1979 GS 750 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS 750 Project

Hey guys, first post. Very soon I will be the owner of two GS 750s a 1977 in running condition and a 1979 parts bike. The parts bike is missing an engine, forks and a bunch of other stuff... but these will be the first bikes I own, so I want to try and work on the 1979 to get a better understanding of all of the parts/maintenance and also just to resurrect the thing Two bikes are better than one!

Anyways, I have a question about the engine; should I try and find a stock 1979 GS 750 engine? Or is there an engine out there, (probably another suzuki model?) that will work with the 1979?

Also... if anyone has links or is selling an engine that will work with the 1979 GS 750, I'm located in The San Francisco Bay Area, CA... so some help locating a working engine would be awesome!

Welcome to the site. You've got a great start to working on bikes. The GS models are easy to get at and the parts are fairly easy to find still with many mechanical pieces available online in the USA. As for and engine, I'm pretty sure any of the 750 engines from 76-79 will fit your frame but don't quote me on that. I'm sure someone that has done the swap will chime in soon enough. Welcome to the site and post some pictures of your new bikes.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome to the site Zappy! I agree with azr that the early 750 will fit. I think the early 1000s will also fit. I would follow c-list and search Sacramento, and as far away as your willing to ttravel for a motor. A friend of mine picked up a pretty complete bike in Redding for $250 less title. I would have offered a bit less as it was pretty rough.He needed forks, carb parts and pipes. He may part with the motor, but he is out of town for a few weeks. I doubt it, as I know he like having a spare. You may find a whole bike for what you'd pay for a motor, forks and other parts. They come up, you be patient and price savy. Where in the Bay area? I was in Hayward for years.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome to the site. Pictures would be great!

Comment

Working...
        X