78 gs750 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs750 project

Been working on it for awhile, will be copying my posts from another thread:

So far, not much done to it. Pulled it out of where it has sat for 15 or so years, and put 2stroke oil in each cyl. Let it sit for a day or 2 then cranked it with the kick starter, not locked up!

Bought a set of carbs for it, and that is where she sits. No spark right now, and a dead starter motor. Just ordered a replacement starter motor and a new front end for it. Will update as I go just wanted to get the thread started.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here is a vid of it running, getting gas from a lawnmower gas tank (gs tank is full o' rust)

Only runs with the choke on and dies as soon as throttle is applied. Though it currently has no air filter or air box, what could be the issue aside from getting to much air when the choke is not on?

Pods ordered and am picking them up tomorrow. Hopefully that helps a bunch. Also have no idea what jets are in the carbs, I am assuming they are stock.

It has a 4-1 Supertrapp exhaust on it and not sure about the engine internals.

Comment

More parts came in slotting them on soon!

Comment

Engine donor

Comment

Some progress today:

Next is to pull the headers after the penetrating fluid soaks in good, then the engine. Right after that comes out, the swingarm and front end come off and I take the frame to the welders

Comment

Finally the engine is out, and this is where I am stuck. I do not have the tool to remove the steering stem nut (the one under the top triple)

Comment

Finally got it out after a few more wacks with an impact driver

Next step, get the subframe chopped off, holes filled, and new one mocked up/installed All that crap on the ground came from behind the front sprocket cover lol.

Comment

Are those Maple keys?
                Got mice or squirrels?
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Are those Maple keys?
                  Got mice or squirrels?
                  Yep maple keys. No signs of mice or squirrels got lucky

Comment

Completely forgot I had a post here, haha here is some updates:

The 1100,

Before:

After:

Aside from the rough mockup I did of the front end, I am waiting on a full yosh system I ordered, chopping the 750 frame pretty soon too and adding a monoshock mount.

Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2013, 01:35 AM.

Comment

really like the look of the front forks!

Comment

Just dropped the frame off at a shop for some help cutting and welding

Finally moving again on this!

Comment

sweet!!! nothing like dropping off your baby and picking up one thats like new from the chassis shop!!!!

Keep up the good work

Comment

What shop are you using?
                            Always good to know who will work on these old bikes.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              What shop are you using?
                              Always good to know who will work on these old bikes.
                              Pm'd.

Anyone know who made these old farings? Or what they were made to go on at least? The shop owner offered them to me, and it got me thinking...(would be used with a monoshock setup)

Comment

Working...
                              X