GS1100L on Craigs List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100L on Craigs List

Found this locally and was wondering what would be considered a "fair" price. I know it's very dependent on area and condition. Just looking for a range. He's asking $900 right now but I don't think it's firm. I have no other informantion other then what's listed. The bikes been listed since the 6th of last month. And yes, I know it's an L.

Here's what is in the ad:

"1980 GS1100. I have a project bike that needs to be finished. it is in good condition, I have many extra engine parts almost a complete 2nd engine. it runs good."

Spare engine pieces:

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Great deal if it comes with the other parts and a title.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The extra engine is worth a lot, so are the extra parts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think I'm about to make the leap... I've contact the seller to see if the bike can be viewed. It's now being offered for $800. If it checks out I'm going to offer $600 and see if he'll take it. I may give him the $800 but it depends on a good compression check.
        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 12-26-2013, 11:42 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OK, I just talked to the guy. According to him (I know, I know) the bike was running in June. He tried to get it to run a few days ago, but it won't fire. He says it will crank (new battery), but will not fire up. My feeling is that the value of the bike is dropping quickly. I'm supposed to meet up with him on Sunday to inspect the bike. If it will crank, I'll use a spray of starting fluid to see if it will fire on that. I'll then do a compression test.

What compression numbers should I expect for a cold engine? I'm thinking around 125 psi but would like confirmation if someone else knows better.

Any other quick tests that I should do?

Does $600 sound reasonable for the bike and engine in non running condition? If not, then what should I offer? It is a chain driven L model that is a little rough around the edges.
          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 12-27-2013, 04:12 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            OK, I just talked to the guy. According to him (I know, I know) the bike was running in June. He tried to get it to run a few days ago, but it won't fire. He says it will crank (new battery), but will not fire up. My feeling is that the value of the bike is dropping quickly. I'm supposed to meet up with him on Sunday to inspect the bike. If it will crank, I'll use a spray of starting fluid to see if it will fire on that. I'll then do a compression test.

What compression numbers should I expect for a cold engine? I'm thinking around 125 psi but would like confirmation if someone else knows better.

Any other quick tests that I should do?

Does $600 sound reasonable for the bike and engine in non running condition? If not, then what should I offer? It is a chain driven L model that is a little rough around the edges.
            $600 sounds good, it's the parts that are worth the money. Talk him down all you can, but don't pass it up unless it's a rusty piece of crap. That 1100 engine alone is worth quite a bit. Be careful about checking things in front of the seller. I have accidently fixed bikes a couple times, then the guy wants more money. I'm not going to pay it, so I fixed it for free… I'll see it listed for twice the price tomorrow. I certainly wouldn't use starting fluid for this reason, also if it runs a bit, then he can't start it later because he's still an idiot, he will say you broke his engine. Been there, done that. Compression is probably bad, as the valves have probably never been adjusted. I wouldn't even test it myself, I just don't care. Once I adjust the valves correctly and run it a while, the compression will be fine, it almost always is. It probably won't fire because the compression is low and the carburetors are clogged from sitting. Clogged carbs is number two. They always clog if it's been sitting for months, unless the guy drained the carbs, which they never ever do.
            The third problem we always see is the charging system is failed, again from neglect. Corroded connectors, this causes burnt wires, then POOF! something shorts, the Regulator fails and takes out the stator.
            These three items are so common that they are my triangle of triage, these three things get me a lot of good bikes for almost nothing.
            Last edited by tkent02; 12-27-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

So... Find as many faults as I can but don't bring the beast to life while the current seller is there.

I'm thinking:

Check compression and show how bad it is.

Try to crank the bike but don't allow it to start.

Identify any visible issues (Rust in tank or anywhere I can find it) and make a lot of groaning noises while finding issues.

Offer him $500 and counter with $600 if he baulks about it.
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 12-28-2013, 12:46 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

And how did it go? Very curious if you picked up a new project bike!

Comment

Not yet. I'm meeting with him tomorrow.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Went to look at the bike today. The story on it is that it was a shop owners customer's bike and the shop closed before he was able to get the bike back together. Here's what I found:

The Bad:
                    No title but a certificate from the police that says there are no stolen records and the VIN is clear of back taxes.
                    Engine will crank, but wont start
                    Missing rear brake foot lever
                    Missing front engine mounts
                    Many disconnected wires
                    VERY rusty gas tank
                    Petcock bypassed with an inline On/Off valve
                    Clutch cable frayed
                    Blown front fork seals
                    Missing frame side covers
                    The clutch was missing when he picked up the bike from the shop. He replaced it with the one on the "spare engine" but has never been able to test it.

The Good:
                    Engine cranks with no obvious strange sounds
                    Checked compression and found 120 cold across the board with a weak battery
                    4 into 1 exhaust is a Supper Trap but it also comes with the stock 4 into 2
                    Extra parts include a new chain, extra carbs (missing some parts), Most of an engine with unknown history but missing all clutch internals and completely disassembled.

The guy is hung up on how much he has "invested" into this bike and wont drop below $800. I offered $600 and said "call me if you change your mind".

We'll see what happens. I don't really see anyone jumping on this bike given the issues I listed. I figure I'll let him stew over it for a few days.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post

The guy is hung up on how much he has "invested" into this bike and wont drop below $800. I offered $600 and said "call me if you change your mind".
                      Investment. Yeah, right.

I think titles don't matter at all in Geargia on older bikes? Better ask Octain or someone local but I think that's true.

Still, the parts are easily worth that much whether you want to deal with it is another question.

Comment

Agreed that a title is not needed in GA for anything older then 1985. I've bought and sold many motor vehicles with only a bill of sale. It just limits it's value somewhat.
                        I'm still a little leery of a "customer's" bike that was "picked up" from a bike shop that's now closed.

As for the parts being worth the $800 asking price? It may be true, but if I'm going to part the bike out I would like to make some money out of the deal. I'm not sure that I could easily double my investment at that price.

Like I said... I'll wait and see what happens. If he calls back with the lower offer then great. If I miss out on this one then there will be others along the way. There's a pretty nice 1982 CB900 custom that's almost perfect for $1200 local on CL right now. Just can't see me spending $800 on a major fixer upper L series. Even if it is an 1100.

I hate to say it but if it were an E model then I probably would have it home right now.
                        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-01-2014, 11:38 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I offered him $700 for the bike. Well see what happens. Anyone need GS1100L parts?

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                          X