Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Project

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum here because I just inherited a GS850. Says its an L has parts from a G I believe...I don't know I have it less than 24 hours.

Anyways the gas tank is junk and I was wondering if anyone has replaced it with a smaller tank from maybe a 550 or 650??

Are there any direct bolt ups or will I have to weld on new brackets or do some kinda of mod???

I'd like to have a smaller tank for a slimmer look.

Cheers! and Thanks for any input!

First, welcome to GSR. Lots of information here, especially on the 850s. All 850s are G models, the "cruiser" model is a GL. You have an 850GL.
    What year is it? Must be an 82 or later if you think the tank is too large.
    Any tank can be made to fit if you have the skills (and a welder).
    Go to the site pointed at in my signature and start reading. Download the 850 Factory service manual at the top of the web page. Most likely you will also want the wiring diagram as well.
    Have fun.

Comment

Thats one hell of a link you have there koolaid.. Thanks for sharing!!!

Ah yes I forgot to state the title says its an '81, the tank seems to hold about 5 gallons. I'm still researching as much as I can about these things.

This thing was half way torn apart when giving to me. I do know it was running not long ago.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with this thing in order to get it back on the road, but I can't seem to leave things alone so it won't be going back to stock appearance.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2014, 12:14 AM.

Comment

You are welcome.
        Please, please, get it sorted out first. Everything fixed and operating correctly. This means wiring, charging system, fuel system, ignition system, instrumentation, etc.
        Then start making your mods. If you mod it first and then try to sort it out, it will be almost impossible for us to assist you because we won't know what you actually have.

Comment

This is what I was giving with a box of parts and a seat...

Comment

picture number 2

Comment

Clearly partway toward a cafe. Be sure and grab that wiring diagram. Print it out and blow it up to 11x17. You are going to need it.

Comment

Haha thanks koolaid. Either way I'm pretty excited to be working on a motorcycle again. Its been to long...

With the way this things sits thats why I'd like to find a smaller tank for it. I'm cool with fab work, I was just looking for my closest option as to what to start with.

everything I google is a damn honda ....

Comment

The 1980 850GL had a smaller tank. More of a peanut shape. I strongly suggest you are focusing on the wrong area to begin with.

Comment

Yes, there is a good chance that it's an '81, but it's NOT an "L".

An "L" would have leading-axle forks and a smaller tank. Your tank is actually 5.8 gallons, the "L" tank for that year is about 3.5 or 3.8. You might be able to fit the "L" tank on there, but you will have to move the forward mounting posts to do that.

For a glimpse of a complete '82 850L, click on the link in my sig for my wife's bike.
                    You can click the link for my 850 to see more of what a G looks like (after adding some accessories ).

By the way, the tank on my wife's bike is the larger 4.5 gallon tank that was installed on the '82 bikes. The '80 and '81 850Ls got the smaller (3.5 gallon) tank.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm giving close detail to the entire bike, and I'm pulling the motor to have it rebuilt as well, cleaning up what I find wrong. The electrical will be cleaned up as well.

But if I have to do fab work (welding, cutting...) I want to do it first before pulling the motor or the wheels and tires to make sure all my clearances are right and before I get any paint on this thing.

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve. The battery/side panels sport the gs850L so I wasn't sure what this thing was just yet...

I appreciate the info on the tanks too.

Thats cool you got the whole family on the Suzuki kick!

Comment

Good point Steve, I missed the forks. I thought the 81 L models had the smaller tanks.
                          For different tanks, go to the Appearances section and ask there. It is probably the best place to ask that question.
                          And sorry, I'm really tired.

Comment

Thanks koolaid, I've been browsing around over there a bit.

Comment

Working...
                            X