No announcement yet.

GS 850 Road Worthy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi mate eBay is a goldmine for NOS or aftermarket items. Bikes are parted out for sale here in the 'For Sale' section, too.

Do not idle any aircooled bike for more than 5 minutes while sitting. You will overheat them, fan or not. An overheating bike will be rich at idle, too, so I wouldn't put much stake in the black plugs... but new coils would definitely help.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

You probably do not need new coils. They rarely go bad (so I'm told) and when one does, you lose spark on two cylinders. Coil #1 fires cylinders 1 and 4, while coil #2 fires cylinders 2 and 3.

It's more likely that you bad plug boots on 2, 3, and 4. The reason they're hot is because there's arcing going on inside the boot, weakening the spark inside the cylinders. New boots are not expensive. Look for the NGK ones with a 5k Ohm resistor inside.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Ok, so I did end up just replacing the plug boots. Also went ahead and ordered 42.5 45 47.5 and 50 pilot jets. Once I got the new plug boots on it fired right up no problem. So it still runs with the 40 pilot jet but is very lean. Popping through the carb real bad once warmed up. So I upped to the 42.5 and it bogs immediately when throttle is applied. Tried going up to a 45 and it does the exact same thing. So I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction or not here. Seems like every time I get one thing fixed I find something else. It is an enjoyable learning experience though. So any thoughts on it? From what I can find on the net a bog indicates it is still lean. It's odd though because it would rev with a 40 just not well. Go above and it will not rev at all. This is turning out to be tricker than I thought lol.

Comment

Working...
        X