Reluctant Project - Cooley Barn Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reluctant Project - Cooley Barn Find

What would you do if you were in my position?

I snapped up a wrecked Cooley that has been sitting in a barn for the past 15 years. Not only did the previous owner wreck it, but he molested it by painting it badly, and putting on a skunk tank. To add the to the expense of an all original restoration, it also didn't have a title.

In addition to all the regular stuff that has to be done via Basscliffs tips, and bodywork and paint.........

It Needs:

Seat Pan and seat
    Correct tank
    Tailpiece and light assembly (or at least the red lens)
    Windshield
    Front master cylinder
    Gauge Cluster
    Stator cover, and possibly stator
    Pods or complete air box
    2 chrome valve end covers
    side kickstand
    left and right pegs.. if I cant straighten
    Also front rotor does not look original.
    Trade out the 1978 carbs for Cooley Choke on the dash type?
    I have no way of knowing whether the frame is tweaked or not at this point.

I think the motor is probably ok because it was obviously wrecked while it was moving...and has been sitting ever since.

There is also a decal from a company (TSR Racing - Building exotic racing engines 305-762-7522) so it may have a beefed up motor....

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

50/50 on whether to make or... (gasp) break.

You may want to contact TSR Racing (if still viable biz) to see if they have record of the motor build. Could be a 'special'.

I'm betting this is an '80 S model, albeit in rough shape. (85mph speedo, slotted rotors). VIN will start with GS1000-53XXXX. Appears PO may have swapped head *—to accept VM style carbs— or used adapters on the original '80s head. Check the carb bowls... if you see the big 17mm drain plugs lurking underneath, they be smoothbores and very desirable.

Aside from dash, mirror(s), and rear sets (yes, the '80 S model had rear sets), other parts can be had. I may know someone who has an extra '80 S tank...

Final answer: turn 'er into a Cooley tribute bike

Last edited by Frank Z.; 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
      50/50 on whether to make or... (gasp) break.

You may want to contact TSR Racing (if still viable biz) to see if they have record of the motor build. Could be a 'special'.

I'm betting this is an '80 S model, albeit in rough shape. (85mph speedo, slotted rotors). VIN will start with GS1000-53XXXX. Appears PO may have swapped head *—to accept VM style carbs— or used adapters on the original '80s head. Check the carb bowls... if you see the big 17mm drain plugs lurking underneath, they be smoothbores and very desirable.

Aside from dash, mirror(s), and rear sets (yes, the '80 S model had rear sets), other parts can be had. I may know someone who has an extra '80 S tank...

Final answer: turn 'er into a Cooley tribute bike

Thanks Frank. You are right, the vin is 530678

I haven't had time to track down the TSR stuff but the carbs appear to be smoothbores because compared to the 26mm on my 78GS1000, these have an extra aluminum housing between the rubber boot and the carb, as well as a big drain plug on the bottom of the bowl.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
        Thanks Frank. You are right, the vin is 530678

I haven't had time to track down the TSR stuff but the carbs appear to be smoothbores because compared to the 26mm on my 78GS1000, these have an extra aluminum housing between the rubber boot and the carb, as well as a big drain plug on the bottom of the bowl.
        Those "housings" are indeed adaptors and are very rare bits. Congrats on scoring an S with smoothies!
        '80 GS1000ST
        '92 ZX-11
        Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

So do you think it is worth sinking some money in to it then? Complete ground up restore?

Does the value increase with the smoothbores on the Cooley, or can I put the high performance stuff on my skunk (my daily driver) and still have the Cooley worth something as a more stock bike?
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

So do you think it is worth sinking some money in to it then? Complete ground up restore?

Does the value increase with the smoothbores on the Cooley, or can I put the high performance stuff on my skunk (my daily driver) and still have the Cooley worth something as a more stock bike?
            No to complete ground up resto. The parts needed to get the value make it not cost prohibitive IMO. Now doing a Cooley race bike like Frank suggests makes sense. You have everything needed for the most part and a bike like that is sought after.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
              No to complete ground up resto. The parts needed to get the value make it not cost prohibitive IMO. Now doing a Cooley race bike like Frank suggests makes sense. You have everything needed for the most part and a bike like that is sought after.
              Thanks Russ, much appreciated.

I think I may be on the fence about this one a while... on whether to keep two bikes in my stable. I actually like my black skunk except would like it to perform better. If the Cooley ended up performing better I would want to ride it all the time.

That is why I wonder if taking this motor (if it is already been made high performance) and carbs and putting them on my 78, and putting my 78 stuff on this Cooley.... would be an unwise investment?
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

Doesn't look that bad to me. The gauge cluster looks repairable. The top glass can be replaced easily enough, and the surround is ABS, which can be glued if the pieces are there.

If you sell the smoothbores and buy some stockers, you can pocket about $400+.

A 1980 1000E tank can be used if you remove the tank badge bars.

The rear tail is the same as the '79 and '80 1000E. Not hard to come by.

Foot pegs can be bent back into shape.

I've seen worse.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It looks restorable in my opinion, too. The fairing can be repaired, the dash looks OK..mirrors are gonna be a problem, though. The tank can be replaced as well as the tail section, no biggie. Repaint. Any S that still has that many original parts is worth saving. It'd take a few thousand bux, but hey..most bikes do.
                  1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

its a 80 s model you can tell from rear brake pedal position and how the rear support for mufflers is shaped this was only done on the 80 s model
                    restore one day it will be a 10k bike if done properly

ozman

Comment

I really appreciate all the inputs. It is starting to sound like I may not be throwing money out the window by restoring it.

Whatever I eventually do with it, I will definitely post it and appreciate everyone's advise.

It is in a little worse shape (but not much) than the skunk I am now riding. I think I have about $1700 of repairs in the skunk, which included a paint job and stripe kit. I will probably start tearing the Cooley down and crossing my fingers - hoping for the best.
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

Greg..I have forks, possibly that stator cover, 2 complete stock airboxes, lots of other bits and pieces in about 6 different banana boxes....so I think your pretty well covered as far as most of the missing things goes. Ive got several turn signals and a pile of lenses...and a complete rear light assembly!!

So what I am saying is to bring her up, we can go thru boxes and get everything that I have set aside for you. Then we can yank the engine ( after we actually start it to see whats up in there and do a compression check as well ) and get the engine gone thru and repainted.I dont see anything that drastic that would stop me from doing a restore.

Bikescreens.com has the windshields, Pit Replica has the seat covers, the decals are available, worst comes to worst I can braze some metal into that skunk tanks indents so the bondo wont be so thick and your tank problem is solved...or buy that one from Frank..if he will sell.

I got the polishing equipment for the covers too....
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Greg..I have forks, possibly that stator cover, 2 complete stock airboxes, lots of other bits and pieces in about 6 different banana boxes....so I think your pretty well covered as far as most of the missing things goes. Ive got several turn signals and a pile of lenses...and a complete rear light assembly!!

So what I am saying is to bring her up, we can go thru boxes and get everything that I have set aside for you. Then we can yank the engine ( after we actually start it to see whats up in there and do a compression check as well ) and get the engine gone thru and repainted.I dont see anything that drastic that would stop me from doing a restore.

Bikescreens.com has the windshields, Pit Replica has the seat covers, the decals are available, worst comes to worst I can braze some metal into that skunk tanks indents so the bondo wont be so thick and your tank problem is solved...or buy that one from Frank..if he will sell.

I got the polishing equipment for the covers too....
                          That may be a good plan!
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Greg...like i said in our phone chat...just leave early some saturday AM....coffee is always hot. Just let me know when your on the way.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ed is correct you can offset some of the costs by selling the carbs and tank. The '78 tank will bring good $$ as well as the carbs. The mirrors and pipes however (if you wanted to bring back to completely stock) will be quite expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X