78 GS1000 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 Skunk

Picked this up the the other day. 78 GS1000, 41,000 miles, runs good, new tires, electric ignition, title, and she's pretty much all there. I'll be keeping her mostly original.

Currently rebuilding the brakes. Started my complete frame up rehaul. I'll be replacing what ever needs replacing, but so far a lot of the stuff can cleaned up and reused.

I took a ton of pictures are I figured I can reference them when I can't figure out where something goes.

2 Weeks ago:

Brake needed a major overhaul. Lots of brown dog **** in these calipers. Good times:

Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM.

Got her stripped down most of the way today. Took my time to label all the wiring harness connection. All the wiring was working, but some hacked it up some, I'm guessing to improve it. I'm hoping to reuse, but I'll definitely have to rework it some. Other than the wiring, everything else came off pretty easy.

From today:

Carb boots look new. Someones been here recently.

Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

That's what you call a tear down and getting to know your bike. Looking good.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Another one to follow...excellent!
        New boots? That is a nice find.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm in,just sort of restating mine.

Comment

78 skunk

Pulling the engine tomorrow. Got a feeling I might throw out my back on this heavy beast.

Comment

I like pulling the frame off the engine rater that the other way round.If you take the front suspension off the frame is WAY lighter than the engine is.

Comment

I love the skunk! Looks like the PO may have kept up with some rehab... boot bolts look new. Following this thread.
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

Nice bike! I think I remember seeing this one for sale earlier this year.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Nice bike, but clearly a standard, not an E

replacement tank painted to look like an E

Have fun with it!
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by crackerman View Post
                      Pulling the engine tomorrow. Got a feeling I might throw out my back on this heavy beast.
                      Some people use the tip the frame over method, others use a step or stool next to the motor, jack it up a bit and wiggle it onto the step/stand to minimize the effort involved

A HF bike lift also works well to accept the motor
                      Last edited by Big T; 11-24-2013, 02:19 PM.
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Engine is out. Wasn't too bad to get out after I figured out I still had a couple of engine bolts left in the bottom front. Started to bag and tag everything. Having a hard time getting the bottom bearing off the triple tree. I've destroyed it and it's still stuck. I'm going to try to heat it. I'd like to powder coat the frame and much of the parts, but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money. This would be the time to do it.

Any tip for these wheels? The front is decent, the rear need some work.

Comment

On the triple tree bearing, those can be a beeotch to remove. Make another cut in it

To install a new one, heat it up. My machinist uses his bore gauge to determine when it's expanded enough and drops it on. He uses a halogen lamp (turned upside down) to heat it up

One the aluminum wheels - you may have to disassemble the rear wheel to get the hub looking good, as well as the rim. Try a sisal wheel on them and see if they don't buff up

Then do the Salty Monk brake upgrade for all the braking power the tire can handle
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Finally got the lower tree bearing off. Tried some heat but that wasn't working. Went to the dremal cut off wheel. Took my time as I didn't want to nic the tree. A couple of cuts and it came off.

Gotta start making a list of what parts I need to order.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              Nice bike, but clearly a standard, not an E

replacement tank painted to look like an E
                              Yep, a later year fuel tank painted to look like a '78 E model.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X