Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GhostGS40X '83 GS400E Build

Hello everyone,

This is the ongoing saga of my '83 GS400E build with an accompanying GS40X engine build.

I picked this bike up in pieces but I could see the potential in it the moment I laid eyes on it. For $400 I couldn't really go wrong for a back roads cruiser. I have some slight mods in mind for it...where it's not a number matching rebuild it's going to be a mod/chassis.

and the GS40X engine

Now were to start..... I have had this bike for a little over 6 months now and have had some time to work at it.

Start with the carb rebuild I guess.

Boxes of parts yielded 2 sets of Mikuni carbs.... unfortunately I was only able to make one set of the two.

How they came in the box;

and the tear down...

Someone let these sit with fuel in them for a while..the varnish was pretty bad. This was after a quick dip in the bath...

Then a quick brush and everything was good enough for the rebuild...

ported and polished, inlet side only

completed set;

More to follow. The blue is a hint of things to come.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2013, 11:29 PM.

Onto the engine.

The GS40X case and cylinders were in the best shape... so I will be swapping the internals and head from the best K501 and making a hybrid GS40X/K501.

K501 bottom end

Picked the best spec pistons out of the 6

and proceeded to polish them for better heat transfer....something I have done on so many car engine builds. Much cheaper than sending them out and getting them coated.

Some of the OEM parts;

Bearings, seals, valves and valve guides

Cylinder head port work to follow. Just waiting on my valve seat cutters and valve guide drift.

Comment

I'm curious...subscribed.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Have to throw in the future exhaust, you'll have to use your imagination for now! I know, it's a bit much for a 400...oh well..............it's bolt on so it can also be for future builds......................

I have also taken some time to get some of the engine covers polished...
        I plan to have all the side covers polished and the crankcase satan black.

Where polishing is time consuming I tend to flip back and forth between it and fabricating to break up the monotony.

So I thought I would throw in a suspension shot....

Valve spring was thrown in there for shytes and giggles..... Spacers still have to be machined.

Initial mock up puts her pretty tight.....may have to adjust the engine mounts just a smidgen!
        Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2013, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Good work so far, gotta love that polishing effort! Tuning in for the build...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'll follow to.Man an I regretting selling the 85 400 we bought for my wife

Comment

Quote;

Have to throw in the future exhaust, you'll have to use your imagination for now! I know, it's a bit much for a 400...oh well..............it's bolt on so it can also be for future builds......................

It is looking like you are planing an undertail exhaust. I built one a couple years ago on a bike build I did for a member here.

Subscibed
              Last edited by hjfisk; 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM.
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Yes sir..... something similar to that!

Here are some shots of practicing valve seat cutting on my cracked GS40X head....

Still not quite right, little bit of undercut between my 75° & 45° cuts. Doesn't help that these guides are also a bit on the loose side.

but I am starting to get the hang of it.....

You'll have to excuse the crusty old exhaust ports. It's a practice head.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X