Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are using an impact driver on those?

That typically gets them loose.

BTW, the screws are JIS standard, not regular Phillips. The proper tool would be helpful
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Day 5 Full Album:
      Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like cj145.

Anyone know if the cam chain is oring like motorcycle chains or can I clean it with solvent?

The cam chain tensioner is a bit worn. Should this be replaced (new is $330~) or will this last another 50k+? I can measure the grove depths if needed.

Got the last stuck screws out:

Then split the cases:

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Are using an impact driver on those?

That typically gets them loose.

BTW, the screws are JIS standard, not regular Phillips. The proper tool would be helpful
        Yes, that would have helped. Did not know that, thanks. I don't have an impact driver (yet) only my 1/2" drive air impact. More importantly I just had to order a set of micrometers and a dial indicator.

Comment

A short update:

One of the lobes on the intake cam was way under spec, will be pulling the cam from the other engine and sorting out that issue when we build the other bike.

The output side driveshaft bearing was trashed. Metal shavings and all. It seems the shavings were all contained in the axle seal as we have not located them elsewhere. Picking up a new one of these. The rest of the driveshaft appears to be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparc View Post
            Yes, that would have helped. Did not know that, thanks. I don't have an impact driver (yet) only my 1/2" drive air impact. More importantly I just had to order a set of micrometers and a dial indicator.
            An inexpensive hand held impact driver is invaluable in getting those screws out and all the other screws too. Generally one or two whacks does the job
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

More short update.

We bought a hand held impact driver, and used it on the second 850G motor. We had to steal the head from it, as the head on this bike was not in good shape.

Just more cleaning going on. Should be ready soon to have parts powder coated and the engine cleaned/honed/decked.

Comment

So I built an electrolysis tank to de-rust the gas tank, and the bin I used leaked, so I had to transfer it to another one. Then, on my way home from work today my charging system died on my Ninja and left me almost stranded. I was able to bump start it but the stator and rectifier are both fried...

Project is now delayed while my money goes into new parts for the Ninja...

Comment

Lot has gone on, on top of that, the engine is still at the machine shop because they are a horrible company... Never use Engine Service INC in Seattle. The old owner was great, seems the new owners have their head up their ass. Never once returned a single call, 3+ months to do simple machine work, barely answer the phone, and won't return messages. I'm about to write it off as lost and start on the GS1000e...

Comment

Working...
                  X