Still got the Mag Mopus from 1978...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still got the Mag Mopus from 1978...

Just scored this little gem in the rough.

Starts right up, runs and rides, charges normally, everything works as it should. Sounds tight. 9,000 miles.

Needs the usual stuff, valve adjustment, brake fluid, and of course tires and a seat cover. Gives me a GS to ride while the 550/650 clone is in progress.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Nice...looks like it'll clean up with little trouble.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Nice...looks like it'll clean up with little trouble.
      Yeah thanks, it's not a show bike or anything but it's pretty darned good for having never been restored or painted.

I'm just jazzed that everything works.

Comment

I am an equal, if not bigger fan of a survivor, over a full on resto. Ive always been of the mindset that a full restoration erases the machines history and stories....Sometimes its necessary however...
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That's a pretty sweet little bike.

Comment

Nice. Now get that 673cc head on that baby.
            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Yeah, patience, glasshopper. It will happen.

Those pesky POs, with 9,000 miles it's had what, three or four oil changes ever?

Someone put the oil filter spring in before the filter. I guess the oil wasn't being filtered at all. That's OK, it had no air filter element either. WTF, where do these people come from?

I'm stoked though, petcock works fine, brakes have no rust in them, tank is clean as a whistle inside. All of the bearings are tight and smooth. Not a single leak or stain anywhere. Just replaced the brake fluid, going to look at the valve clearances today, synch and adjust the carbs, and put on the front tire. Extra RoadRider from my 650G, never got around to putting it on before I sold it. The rear was the wrong size though. Bummer.

I'm thinking I'll use the really shiny spoked alloy wheels from RenoBruce on it. Just need to finish tightening the spokes.

Doing all the little stuff now so that it's ready to ride when the rear tire gets here.

Comment

More PO tricks, the ignition cover, valve cover have never been removed before. No tool damage to any screws anywhere… except the carbs. Stock sea level jets, but the floats were bent all crooked. I'm thinking whoever brought it to Colorado tried to get it to run right by tweaking the floats. And they left two clamps off the airbox boots and one off the intake boots on the head. And they lost the piece of tube that connects the float bowl vents together.

The good news is the exhaust bolts came right out, and none of the fuel screw tips were broken off in the carbs.

Comment

What a great find - you jammy git!
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

OK, rode it around for a while yesterday, all is good except… I have not ridden a 550 in about thirty years, it seems weak. Good pull off idle, and above 7,000 or so RPM it goes like Hell, but the midrange seems weak. Is this normal for a VM carbed 550 at 6,000 ft elevation?
                    It certainly does not have the oomph the 650G had here at 6,000'.
                    I kind of remember having to wind my old 550 out everywhere I went.

Or is there something else wrong I need to check for or is that just how they run? Could be clogged exhaust or something, haven't checked that yet.

Timing is correct, valves are in spec, new stock air filter in the stock air intake system, stock exhaust, carbs are clean, synched and adjusted fairly well, not perfect yet.

Chain and sprockets are in good shape, it's not that.

Comment

Working...
                    X