1981 GS850L Hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850L Hitch

Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but I'm wanting to know what you guys had for a hitch system. I have a trailer I towed with my GS450 and I had a hitch on that, that certainly worked for short travels but we are wanting to go on longer trip and would like to know how you gets tow. My father-In-Law and myself don't like the idea of putting it on the swing arm but maybe some one has tried it and it works better than we think. I've seen harley's use the saddle bag mounts for their system. Just want to know what everyone use's and what you guys think is the best design. Pictures would be great.

TyFerris

I don't have a hitch on my 850 (yet?), but I have mounted a few before. Whatever you do, do NOT mount to the swingarm, if you can help it.

My first hitch was on a KZ650, which I then moved to a KZ1300. It was a basic hoop of solid steel (about 5/8") that went from one rear footpeg/muffler mount, around the rear of the tire and back up to the other footpeg/muffler mount. There were struts that came down from about the turn signal mounts to the rear portion of the hitch to triangulate it into place. It worked quite well and was easy enough to remove for rear tire/wheel maintenance.

Just out of curiosity, what trailer were you able to pull with a 450? My experience with a trailer behind a 650 was rather short, as I quickly found that the 650 did not have enough power to handle it, I can't imagine trying it with a 450. Even with the 850, you will have to restrain yourself to a smaller, lighter trailer and keep the overall speeds down a bit, but it will probably handle it.

My Wing has NO problems pulling a trailer. Its trailer hitch is basically bolted to the saddlebag mounts.
    Between the previous owner and me, that bike has pulled trailers to both coasts several times.

By the way, good luck on finding out what "everyone" uses for their hitch.
    I think there are only two or three of us here that tow.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used a little homemade trailer. Basically its an axle with a platform and a car top hauler mounted on it. Big enough for a tent a couple of chairs and our clothes... This is the only pic I can find right now but Ill take some more pictures for you.

Comment

Here is a picture of my hitch bracket. Basically replaced the grab bar and mounted the turn signals to it.

And here is the trailer made the arm angle up to meet the ball. I know it looks pretty sketchy but we drove 55-60mph for about 2 1/2 hours one way and it worked pretty great.

I would still like to lower it so the arm it closer to the ground.

Comment

Hitch Idea

Okay Steve what do you think of this design.

I plan on replacing the turnsignal neck with steel tubing, mirrored on the other side and curved back around the rear tire. Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are more than welcome.

Comment

Well, the "one-sided" approach is certainly a novel idea.

Not sure what the upper arm is going to accomplish for you.

After you get the other side done and wrapped around the back of the bike, you probably won't need that triangulation piece from the turn signal down.

And, what's up with mounting to the outside of the turn signal stem? That is a VERY weak point, not really a recommended mount for a hitch.

The flat stock (at least that's what it looks like) will be very prone to bending, you would be better off using solid round stock or thick-wall tubing.

Basically, all you need is a hoop that goes from the rear footpeg mount, around the back, then up to the other footpeg mount. From the FRAME, not the turn signal, you can use some flat stock down to about where you have your lower junction. The round stock (or tubing) does not have to be over 3/4", the flat stock holding up the rear can be 1/8" x 3/4".

Here is a clip from a Google search that should give you an idea.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

How would you go about mounting to the frame? Id like the option to take it on and off.
              Oh and top rail was more for the saddle bags

Comment

If there is not a hole in the rear of the frame near the turn signals, you could either add a tab under the turn signal mount or have a small tab welded to the bottom of the frame rail. With a bolt-sized hole in the tab, it would be very easy to remove the bolt and the hitch. The lower mount would go to the footpeg/muffler mount, you could use the same idea there.

Most of your strain is going to be front-to-back at the lower mounts, so be sure to use properly-sized hardware. The rear (vertical) mounts are only there to keep the hitch at the proper height, and there is not a whole lot of tongue weight to worry about (if the trailer is properly loaded).

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Also wondering if you have used or heard good or bad things about the Swivel hitch system?

Comment

Originally posted by TyFerris View Post
                    Also wondering if you have used or heard good or bad things about the Swivel hitch system?
                    There are those who swear by it, and others who swear at it.

Personally, I do not use one. There is more than enough pivot capability built in to the standard ball to allow even the most extreme cornering. The only time that a swivel might be handy is if you drop your bike in the parking lot. Then, the limited amount of swivel on the head of the ball would tend to twist the tongue of the trailer. The only other time a swivel hitch might make a difference is if you are in a slow-speed corner (think "in-town") and the inside trailer wheel hits something (curb?) and flips the trailer to the outside. A swivel hitch will let the trailer flip without upsetting the bike as much, but I have talked to more than one guy who said that when his trailer hit the swivel limit on his ball hitch, it brought the trailer back down, without letting it flip.

I have not added up all the miles I have towed a trailer behind a bike, but it's probably close to about 100,000 by now. I have been towing since 1978, and have not had any hitch-related problems with any of my trailers.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X