Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GSX750E - My first bike

An introduction of me and the bike can be found here:

I suppose the plan is to repair what needs to be repaired and perhaps make a few upgrades or changes.

Current headache:

The bike is stock except for a paint job in 1996 or so including a set of color matched Shoei hard saddle bags, red wheels and handle grips. The bike went from black to red in 96.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2013, 12:48 PM. Reason: Update

I tore the carbs apart completely last winter and at assembly there was one air adjustment screw which just wouldnt go in all the way down to lightly seated position. (No2 carb). It eats into the surrounding aluminium and requires significant force to turn. In fear of turning it too far and break off the tip I just left it a bit too high, so I think the bike is running a bit lean on No2.

Can this be the reason for not being able to get proper vacuum pressure on carb No2? See attachment. That is as high as I could get the steel rod to rise.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2013, 04:48 PM. Reason: Changed no3 to no2, got it bass ackwards first time around.

Comment

This cant be good. Guess I need to start to look for a new cover. Any ideas about how this might have happened? It looks a bit strange to me that it cracked in that way.

Comment

Oily and wet place No2. It seems to be leaking past the gasket so a new one would be in order.

On the bright side: No need for oil changes, I just top up the oil now and then and make sure theres gas in the tank

Comment

I've been googling for Baja Shocks/Baja Grips Shocks etc etc... came up with nothing. I realized today that the stickers on the rear shocks were attached by a PO when he got his new Baja Foam Grips

Does anybody recognize these rear shocks? Maybe I need to take a closer look and see if there is any writing anywhere on them.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Finally, for today, should I be worried about this? I cant really see the level inside the reservoir from the outside. Its no longer see through. The plastic seems kind of dry and aged.

Comment

Item on this winters to-do list

Got my 1100E alloy swing arm today - going on this winters to-do list

Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM. Reason: Photo attachment

Comment

Your First Bike

Originally posted by Krogare View Post
                An introduction of me and the bike can be found here:

I suppose the plan is to repair what needs to be repaired and perhaps make a few upgrades or changes.

The bike is stock except for a paint job in 1996 or so including a set of color matched Shoei hard "saddle bags", wheels and foam grips, more about those foam grips later. The bike went from black to red in 96.
                Krogare,

That's too bad about the cracked cover. Maybe it was over-tightened?

I was curious about the oil that is leaking from my bike but it's not as pronounced as your's. (Sorry)

Here's a comparison photo...hope you don't mind.

Your's:

Mine:

Good luck with acquiring a new cover...not sure if it's a good idea to refurbish the one you have.

EDIT: Looks like it's just the CAM portion cover you need.

Looking forward to seeing how you fix her up!

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Summer 2013

Just thought I'd add a photo from this summer. No leak from the cover then, it just snapped unprovoked last week. Got a used, repaired but hopefully oiltight cover that will go on eventually

Comment

K&N rc-3510

Just ordered a pair of these, molded in velocity stacks. +1 mm c-c and flange but that should work out, I hope

Factory direct K&N replacement air filters, air intakes, oil filters & cabin filters. KNFilters.com - the official site for performance filtration products.

Comment

Vintage Öhlins

The shocks seem to be an old pair of Öhlins, will have them rebuilt this winter since I have an oil leak on one of them

Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM. Reason: Added a new embedded picture

Comment

O-rings

CV-kit ordered from cycleorings

Comment

Carb work

O-ring kit arrived today, carb cleaning process initiated

Comment

Carb work continued

Using the machines I have available.

Regarding the previous post I obviously have a different opinion of what is up and down compared to what my iPad thinks, sorry about that.

Comment

Swing arm swap

I think this means I'm gonna need new bearings...

Comment

Working...
                              X