82 gs1100e rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100e rebuild

My dad got this gs a while back for free. it has been sitting since 1991 or so. it was a friend of his that had to move and couldn't take it with him. Dad was going to part it out, but it's all there and has a title, and is what i was looking for in a second bike. It's been sitting, so it does not run, and needs a ton of work, but the price was right.

the previous owner bought a second motor for it, i think it may be from an '83 because it is black, not sure how correct i am about that, i don't really know anything about GS's other than what i've learned from looking around on here for the past two days. I'm not in a big hurry to get it done, I have all winter long.
    I do have the carbs for it (not in the picture) and quite a few extra parts. I'd rather not do anything fancy with it, i'd just like it to be essentially stock, although it doesn't have to be a pristine restore. I'd just like to get it running good enough to ride. That being said, if there's anything worth changing that really should be done, i'd appreciate it, if any of you know of any real weak points on these bikes. from what I've heard the charging system can be pretty finicky. I'm sure lots will have to be fixed on it. The ignition and gas cap lock are stuck, i'm sure it needs a new battery and spark plugs, etc.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2013, 09:07 PM.

Originally posted by ericeldridge View Post
    the previous owner bought a second motor for it

Do you know him or know why he bought a second motor ?

if any of you know of any real weak points on these bikes.
    I ask the first question cause one of the weak points of early 82s was the crank. Un-welded with a tendency to twist. Mine did.

CHECK THAT FIRST.

Ill let one of the serious engine guys tell you how to check but I believe its pretty straight fwd. Height of each piston through the spark plug holes.

You have un-officially been inducted into the EZBoyez club. Welcome to the GSRs
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      I ask the first question cause one of the weak points of early 82s was the crank. Un-welded with a tendency to twist. Mine did.

CHECK THAT FIRST.

Ill let one of the serious engine guys tell you how to check but I believe its pretty straight fwd. Height of each piston through the spark plug holes.

You have un-officially been inducted into the EZBoyez club. Welcome to the GSRs
      I heard about the welded cranks and clutch basket. I have not checked yet though. I'm hoping that the motor in the bike was late enough to have the welded crank, as the black motor is entirely in pieces. My dad said he vaguely remembers the PO getting another motor because the motor he had was slipping gears. I'm not sure why he didn't fix the motor he had though, instead of buying an entire other motor. Seeing as the second motor is already apart, I thought about rebuilding it also, as i'd like to just learn how to do so anyways, and it'd be nice to have a spare if the current motor happens to work out.

Comment

"Remove the clutch cover and the clutch hub. You will be able to see the throw just prior to the # 3 rod on the crankshaft. Rotate the motor until you can see where the male end of the prior throw is pressed in (it will be round, roughly 1 1/4"). If there is a semicircle of weld, you are set. Good Luck!" from the FAQ, should help me out.

Comment

Nice bike. One of the better colors for it too, in my personal opinion.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I've got the same bike, pretty much. February build date. Hell of a lot of fun, in it's stock form. Mines undergoing an torturously long rebuild/refurb. Eventually, it'll be road-ready. Welcome to the EZ-Boyez!

Definitely check out the Stator Papers, and look into the Compufire regulator that Posplayr recommends. Stainless brake lines are recommended, since yours probably need attention anyways. These motors are pretty well built, and any problems are long documented and easily remedied.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2013, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Also, suffice to say, if it's been sitting since '91, all the rubber bits on the bike will need attention. Go ahead and budget all of it (ALL OF IT) into your rebuild. Brake piston seals, side cover grommets, carb o-rings, gas tank bushings, fuel line, cam cover half moons, the whole lot. It more or less a given that after more than a decade of non-use, it'll all be dried out to some extent or another that it will be much easier to replace than to try to hunt down gremlins. Also consider rebuilding the forks and replacing the rear shocks. If you need a new chain ( more than likely), consider a 530 conversion, it cost as much to convert as sourcing a new 630 chain, and you get the benefit of more widely available chains and sprockets. Get it up and running well before you start worrying about the cramkshaft.

Oh, please replace the tires before you take it for a spin!

Comment

Working...
              X