Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS650G Project: Which direction to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS650G Project: Which direction to go...

Greetings, as I'm going through this bike and following the sound advice of veteran GS owners, I've sitting back and thinking of what to do with the bike once I get to the rolling stock stage (sound engine, no surprises etc).

Since all the original parts are with the bike and in quite decent condition, (a lot of rust on the frame and chrome is basically shot) I'm pondering whether the GS650G is a worthy bike to restore back to nice and bright original state or was the bike lack lustre and common enough in it's day that no one is going to shed a tear if someone alters the bike enough that it's no longer looking as original as before? I'm not very familiar with the GS line of bikes, still trying to figure out why there's slag talk about the L models?

Later this winter (if all goes well with the engine) I will be stripping the frame for rust removal and paint, and that's where I would begin the journey of restoring or modifying.. I picked this bike up for $300 as a learning project, so I'm hoping to get it in riding condition and have fun with it.

I don't plan for this bike to be my principle riding bike, I have a larger touring bike that I ride mostly and a 'shiny' bike I ride when I get into the spirited mood.

Any thoughts on this?

Well, of course, there is always a need for pictures.Everyone here likes to see the project.I own an 850, have owned a 1000.I see there are lots of guys here that own 650 bikes and speak highly of them.most of us like to see the bikes restored,near pristine if possible.But if a bike is pretty far gone to do that, and it would cost more to restore than the bike is ever going to be worth, to me that makes it a candidate to make something else out of it.ie cafe racer.I do not like choppers.Some like bobbers.its your bike.If there were pictures you would get a lot more input and advice.As far as the L comments, that is because the gs bikes for some reason had a so called cruiser version of a standard GS bike.They had humped up seats,more raked forks, ugly and uncomfortable buckhorn handlebars.But once dehumped and de buckhorned they are just as beautiful as the other GS bikes in my opinion.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

My suggestion,,,,go through some of the other rebuilds that have been done, and see if your up to the task, if you have the time, money, and willingness, then take the route that best suites you...

What ever you chose to do, enjoy and have fun.

Comment

My bad, here's an image of the bike. OK colour..

The missing parts off the bike are in boxes at the moment.. everything looks in good shape, just needs some cleaning up.

Time, lots of it.. Money, well just like most people.. determination yes.

And now I know about the L series.. I see what you mean..

Cheers

Comment

The G is the more common of the 650's,it's the chain drive E that is relatively rare.The E is a completely different machine from the G to.Other than displacement they share surprisingly little.The ratio of 10 G's to 1 E is seems the concencus,no proof on that but.............

Comment

That's a nice looking project bike- get it running right and it will make you (or someone) nice transportation. I don't put much stock in cosmetics- mine looks its age but runs amazing well and I figure it will outlast me!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom. I plan to use anodize paint on the frame and where the chrome 'used' to be. Had used it on my VStar in some bare metal areas and after 3 years its holding up darn good! While out riding today, saw a restored GS850G in immaculate condition.. wow, not that was pretty. Couldn't find the rider to ask him about it but seeing that bike was a good shot of inspiration.

Carb O-Rings arrived today so now the journey continues again.. waiting is so.. old school.. sigh
              Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X