05 yfz 450 w/gs1000 SAND DRAGGER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

05 yfz 450 w/gs1000 SAND DRAGGER

hello all, just started a project a few months ago. i never worked on any motorcycles before this build. figured i should probably post up on here to get some tips and pointers from the GS community.

i got a wrecked gs1000 in trade from a buddy, came with everything, motor, wiring harness, full exhaust system, not sure if the mikuni ITB's came stock on these.

and then i recieved a 05 yfz 450 that had a hole the size of my fist in the block. $200 find! came with alllll types of extras. just needed a new heart!

i live in so cal, so glamis isnt too far away. decided that this would be an excellent candidate for a bad ass sand dragger.

so far i have cut and extended the frame 8" fully boxed and plated the frame, removable upper crossmember, custom 4-2-1 headers into a headman exhaust. mounted the batter box, new tabs to mount the nerf bars, got the correct sprockets and chain to correspond, and the motor is 100% in place.

even though the motor was known to run, its been sitting indoors, but again...sitting for a couple years. plans are to change the plugs, wires, oil/filter. i am by no means a "pro" when it comes to electrical, but i have got a stock gs wiring diagram and i deleted all the unnecessary wires. i will post a diagram so hopefully a wiring guru could point out any errors. since i have both a stock gs1000 harness and a yfx 450 harness, i will use the gs for motor and the yfz for the lighting since it was set up for it already.

ohhh and that gas tank is just sitting there for ****s n giggs, seeing if it would work....but def not. might just have to fabricate my own gas tank under the seat and put a low PSI fuel pump to get it to properly siphon into the carbs

Comment

first of all those carbs wont work. ill give you 150 bucks for them lol. From what i see there 33mm smoothbore carbs and a good score. Go to this link and download a workshop manual for lots more info please..... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

mounted the batter today, made a new bracket for the nerf bars, annnnnd made a new front bumper. its all tacked in place(ran out of welding wire). ill post pics later today.

Comment

looks like my wiring harness was pretty close to what i needed. got everything soldered. gonna mix my new battery and try to fire her up. any tips on first start up?

Comment

today i replaced my plugs and noticed that cyl 4 has rust in the cyl. this is terrible news. i just rebuilt a honda motor i bought(seller said it was good -__- sooo needless to say im pretty bummed out. im thinking about new rings and a hone to try and save her. i really dont know much about these motors so i am going to get a haynes manual. i have not gotten around to the point of trying to crank her over, but now im not sure if i should even try? is rust in one cyl a total write off w/o rebuild?
            Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by orchidrider View Post
              i am by no means a "pro" when it comes to electrical, but i have got a stock gs wiring diagram and i deleted all the unnecessary wires. i will post a diagram so hopefully a wiring guru could point out any errors.
              The most glaring mistake that I can see is that you have eliminated the "ignitor" in the ignition circuit. You can NOT connect the signal generators directly to the coils, they need to trigger the device known as the "ignitor" that will actually interrupt the current from the coils to ground.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The rust may be OK, or maybe not. How thick is it and where is it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

its only in one cylinder, not too bad but its present, i used a magnet to get any pieces out. then shop vaccd with a straw on the end inside there, theres a good amount, but ill see if it cranks.

hmm i thought i was missing a step on the wiring. anyone have a gs100 ignitor?

Comment

I have used Marvel Mystery oil to free up stuck pistons, here are probably better chemicals for it. Evaporust or vinegar may work. Not sure what is best but I would consider opening up the engine a last resort.

Have also had slight amounts of surface rust in the bores and just ran it, it was fine.

Google it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

just ordered an ignitor. so hopefully i will quit being lazy and get it going. thats good news. last resort sounds good to me.

Comment

Throw a couple of Tsp. of motor oil in each cylinder and crank it a bit,get a compression tester and after a couple of days use it. You might be ok,but i doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                        X