1982 GS750T Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750T Project

Hey guys ~ just wanted to log the various things I plan to do.
    Just recently purchased this bike, and it runs great....
    However, there are a few things on the to-do list!!!

Fix speedometer (Cable is ordered)
    Valve check/adjust (Tappet tool set & gasket are ordered)
    Carb clean & sync (O-rings are ordered)
    Clean the tank out
    Repaint the tank & two side pieces (Affix new emblems)
    Brush up all the aluminum since it's peeling
    Put on a seat cover

This week will entail the speedo, valves, and carbs.

Too bad you don't have the airbox, she'd run like you wouldn't believe! Looks like your head gasket needs some tlc.
    Welcome to the site!

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
      Looks like your head gasket needs some tlc
      ^This makes me uneasy....

Comment

I never understood why Suzuki only put a single front disc and a rear drum brake on the "T"........Nice looking bike !!
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          I never understood why Suzuki only put a single front disc and a rear drum brake on the "T"........Nice looking bike !!
          Thanks. How worried should I be about the head gasket?
          Any preventive maintenance I can do, or do I just keep riding until it goes?

How big of an issue is this? Seems to run really well ~ but blowing a head gasket doesn't seem like much fun....

Comment

It's more of a messy issue...the oil will continue to leak and make a mess. You just need to make sure there is enough oil in there so the engine doesn't lockup.

It may not be the head gasket leaking anyway. Clean and dry the engine very well, take some power, I like baking power, or the like, and dust the suspected area, run the engine and the leak will reveal itself.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I always figured Suzuki had left over components that they ran out of inventory of after a 2 year T production run.

Maybe that idea could be proven if it could be determined when Suzuki stopped using drums or single front disks for bikes with an engine of this nature. If the last use of drums was in '83, than there were no more drums on the shelf = no more need for the T.

Come to think of it, all my bikes have drums.
              Hondas
              '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
              Suzuki
              '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
              Kaw
              '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Just did my very first valve clearance check.
                Apparently it was successful, b/c the engine didn't blow up and sounds OK. lol

Took her for a spin, and she's quite smooth now.
                Set all the clearances to .10mm - .12mm.

Surprisingly about half were already within clearance.
                I was expecting most all of them to be extremely tight.
                This bike has had some money put into it by POs.

Runs good & smooth.
                Oil change / speedo cable / carb clean / carb sync are next on the list!!!

Comment

I have a strong feeling that after a carb sync, this thing will run even better!
                  Responds well when I want her to get up & go.
                  Also, the Vance Hines makes it nice n loud.
                  <3 it.

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by aaaaaaaaaachooo View Post
                    ^This makes me uneasy....
                    Don't worry too much. A little seepage won't hurt it. Take a look at mine from January of this year. Just make sure you check the oil level like as mentioned below.

Me neither. It has decent stopping capability for a bike of its weight.

It's more of a messy issue...the oil will continue to leak and make a mess. You just need to make sure there is enough oil in there so the engine doesn't lockup.

It may not be the head gasket leaking anyway. Clean and dry the engine very well, take some power, I like baking power, or the like, and dust the suspected area, run the engine and the leak will reveal itself.
                    Good points.

Originally posted by yasser View Post
                    I always figured Suzuki had left over components that they ran out of inventory of after a 2 year T production run.

Maybe that idea could be proven if it could be determined when Suzuki stopped using drums or single front disks for bikes with an engine of this nature. If the last use of drums was in '83, than there were no more drums on the shelf = no more need for the T.

Come to think of it, all my bikes have drums.
                    You have a Sweet "T" Yasser!

Just did my very first valve clearance check.
                    Apparently it was successful, b/c the engine didn't blow up and sounds OK. lol

Took her for a spin, and she's quite smooth now.
                    Set all the clearances to .10mm - .12mm.

Surprisingly about half were already within clearance.
                    I was expecting most all of them to be extremely tight.
                    This bike has had some money put into it by POs.

Runs good & smooth.
                    Oil change / speedo cable / carb clean / carb sync are next on the list!!!
                    That was quick. You're working fast and it's great you are updating!

I have a strong feeling that after a carb sync, this thing will run even better!
                    Responds well when I want her to get up & go.
                    Also, the Vance Hines makes it nice n loud.
                    <3 it.
                    I'm keeping the original exhaust on mine. Everything runs great with the original airbox so I'm not messing with it.

You are having tons of fun with your "T" and I'm enjoying the ride. Thanks!

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 10-21-2013, 08:47 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Oil level is good to go!
                      I haven't noticed any drippage ~ probably just very minor seepage.

I would have kept the original exhaust....but it came with the Vance Hines already on it. Freakin' thing is loud brotha! lmao
                      BTW ~ I removed the horn and threw it away. It was extremely weak, and completely pointless with how loud this exhaust is.

Comment

Got the spark plugs changed out for fresh ones today.
                        The ones that came with the bike were obviously old & black.

Adjusted the throttle cable. (It seemed to rev up when turning the handlebars. No longer does this. Simply screwed in the adjuster near the throttle)

Tomorrow I plan on an oil change. Hoping my speedometer cable gets here soon too. I'm pretty sure my old one was cracked near the wheel. (Stopped working as I was riding last week)

Z1Enterprises has been good to me. Can't complain.

Comment

I prefer it- Manual brake pretty dependable. I have no problems getting stopped from high speed runs.

Comment

Working...
                          X