finally got my next project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally got my next project

Its a1983 gs750es with a turbo. My last bike was a mildly built gs450. This 750 was my dads bike but due to back problems he had to switch to a cruiser. My goal is get it running again, then tear it down and clean it all up. I want to make it kook all factory minus the turbo. I will post pics as soon as i can find my camera charger.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM.

That's cool I all ways like to see I bike stay in the family and one of the members bring to back to it's former state I can bet you have some memory's with the bike unless you are like me and were to little or not allowed around it (my dad had BMW's when I was to small to go with him on rides )

Comment

Here are some pictures.

below is the turbo/ exhaust and the fuel pump and pressure regulator

Comment

Wow First I saw the cool beaded mud flap, and thought that it had an interesting PO, and then I saw the turbo. Very interesting. Awesome!!

Are you going to mount the fuel pump?
        Last edited by 850 Combat; 12-29-2013, 02:33 PM.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The po was my dad. He bought the bike from the original owner with only 5000miles on it. The original owner had put it down from 1989 to 1998 just to do exhaust mods and never put it back together. My dad put it together and rode it daily for a year before he found the turbo kit. I remember going with him to buy the turbo kit used off some guy. I watched him install it and was handing him tools. In high school i just thought of it as dads fast bike. I even snuck it out once. As my dads back got worse, he added the flaps cuz they were free and it kept water from coming up. He aslo had added a windscreen to the stock one to make it taller. My plans are replace the plastics because they are cracked, replace the wind screen, keep the, fix the ding in the tank, repaint the bike, and clean the flaps. Clean up the cuts for the turbo. Then tear it down and make it look like a factory bike with a turbo option. Then i will show my dad how i restored his old bike. Oh and the fuel pump hasn't moved in 14 years. if i change the routing it will pinch the line. This thing is touchy about fuel pressure. Maybe i will get to making a mount some day
          Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I am debating whether or not i should clean it and get it running first or if i should just strip it to a bare frame and rebuild it? The bike is 99%assembled. Its missing the battery

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
              I am debating whether or not i should clean it and get it running first or if i should just strip it to a bare frame and rebuild it? The bike is 99%assembled. Its missing the battery
              Interesting and cool project. Personally I would try to get it running to some degree first. It will allow you to assess the situation, and become more familiar with the machine. Good luck.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm pretty familiar with the lay out of the bike, Thanks to the time I spent working on it with my dad. The good news is the carb was cleaned and drained before parked. since the fuel pump hasn't been run the carb should still be clean. I have my lowered truck in the garage in pieces right now due to mice chewing on the main engine harness and a rabbit chewing through the main trans electronics. Once the truck is fixed the bike is getting worked on.

Comment

I just got a service manual sent to me in the mail. found out my dad also has a spare turbo, carburetor, and seat cover he is going to send me

Comment

Very cool. I'm gonna be watching this one.

I gotta say though, I always thought folks who would strap a turbo onto a bike were a little bit nuts. How do you keep that thing from roasting the rear wheel when that turbo spools up?
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

My dad is a little nuts. He is an old school hot rodder. His current toy is an austin healey replica with a ford based stroker sniffing nitrous. the car weighs 2200lbs without a driver and is making around 600 hp off the bottle and close to 800 on the bottle. Everything he builds never has enough power. I remember as a kid being on the back of this bike. When he would get on the freeway the front wheel would barely touch the ground. Snuck it out in high school once and scared myself. I just want to bring it back to how it was. Clean and almost stock looking. Maybe do one pass at a local track one of these years

Comment

just a small update. I got the bike cranking over today, but no luck on firing it up. I only had a few minutes to kill so I didn't get into it to the bike to deep. I am going to have to check for fuel and spark next. I know the fuel pump is turning on. I still need to finish up the work on my lowered truck first before I go further with the bike.

Comment

Working...
                        X