1980 GS550L build- lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Nuther Update!
    Had a pretty good weekend and got lots of things done. My wife can't really see it, but it really is getting there.

I was able to squeeze some sandblaster time in between raindrops, so I got the exhaust collars cleaned up and painted, as well as the footpeg mounts and hardware. Also got a little further with assembling the wheels and brakes. I messed up and forgot to pick up tubes before the weekend, so. I couldn't get the tires mounted up.

I got all of the electrical up front buttoned up and back together. I can't test anything yet, as I don't have the battery hooked up yet. The new headlight has a different hole configuratiion, so I had to do a little cutting.

There is plenty of room inside the bucket though, so assembling it was fairly simple

Next, I spent some time on the electrical tray. I got a lot of wires traced, cleaned up connections and started mounting components. The R/R mounts underneath the tray

Not a lot to it, but took a few minutes and cleaned up and finished the shocks. New stainless acorn nuts and washers!

Nothing new here, just like the way the polished crown and clamps turned out!

Comment

Inching closer!

Comment

Closing in quickly! Back last year, I promised her June, and I think I can make it!

Got the bodywork fitted and can leave the fender on from now on. May need a little adjustment, we'll see. Took it off the lift and outside for a final scrubdown to degrease and prep the aluminum for painting the motor.
        I just LOVE the new stance!

All painted up! Still need to unmask some things, put the decals on the covers and clearcoat them.

The punchlist is getting really short!
        Wrap the headers and bolt up the mufflers
        Install the coils and horn
        Polish and paint the carb bodies
        Torque every bolt!!!
        Install tail light
        Fab license plate bracket
        Sync carbs

Comment

Update- it runs!!!

Been busy all week, to end tonight with some huge success, and a nice big fat brain fart failure.
          I've gotten the brakes bled, all electrical finished up, including rebuilding the left hand switch. Finished the exhaust and buttoned up all sorts of loose ends
          Tonight was THE night! My wife was at the ready to video. Got a little gas in the tank, confirmed no leaks anywhere and pushed the button. I let it spin a couple times, then moved the petcock from prime to on. Gave it a tiny squirt of ether, and she took a big breath and let a belch of fury! Another hit on the button, and she's purring like a kitten!! she sounds absolutely awesome! I went with full exhaust wrap and the Emgo 12" Shorty mufflers on the stock pipes. Very impressed with the sound. Almost quiet, but with a throaty purr. Still only running on three cylinders. Spark but no fire on #3. I was hoping the valve job would help, but it looks like I'll have to tear the carb down again. I only let it run for a few minutes, because I have much more to do before it's ready for a shakedown run this weekend. I sat down next to her, and... "What's this?? You're new..." A nice little puddle of new clean oil underneath. A quick tracing led me to the new half moon plugs. Both rear ones were leaking, the left side really badly. Take it all down, pull the valve cover with plans to use 3bond on them.
          Here's the brain fart- even having fully prepped the cover for paint AND prepping the head for the new gasket... Never even turned the valve cover over! All kinds of bits of old gasket still on there. What a moron!!
          So just got in from full re-reconstruction of the valve cover WITH 3 bond on the plugs. Should be good to go. Went through and torqued a few things to spec to speed things up for the weekend!

Comment

Did you paint that emblem on the engine, it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by kimjay View Post
              Did you paint that emblem on the engine, it looks great.
              Thanks!
              It's a decal. Waiting for paint and adhesive to cure for a few days, then it'll be clearcoated

Comment

Working...
              X