Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Old and Cold..but here i go again..'81 GS650L

IT'S A BAGGER!!!!
    Shoei bags and trunk..and under all the dust lies a decent example.
    tomorrow it gets a wash job and I've already ordered carb o-rings and intake o-rings and bolts from cycleorings.com.

no hurries here it's been 0-20 degrees F... but spring is a'coming....
    How bout a bagger/bikini fairing??
    Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM.

It does look good ,did you get a good deal on it

Comment

400 bucks.. it "supposedly"ran last summer hahha but w/ gas pouring oughta the overflows who knows?? hahahha.

I think it has 29k miles.. probably broke in eh? oil level is good. no gas smell???
      tomorrow i can't wait to wash it off.. it's been sitting under a tractor shed and has 1/4 inch of dirt all over it!!!
      first thing carbs come off.. second thing check valves... i know this drill!!!!

Comment

You got a great deal my friend good on you, post some pics when washed I'm curious , I bet it cleans up real goods , Brian

Comment

yes pix at six hahaa

tomorrow i'l do some preliminary pics.. we'll see what it looks like....

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
            How bout a bagger/bikini fairing??
            About the same concept as my son's "Rat Bagger" bike.

Still not quite done, as his money is going to school, not bikes, but it's ridable and presentable anyway.

Harley bags and a smaller National Cycle windshield, might be the Deflector DX.

Yes, that is all the same bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice Steve! I'll also need to change the color of the bags, they are wrong color so depending on the paint one the bike, I might go in some direction that is yet unseen.

Comment

She's a Virgin.. no buggered screw heads anywhere , carbs never been off .( no buggered screw heads there either!!)
                only one side cover is missing the chrome front piece and has a crack, but the rest of the bike is nice, just dirty.
                I got rained on and FROZE while washing her, but I'm amazed! not a lot of corrosion or rust... just one spot on the tank where the emblem rubbed for years.
                I sprayed the chrome down with wd40 cause who knows how this weather will go, and it may be a while before I pull the tank and carbs come out.
                The only molestation is that the PO pulled the air cleaner cover side off, then promply lost the
                "SLIDES" that retain the cover, just like on my last GS650.. they were missing also. AND mufflers look like they came from a hog or something..yuk
                The air cleaner slides list for a whopping 3 bucks each so i'll have my brother in law pick them up an his daily ride past my favorite Suzuki dealer!!
                Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

tank off, preparing to pull carbs but choke cable froze.

I did a wee bit on it today..nothing much but I freed up the choke cable nicely with my cable luber and pb blaster. I'll lube it again with teflon lube before reinstalling it. This just saved me 20 bucks. Yes i'm cheap

Comment

I made that picture big for you Barnbike. It really did clean up nice. Nicer weather coming your way. 54 degrees in Indiana today.

Looks better than some finished projects.

Comment

Thanks.. I'll eventually remember how to do that with pis also hahahah.

I'm off work tomorrow and the carbs will come out.. not apart cause i need a fresh can of berrymans, and of course the O-rings haven't got here just yet but they are on their way!!!
                      I'll WD40/#000 steel wool the chrome bits and remove the footpegs to do on the wire wheel, maybe drop the rear wheel to look at the splines. I hope they aren't the bad kind
                      I'll post a pic of it up on the HF Hi-Lift Bike lift.. it fits in the corner when not in use and raises any bike to 30 some inches high!!!

Comment

carbs out/intakes off!!

carbs out and intakes came off easy as usual, using my old rigid impact with the proper bit. less than one minute i get all four intakes off, never bugger a screw and can use them for something else!! (I always get new SS from www.cycleorings.com along with intake orings and carb orings)
                        Unfortunately the intakes are toast.. hard as a rock and they will never seal properly. off to my favorite places to get the best price on all four!!

Carbs surprised me, fairly clean inside nothing froze up!!!! I'll be sourcing the rubber plugs that go over the pilot jets..they are LOOSE

Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

updated: The bike is done, and my daily rider. For now , I lopped off 2 inches on both sides of the handlebars (HATE "L" BARS). I polished the tops of the saddlebags with a buffer and put on the trunk. they are now shiny black and look "OK". I am debating getting superbike bars or similar until I ride it some more, it is raining and will for the next few days haha..I hate the riding position of those bars but they are a wee bit beter now.. maybe a plexifairing or similar is in the plans ..
                          I did a relay mod for the ignition and redid the charging system with redundunt grounds and eliminated the headlite switch loop.. all is well!!! pics soon but .. raining

Comment

Working...
                          X