES

Hey All,

I have been a member for just a short period of time but in that time I have seen and read some things that have inspired my to go much further that i ever intended with my GS. At this point you may be wondering "why a brutal GS" well it is my intention to make my GS700ES into something of the likes that has never been seen on Woodward AVE. Then put all those muscle car fools to shame with my japanese Bike. when I first bought the bike I lived right on Woodward and did a lot of racing during the 4 weeks leading up to dream cruise. Even with shot out carbs and a slipping clutch I was just about uncatachable.

I have since than sorted out the clutch with new springs and plates, and am sorting out the carbs and adjusting the valve head space now. It should be much quicker this year. Alright enough with the ego stroking here are some pics...

That was the hack job the PO did to my carbs. Only the carb with the hole drilled in the side had a mixture screw in it. It had been filled if with RTV or something and all the carbs had hex head screws blocking the passages. what a shame.

The original color scheme was blue and white and I was going to stick with that. note all the blue bits. But in an effort to be more brutal I have decided to go matte balck and red with the body and gloss black and red with the frame and engine, breaks, blah blah blah...

I pulled the valve cover in preperation of the valve adjustment and was shocked to find the valve train to clean! The cover is getting blasted and painted goss black with the bolts gloss red. the little breather cover is going to be gloss red with the bolts black. Oh and all inset lettering like the TSCC on the valve cover and the SUZUKI on the side covers will be gloss red.

This is a rolling project and I plan to ride this year without painting any of the body or frame or breaks blah blah blah. so it is going to look very strange and discheveled for this season but will get a nice paint job after the season is through. I will keep posting pics and progress as it occurs. Thank you all for the confidance and inspiration to prusue this goal. Talk to you soo.

Good luck on the project, looks like you have a plan, stick to it and all will be done in no time....

Color scheme sounds interesting, waiting to see the finished product...

Cheers

Comment

Carbs

Hello
      Try some 33mm 600 Katana carbs instead or the 34mm GSXR carbs. Or maybe the 36mm GSXR carbs. As fixing those will be a problem and replacing them could cost nearly as much as these.
      Laters
      G
      sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
      2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
      Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
      '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Thank you for the advise but I was able to find all four carbs un-hacked and still on the rails for $78 bucks on Ebay. Would either of those options make more power though? If so i can get that down the line if I am not satisfied with the output.

Comment

I got the carbs all put together and on the rails with the pods on them. Looks pretty nice. Had a few problems in the last few steps. The bihhest being my inability to read the directions clearly. There was an optional mod to the slide springs that I confused for the springs on the needles. I have it right now but was pretty bummed about the error.

do the piolet air jets get seated fully or do they need to be out a few turns? I could find nothing in my service manuel about it and nothing in the carb rebuild instructions I have. Let me know.

Comment

Carbs look great. Keep us posted on the slide spring mod as I just rebuilt my carbs and debated whether to do that or not. I have not comitted to it yet and would like feedback before cutting the springs.
            Keep the pics coming.
            Thanks

Comment

I should have it running this weekend. I will let you know if I trashed my carbs.

Comment

Well its been a while since i have gotten anything done on the GS. Birthdays, and family, and crap like that seem to always get in the way. Have not had it running yet but I have gotten some things done. Here is the paint job i did on the covers I had blasted...

Its not perfect but It is better then the shot out finish that was on there from the factory. I got the carbs on the bike as well and all hooked up and ready to go...

Weather permitting I should be tuning the carbs this wednesday. So i will be able to report back on the cut springs in the carbs and wether or not it was a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Danaconda7 View Post
                  ... do the piolet air jets get seated fully or do they need to be out a few turns?
                  All jets should be snuggly installed. The only parts that should NOT be snug are the idle mixture screws and the idle speed screw.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thank you, I will be sure that that is the case.

Comment

Looking good. If I understand, the spring mod should improve throttle response. Did you rejet?

Comment

yes I re-jetted the carbs. if the weather holds I will be tuning the carbs tomorrow. Hope it starts without much fuss.

Comment

where it stands now....

Well after the carb rebuild and tuning the bike is running better than ever. starts without a bunch of bulls**T and really moves. I am done working on it for now. I dont think I will start anything until fall. I have a few things to focus on. the 43 tooth rear sprocket I put on it gets it mooving quickly but on the freeway it is very high stung, so that will come back down to stock or a tooth or two lower(in the interest of MPGs). It still idles a bit high but I have not spent much time looking into it. I still have new o-rings to put on the intake boots. the boots were replaced two and a half years ago and I can not recall if they came with new rings or if i reused the old ones. Here is a pic of the bike as it stands now...

my first paint scheme was to stick the the blue and white and paint some blue accents on the frame and some other parts. thats why the breaks are blue and some hiden rear suspension parts as well. But now I am thinking in a new direction. black and red are the colors i am kicking around. was going to do matte black and gloss red on the body but now I dont know. My Dad had sugested to paint the body gloss metalic black and spray a red clear coat over that. not in a big rush, I still need to remove the tank graphics and strip off the glue that was left behind. I think i might get to that next month. For now i am just enjoying the ride. Thanks for everyones help. I will update as I progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X