No announcement yet.

Wife's new bike, GS850GL with a 1000 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally made it home from work the other night, I thought I would never get home and I had to go all the way out to Los Angeles and come back to Atlanta via CanCune. Guess I am still a little ****ed I had to work on two of my days off. So when I got home the other night I went to my Zen place and got the carbs and airbox installed on the GS. I am using a 1000 airbox and the whole thing (carbs and airbox) must be a little longer than the 850 airbox because the airbox mounts are further back. Not really sure why, perhaps I used the wrong airbox to carb boots but it fits in there and its all installed.
    Next thing to get done it mount the exhaust and see if she runs. I finally got the muffler hangars I ordered and I have nice new stainless allen screws to go in. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will have a video on YouTube hopefully.

Comment

Good work!

Just a heads up, you MAY have some issues with the fuel filter in the line. typically the gravity fed lines are filterless.

Comment

I hear you about the filter but I have run this type of filter on my GS1000E and a couple of GS850's with no adverse affects. I don't like to rely on the pet cock filter to do a good enough job at filtering any crap that might be in the tank. I also modify my pet cock's to have an on-off-reserve function eliminating the vacuum feature. Exhaust is going on tonight so keep your fingers crossed that it fires up and I can be almost at the finish line with this project. Her birthday is coming in march and I want to have it ready to present it to her with a huge bow on it.

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
          I hear you about the filter but I have run this type of filter on my GS1000E and a couple of GS850's with no adverse affects. I don't like to rely on the pet cock filter to do a good enough job at filtering any crap that might be in the tank. I also modify my pet cock's to have an on-off-reserve function eliminating the vacuum feature. Exhaust is going on tonight so keep your fingers crossed that it fires up and I can be almost at the finish line with this project. Her birthday is coming in march and I want to have it ready to present it to her with a huge bow on it.
          Cool deal. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks, I am nearing the finish line. I got the exhaust on and all tightened up. So last night I decided to try and fire the bike up. With some cranking to get fuel in the little passages of the carbs it came to life. http://youtu.be/8_X3pDVJd9Q
            I hope this link works and if it does sorry for the way the video is displayed.

I think the exhaust came out nice considering it is for a GS1000 and I put it on a GS850 frame. New stainless bolts holding the headers on and a bunch of anti-seize.

There is one thing that I still can't figure out. i have these 2 wires not hooked up and the colors are wrong to go together. Can anyone help me out with this? There are no other wires that dont have a mate and the bike is charging and starting like it should. All the lights and everything else work like they are supposed to so I am kinda at a loss. Of course I don't have a manual for a 850.

Comment

Nice! This cold winter has kept me away from the garage and I don't have the budget for a heater this year, so I have to live vicariously through threads like this until we get out of the freezing temps. (Only another MONTH or so... )

I think this was already answered in your other thread, but if you already have the stator connected directly to the R/R, those just run up into the harness and now do nothing. If you put a multimeter across them, they should measure zero ohms. On my bike, I connected them together for the sake of tidiness, but they can be left hanging if you so prefer.

Of course I don't have a manual for a 850.
              BassCliff does! http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...nual_HiRes.pdf

Practically everything in there applies to the GS1000 engine as well. Here's a good color wiring diagram, if you need it: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._color-new.png
              Last edited by eil; 02-20-2014, 10:33 PM.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I did test the stator for resistance before I put the cover back on the engine with the new gasket using the stater papers. It tested good. Now that I have the bike running I will test the voltage output. The bike is charging and I have a micro volt meter so that will get wired into the gauge lights so she can keep an eye on it when she is riding.

It's been so cold here the last month (-20 to -30) that it felt warm at 32 degrees and I was sweating from the heat off the engine. I didn't need a fan to blow cooling air at the engine today. I just left the garage with the door open and let is snow on me when I was syncing the carbs. I am sure the neighbors think I am nuts. It's been snowing here most of the day so I get to use my new snowblower, I can't wait for morning.

I purchased the Morgan carb tune and I put the restrictors in like the directions said but it showed very little on the gauges so I went back to my Mercury sticks and they worked great again. i am just tired of carrying them around when I sync other peoples bikes. We'll see how the Morgan works with out the restrictors in the lines.

Thanks for the links. I printed out the wire diagram and downloaded the 850 manual. Now if I can just find a good set of non emgo rear shocks the suspension will be complete.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Finally got home after 3 weeks on the road. When I left it was 50 and figures now I am home its 20 again. But I got out in the garage anyway. I found that the airbox boots I had installed put the airbox to far back to work for the side covers so I changed them out to a different style. Now the side covers and airbox look like they should and I was able to get the bolts in the airbox mount.

I fired the bike up again and I think I will have to sync the carbs again and make sure its the same as before. It was to cold to start stripping the tank out side so I installed the heated grips and wound up re-routing the throttle cable. It was a little stiff and now it works nice and smooth. All I have left is a little wiring work and see how they work.

I also installed a USB power plug so she will be set up for touring. We are planning a few long trips this summer and its nice to be able to use the phone's GPS but that drains the phone battery so fast. Now we wont have to worry about that.

The new rear shocks finally arrived and I got them installed. Now the only thing left to do is get the front brakes bled and the tank started.

Comment

That's coming on nicely.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

shocks

What are those shocks? Where did you get them? They look great!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks I am looking forward to its maiden ride.

I got the shocks from www.Z1parts.net I think they were like $85 including shipping, I found them on ebay and if yo call them you can talk to a human and get a better price. They specialize in kawi parts but they have a good selection of universal shocks in a bunch of styles. I put emgo on her Maxim and they are too stiff so I was looking for something with a softer ride. I have these set to the 3rd setting and they feel real nice for me and she weighs much less than I do.

So here is my next big challenge. I am looking for a switched power supply for the heated grips. Can any one suggest where I should tap off to get the power and what color the wires I am looking for should be? I know if I just hook the leads up to the battery she will eventually forget to turn them off and or hit them by mistake. The grips are rated at 23 watts at full heat.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

What kind of paint did you use on your calipers and the middle of your rotors? Im looking to do the same myself, I was curious on what the paint was.

Comment

I cant remember off the top of my head which brand I used. I know it is matt black epoxy paint I got at the auto parts store. I used it because I figured it would not peel if you got some brake fluid on the caliper. I will check the brand when I get home and let you know.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

The type of paint I used on the calipers was VHT epoxy paint. I got the luggage rack thanks to a forum member and got it installed today. I think the wife is really going to love this bike. It was a struggle to get it to fit but I think the end result was worth all the effort.

I am glad this bike is nearing completion as I am looking forward to seeing how it goes down the road.

Comment

I am glad this bike is nearing completion as I am looking forward to seeing how it goes down the road.
                                I'll tell you how it's going to go down the road.. it's going to go rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRWWWWWWHA AAARRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And it'll look good doing it.
                                Charles
                                --
                                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X