No announcement yet.

Oz GS1000 resto and GSX1100 cafe builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahaha yeah my slow race is just getting slower... I reckon those pipes will work out the true friends from the bad ones in that case... hahahaha
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Top end rebuild, pic heavy post.

Just got the bike going again after the top end refresh.
      76mm wiseco
      mild port job
      new hd timing chain, stock cams, manual tensioner, hd rear guide.
      standard valves, new springs
      Welded clutch, new standard plates and springs

Just crusing around, feels good, sounds different from stock.
      rs36 jetting still as it came out of the box, no doubt will have to look into that, no idea what I'll need with my pipes...

anyway, it's running well, and I'm just pleased I got it all back together with no leaks and it running.

some pics for any followers. Next post with a dyno sheet hopefully.

crank and gearbox looking ok.

First engine I've ever rebuilt, exciting getting the new bits.

Used suzuki gaskets, clutch plates and springs. No leaks.

Rebuilt and welded as pretty much everyone says to. Re shimmed as well.

I sent the head away for the porting

Back in the bike and on the road. Great riding weather. Think I'm going to need a cooler though, oil temps sit pretty consistently at 220F.

Nate B

Comment

Im really happy with the bike, rides beautifully, perhaps a little loud now, will start thinking about proper muffler ideas instead of just baffles, also an oil cooler is on the cards.
        sprokets still need to be changed, revs are up way too high at highway speeds.
        will be really happy if I can get 120 hp at the wheel with this motor, hopefully not being unrealistic.

very cathartic posting to this build thread, hope some of you find it interesting, even if cafe isn't your thing.

cheers all, happy new year and have a great 2018
        Nate.

Nate B

Comment

Like the look, Nate.
          I would think the mufflers should get sorted before the dyno run for jetting.
          Also jealous you are in summer mode.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Fantastic Nate! Yes, new bits are always exciting, and getting back on it and enjoying your own handiwork is one of the most satisfactory feelings ever in my opinion. Good choice on sticking with genuine gaskets too!

I still say those pipes look awesome

If you reckon they're too loud definitely do something though, I had to wear earplugs when I first put the velocity stacks on the 450 as the noise at 5K RPM and up for any length of time was just too loud and was borderline giving me a headache, some foam filter material sorted that out.

I was given a tip to wrap exhaust baffles in steel wool (the kind you get from the supermarket to scrub the dishes with) rather than the fibreglass packing as the fibreglass just disappears way too quick whereas the steel wool lasts a while. Never tried it myself though...

As a side note... what are you planning to do with the 33mm smoothbores with the missing parts?

sigpic

Comment

I really think that the peoples of this group grudge against cafe bikes is when people build a bike like yours but do a flat rear hoop instead, slam the bike ,and dont take into consideration proper suspension geometry and basically build a hack job. Your bike is a very high quality cafe build that is definitely built to be ridden! Very top notch execution!
              Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 01-02-2018, 10:10 AM.
              I build Pipers

Comment

Yeh, definitely need to decide on mufflers before jetting and dyno, the exhaust it definitely louder with the overbore.
                not sure what I'll do, didn't really want mufflers, wanted a twin yoshi look...but I don't want it to be offensive to ther road users or to give me a headache, just not sure what muffler style will look any good ......

cafe style bikes definitely polarise opinions with the community here, I find the style aesthetically pleasing, hence the build, but I also find the standard bikes design appealing. I can without doubt say, that I have learned to appreciate any kind of build, resto, resto mod, or cafe, where you can see the time, effort and expense people put into these bikes based purely on their passion and vision they have for the outcome that's in their minds eye at the start.

Also I wouldn't have chopped up a complete bike to do this build, the bike was really just a rolling frame and motor when I got it....but it's taken me 4ish years to get it to this point, and its cost a fair bit, but I'm very happy with it....

I almost feel a bit empty now it's finished....like I miss being able to fiddle around on it, no doubt that's why most on here get straight into another project after they finish one.

i will stick with suzukis, I will restore my PE250 next, then I think I will try to find an EFE to restore as a tourer, or maybe even do some kind of enduro/adventure conversion on a SV650...

Pete, I have no plans for the the 33's, I bought what parts I could get for them, but they are still missing 2 of cap thingys for vacuum sealing the ends of rod the slides are attached to. Are you thinking about 33s for the Kat?

I was naive when I started this build, on my estimations of time, effort and expense. But Im not Robinson Crusoe on that island, ive definitely learnt that after being on this forum for a while now, and seeing others trials and tribulations.

One thing is for sure, this forum and the people on it helped drive me to complete this build to what I think is a good standard, especially you guys that commented with encouragement and suggestions.

Sorry for the long post. It's hard to let go of the thread.

nate.

Nate B

Comment

I understand 100% Nate, not even close to finishing the Kat yet and am already wondering what to do next! It'll likely be a refresh of the 450...

You'll definitely have to post up on the PE restoration, that'll be interesting, and an EFE? Yes please!

I haven't made a decision on carbs for the Kat yet aside from one of the other fellas loaning me his stock set to get it on the road when it's done (he has some tasty RS' on his for his 1360 motor). If you're looking to offload them then I could be interested for sure. Depends on $$$ at the moment as per usual but shoot me a PM if you want to offload them.

With your pipes, how much room is in them at the rear? I've seen heaps of baffles on eBay, maybe you could get a pair of them installed if there's some out there with the right diameter? Mounting seems to be one or two screws so might not be too intrusive.

Here's an example, first search result of "motorcycle baffle":

Universal Exhaust Baffle 40mm | 200mm. Universal muffler baffle. At Kickstart Motorcycle Parts, we understand the compromise that must be reached by all riders between the insatiable need to be out riding and the cost involved in repairing/maintaining a prized possession.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                    I really think that the peoples of this group grudge against cafe bikes is when people build a bike like yours but do a flat rear hoop instead, slam the bike ,and dont take into consideration proper suspension geometry and basically build a hack job. Your bike is a very high quality cafe build that is definitely built to be ridden! Very top notch execution!
                    Sums it up Brandon, plus we don't like open pipes, however I see no gripe posts in this thread. Mostly the peepes are quiet because blackhammer YOU DON"T NEED NO HELP!!! All your work is top notch, text book!!!!
                    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-04-2018, 04:30 PM.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Bike is looking damn fine! .. Love the exhaust. The copper tubing is for wiring I assume? That looks cool too.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks fellas, but I did need a lot of help, and I've spent a lot of time searching threads on here. Without the GSR forums I wouldn't have been able to complete this bike, as well as help from guys like OZman and Chuck78.

i appreciate the kind words, I've not really spared any expense, and I've tried to find a balance between looks and performance, not just chase a specific look.

the one thing I did not replace was the stator though, and now I'm having trouble with charging again. I've tried tw0 (an 1100 one and the 1150 one that came with the motor) stators that I had that both looked in good condition, and running them both now has resulted in a drained battery after a hundred or so kms of riding....very inconvenient.
                        only test I've done is check Volts at idle for the 1150 one, 13.2 at 1000rpm...stupid me, didn't check when the revs were up, just assumed 13.2 was enough to charge even if it was reving during normal riding.
                        ill have to do more testing, I hope I haven't made an error with the wiring somehow or that the SSH rec isn't faulty.

pete, I've got packed baffles in the pipes already, first layer of packing is fibreglass, then steel wool Matt, it was ok before the overbore and head work, but now the bike is much louder. I think the only way to shut it up is to find some style of muffler to use. I'll msg you about the VM33s, I won't use them on anything, so they will just gather dust, I'll put them on eBay if you don't want them.

Yep Glen, all wiring through the copper, most people that have seen the bike really like it, you can't see it as much in the photos, but the polished and cleared copper is really bright, and I think gives a good colour contrast on the bike.

on a side note I've decided to do some work to the seat..raise it's height with more padding and cover the junction at the tank more neatly, shorten the seating area with padding to the back rest and paint the ducktail to match the tank.
                        It will be a whole new seat so can use this one again still.

Nate B

Comment

Stators are always an issue on these! I can't remember if you changed your R/R out or not, but if you can get one of those SH775's then do that and the stator, you can't go wrong there.

This mob do Electrex World stators and I've had mine in the 450 hooked up to an SH775 for probably 5 years now and still going strong. They're good people to deal with too.

Best thing is disconnect the stator and measure that AC voltage at whatever RPM they recommend (I can't remember off the top of my head).

Got your PM thanks too!

Definitely keep us up to date with what you do with the pipes and seat... that'll give you something to keep this thread alive

sigpic

Comment

Yeh, got a new Sh755 in there Pete, literally the only not 'new' part in the electronics is the stator.

you don't happen to know what I should be getting out of each phase of the stator do you? Actually I'll just search it, posplayer probably has it in a thread somewhere.

i don't want to buy a new stator if the fault is elsewhere...but with a new SH775 and a moto gadget m-unit there isn't much in there to go wrong.

Nate B

Comment

Ah cool, you should be good R/R wise then.

On the 450, it's 75V AC at 5K RPM from memory, not sure if it's the same on the 4 cylinders or not, but yeah posplayer will definitely have it somewhere for sure.

sigpic

Comment

still havent worked out the charging issues, been riding around using the battery only.

got the seat re-done... in leather now instead of vinyl, with some better padding. Also brought it up to cover the tank seam.

400kms so far on the new motor... 600 to go.

way too loud with just the baffles...police stopped me and admired the bike, but asked me to get some proper mufflers.

goes good, stops good, turns in like a champ

Nate B

Comment

Working...
                                X