No announcement yet.

1985 GS 400E Restoration first project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to see an orange bike, check this out.......

Comment

Originally posted by Uladimir View Post

I guess this means I need a new gasket here?

Cannot for the life of me get cam over off, any suggestions, don't think shes looking too shabby for a broke school kid

Sprayed frame matte, rims are plasti-dipped so its reversible, front fairing looks bad here because it needs another coat, redid enamel on the engine, don't kill me for making her orange please!!
      Congrats!
      Coming along nicely and looking good.
      Curious, I'm considering a GS400 project as well, where are you buying parts from?
      I don't see much available, online anyways.

Comment

samboss 260 I saw that yesterday realized I should have found one of those instead! Gols01ca ive been fortunate enough not to have to order much, but a lots of gs 450, 500 parts will work on it, ebay and amazon for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Uladimir View Post
          samboss 260 I saw that yesterday realized I should have found one of those instead! Gols01ca ive been fortunate enough not to have to order much, but a lots of gs 450, 500 parts will work on it, ebay and amazon for me!
          Thanks Uladimir, and like I said, nice job your doin' there.

Comment

Valve cover off!

These don't look like shims to me!
            Are those valve adjustment bolts??
            Did I luck out and I don't have to change any shims, any word on this is greatly appreciated

I measured clearance witht he cam lobes facing up like my manual says, but seems like the should be pointed perpendicular to the metal part where regular shims should be, maybe not

Comment

This is the 4V version, so yes you'r lucky - no shims.
              there's a diagram in the service manual how to rotate the cams for adjusting the clearence
              Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Nearing completion just in time for the snow to start melting! Rained today, luckily I finished the paintjob on tanks and fairings yesterday, valves are all closed up, oil fillter is changed, master cylinder was empty so I put half a bottle of Dot 2 through it to make sure all the air got out. Only part that needs to come in is the tacch cable
                Rotella 15w40 on sale for 20 bucks! Score maybe I should get two.

Here you see the pile of miscalleneous parts that came off the bike and didnt go back on

I think I know wherer the circlips go but that spring worries me

One question, tried to check the spark again today with the battery fully charged and nothing is happening when I hit the starter?!?!?
                I know my rear brake light was disconnected beause i took the fairing off but shouldnt it still spark?
                Not going to worry yet because I havent put everything back on, but I dont think tank leads and stuff need to be connected or do they?

Thanks

Comment

Put everything together today! Just needs gas

Comment

spring might be for the rear brake switch ?

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                      spring might be for the rear brake switch ?

Thanks! I found a spot for it that is just a for rear brake return I think

Went for a spin last night worked great

Still has a problem with throttle response lag when i open up the throttle its like a 4 second delay and they i get massive rms anybody have exerience with this?

The other thing is my instument panel, sedo, tach, fuel still read nothing but it lights up and oil, neutral and grear indicators work any ideas?

Thanks, couldnt have got her running without help from everyone on this forum

Might just be one of the hapiest days of my life seeing this beast come alive :')

Comment

This is coming out the bottom back of my airbos it's the draininge hole for wáter right? Not sure if there should be a draininge tuve there or not Not much clearance for one thoughQ!

Next
                        My throttle lag I think is because i'm running lean, so ui looking for air leaks and vacum leaks, should this be closed, it it another draiange from the airbox and is it supposed to be one-way or totally blocked off? I guess it could be looking air I can seal that up easy

Two things here, is it misión critical to replace these intakes because either way threy're just holes arent they?

Also those two bolts never went back into the bike dont yell at me but it ran and didnt fall apart can't seem to find a spot for them

Finally, do you see that Little gap? Could it be a problema or cause for an air leak because I can't for the life of me slide the carbs back of those boots forward anymore

Just minor things now to make sure I'm ready for the first warm day, which could easily have been today but its kind of wet out. Ordered new tach cable because mine was Split, fixed fuel guage was unplugged , checked and greased spedo cable, spins from the Wheel up to the guage but my guage doesn't go! Thinking of taking it apart founf guage in Ottawa might put a swaparoo

Safe riding to those lucky enough to be out already!

Comment

Its just as I feared...

Sprayed some quick start at the carb boots while at idle and rpms took off after about 5 seconds, on 3/4 boots, I hope thats not bad for the boots but it all evaporated. So now I have a confirmed air leak, ill be ordering boot gaskets :/ since the gs400 doesnt have O rings. They are still squishy i think ill be ok with new gaskets, also after that was on idle and engine just slowed down very gradually and died, hoping thats just because of the air leak

Comment

WOAH quick udate pulled carbs back off and checked plugs, they are alllll black, some PO replaced intake bood orings with gasket paper! WTH ordering now, also ordeing o ring kit for BS carbs did I mention there's gas in my oil? Switching it out hope thats all!

Comment

Lean?

Here are my plugs after about 20 minutes of slow speed riding, Im not sure if I should describe it as boggy in the bottom quarter, I can turn the throttle up, then wait a few seconds and rpms jump up a few thousand and it takes off. When at idle blipping the throttle all the way does basically nothing, to get it to rev I have to throttle and wait, then rpms will keep climbing to what sounds like redline (since my tach cable is in the mail) until I let go of the throttle.

Comment

Done and Riding

More or less finished product! Could not be happier with my cheapo work and all the compliments I get for this bike. Total for restoration was 500 bucks, paid 650 for the bike quite affordable. You'll notice the Verve sticker, its for a company I work with, means my bike, all parts, repairs, insurance and mileage are tax deductible because it counts as a business marketing tool as well as business transportation, gonna expect a nice tax return next April best part is its acutally legit I talked to two accountants, I figure anyone can do it too. Last things I need are a front cowling, tach cable and im golden!

Comment

Working...
                                X