My . GS1000GL Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My . GS1000GL Rebuild

I picked up the bike from a guy that was in the process of making a bobber out of it. That isn't the style that I wanted to continue with.

After doing some research and finding this site I decided I wanted to make it a cafe racer style. I was inspired after seeing the Wes Cooley GS. Yes I know it has been done many times, but it isn't going to be an exact replica. Going to put my spin on it.

This is going to be a very budget build. I am going to build knowing that I am going to sell it later down the road, so nothing too crazy or personal.

Here is the bike from the craigslist ad...

And the day that it was brought to my shop...

And this is my inspiration. Would like to go close to the colors. But we will see what paint job I with when the time comes

**Build went a different direction once I did my research, so it is going more of a cafe racer style.**

Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM.

I am going to fix the frame where the guy hacked at it pretty good. Clean the frame parts and smooth where brackets where cut off. Clean the motor and paint certain pieces. Got real lucky that the tank is in great shape and won't need much bondo work. Going to build my own rear tail section with the hump. Relocate the battery and electronics to the tail.

Thanks to MotoMike I just recieved these excellent carbs to replace my PO screwed up carbs.

I just picked up this front fairing on local craigslist for the right price. Talked to a great guy who had a KZ1000 and an older Kawasaki 850(?)

Comment

Well I finally found time to work on the bike. First up was to correct the shock mounts. I bent up some 3/4" pipe to make the bends in the rear. I left them short of one another as I am going to put an arc piece in there to house the cateye brake/turn signal light. I still need to order it so just left as is for right now. On one of the pictures they look way off, but that is the angle of the camera.

Thanks for checking it out.

What I started with from previous owner...

Cut the homemade cross brace..

Cross brace gone...

Put "frame slugs' in the frame and new pieces
      (they are lined up better then the picture)

Ready for the gussets now...

Comment

Hmm. This is the first time I've seen a frame get unbobbed. Good job.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          Hmm. This is the first time I've seen a frame get unbobbed. Good job.
          Thanks. The "custom" shock mounts just looked scary and unsafe. Had to fix it for my own sake of safety.

Comment

Great resurrection you got going. Thanks for the pictures and keep them coming. Good luck on the build.

Comment

I was able to do a little more work on it tonight. Went to the shop to put the new allen socket bolts in the carb bowls and top. And then what the heck started on the gussets for the shocks.

Comment

Made a little progress tonight. Got the taillights mounted and the shocks mounted and gussets all welded up.

Comment

Got some more time to work on the bike. Went and made my own tail piece and frame cover.

Started with insulation stryrofoam from lowes and built up and glues blocks together..

After some sanding and a big mess..

Put some masking tape and turtle wax on the tape for mold removal and ended up with this...

Now just need to put another layer of fiberglass mat on and fine tune the fitting.

Comment

Another update...

Got the tail to sit like I wanted and did some de-tabbing to clean up the look under the seat. Now just have to find a gel battery and relocate the electronics in the tail.

I put a skim coat of bondo over it and put a light coat of primer over (basically to see what it will look like)

And here you can see my frame cover below the tank...

Comment

What do you intend to do with the space between the tank and the seat? If that's staying as it is now, I would think it's going to hurt
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        What do you intend to do with the space between the tank and the seat? If that's staying as it is now, I would think it's going to hurt
                        That is why I made that fiberglass piece that covers that part. Thinking I was going to put some foam pad on it and upholster it in some way.

I hear ya tho, been trying to think of something that didn't look too horrible.

Comment

Nice project mate, I really like where you're going with this.

- boingk

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
                            Nice project mate, I really like where you're going with this.

- boingk
                            Thank you very much. Slowly getting there.

Comment

Well good news..... bad news...

I was dreading taking off the headers thinking the bolts might be stuck and didn't want to deal with that headache. Well to my surprise all the bolts where barely even "tight" and no problem getting them all out...

Now the bad news... the header is crunched on the bottom!! And found out is is a kerker. Anyone know if any other bikes headers are interchangeable with the 1980 GS1000GL?

Comment

Working...
                              X