Maiden Voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden Voyage

My oil filter came in today so after a quick oil change (I let it drain over night) I took the bike out for our first ride. It's a little cold here so I didn't take it too far plus being new to me I didn't want to venture out too far, but it ran flawlessly. I still have the petcock (mine's seeping a little) to do as well, but this bike is ready for its new, better cared for life!
    So I couldn't be happier with my, somewhat of a gamble, purchase!

So Far -

$250 for the bike
    $75 for carb kits
    $70 for a donor set of carbs
    $130 for new intakes, o-rings, and clamps
    $17 for air filter
    $49 for new petcock
    $30 oil change
    = $571 for a great little bike and the satisfaction of bringing one back from the dead!!!!!

I still need to get a tach cable and seat cover. While this one is in good shape it is pink. I guess I could go with a "Save the Ta Ta's" theme!

Here she is all happy after a LONG overdue ride...

good for you,Shamrock! Nice budget! for such a nice bike! I think the red is pretty nice,too so I hope you can maintain the colour-theme somehow in the new seat cover.

Comment

Yea!!

Comment

Give yourself a pat on the back for getting another GS back on the road.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I spent waaay more than that on my 850 and it's still in far rougher shape. (But to be fair, it was mostly an educational project.)

Awesome job, you should be proud. Now get a proper color seat.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! I received my tach cable today and to my surprise it went on in literally a minute and worked perfectly. I had my doubts since I got the bike without a cable so I was preparing for the worse. I also placed an order for a new set of handlebars and grips. I'm not going "cafe" style but did want my bars a little further forward and more of a relaxed hand position. The stock bars really turn the wrists out and I can see them getting uncomfortable real quick.
            I read a recent thread here about how fast the posters bike started and today I went out to a 40 degree garage, bike hadn't been started since my ride the other day, pulled the choke, hit the start button, and it started instantly. It ran for a few seconds at full choke and then I took it to half choke for 30 seconds or so and then no choke and it sat there and purred like a big ole kitty!
            Also, on the seat I dyed it black today. I'm not sure how long it will last being a bike seat being exposed to the elements, but I used to work in an upholstery shop and have dyed complete interiors in car and trucks with very good results. I had the materials here so it was a free mod and will make the bike look much better. I have the dyed cover hanging in the garage to dry overnight and will get it back together in the next day or so. Pictures to follow.

Comment

I got a couple things done in the past few days...got the seat cover back on the seat and installed - no more pink!!!!

and today I received my new handlebars and man the seating/hand position is SOOOOO much more comfortable. After some creative cable and wiring routing and new grips...

Old...

New...

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics when the weather clears up I will get some better outside shots.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

looking good! They are good at starting, these bikes-mine start up just like that too.

Can I ask what the dye is that you used? Mine seats are all black, but it's the kind of thing that can be useful to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  looking good! They are good at starting, these bikes-mine start up just like that too.

Can I ask what the dye is that you used? Mine seats are all black, but it's the kind of thing that can be useful to know...

Thanks, the dye is actually just aerosol vinyl spray - I prefer the SEM brand. Like anything you paint though prep is key. When doing vinyl you need it perfectly clean, then wipe it down with the grease remover of your choice, and then the secret is to get an automotive grade adhesion promoter. We always used a 3M product (item #222S). This will get the item being painted tacky as it kind of "melts" the top layer. You want to spray the item while it is still tacky so it needs to be done almost immediately. If done properly it will be VERY durable. At the shop I worked at we did A LOT of interior dying with great success. I changed the color of the interior in my personal car and things like dashes and trim that wasn't feasible to re-cover was done using this technique and I never had any of the old color come back through.

Comment

I never would have thought to dye. Amazing what a little risk and knowledge will get you. Nice bike, plus you don't have a lot of cash in it. You are sure to have a lot of people to ask about it in your travels.
                    Last edited by yasser; 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM.
                    Hondas
                    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                    Suzuki
                    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                    Kaw
                    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Good job. Now adjust the valves, sync the carbs, and fix the charging system wiring.

Check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature so you can be aware of some common issues for new GS owners.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
                        I never would have thought to dye. Amazing what a little risk and knowledge will get you. Nice bike, plus you don't have a lot of cash in it. You are sure to have a lot of people to ask about it in your travels.
                        me neither! ("..thought to dye") ' Never heard of dying vinyl.. I might have gone out and tried leather dye or something but for Mr_Shamrock's knowing!

Comment

OK Mr Shamrock - I'm not too proud to say that I am fully and officially jealous of your shop! Verrrry nice!

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                            OK Mr Shamrock - I'm not too proud to say that I am fully and officially jealous of your shop! Verrrry nice!

Thanks, I appreciate it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X