No announcement yet.

Doin the 550/673 swap, and I have some ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here's an ebay link for a set of 550 cams with the sprockets for 20 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Suzuki-...ae5999&vxp=mtr
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Are all the 550 cams the same for all models and years?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice pictures, but do you have any showing how much you filed them to make them adjustable? Plus, I already have 550 cams and gears. I wont need to purchase more. I just need to get them to fit my 650 cams.

Comment

All you need is the width of one sprocket tooth, if you need more adjustment than that just line up the next tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamNeal View Post
            Great information guys. Really helpful.

I started reading up on cam timing and degreeing on this website http://www.iskycams.com/degreeing.php

I am starting to understand more about what you are telling me( you guys must think im stoopid)
            Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Nothing stupid about it, it is all very confusing for someone who hasn't worked with it a bit.
            That site is an excellent reference. Thanks for posting it.

As tkent said, there's nothing stupid about asking questions when you don't know. Hell, I learn a TON just from answering questions. The best way to really learn a subject is to teach it.

All you need is the width of one sprocket tooth, if you need more adjustment than that just line up the next tooth.
            Most of the slotted cam sprockets I've seen are slotted across 3 tooth positions. This gives the ability to advance or retard the cam up to a full tooth from 'stock' without having to pull everything apart to re-time.

Here's a good pic of what I mean:

Are all the 550 cams the same for all models and years?
            I am almost certain that all 550 models from 77-82 are the same. I'll do a little digging to confirm, though.
            1982 GS1100GL (Sold )(Retrieved!)
            1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
            1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
            1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
            1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
            1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
            1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
            1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
            1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
            1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

well well... after quite a bit of fiddling around with these cam sprockets, i was finally able to attach them to the 650 cams. i found a carbide burr deep in my tool box that measured 7.65mm ,just a c*nt hair bigger than the holes in the 650 sprocket bolt holes. Chucked it in my drill press and opened them up. long story short, 550 30t sprockets on the 650 cams. now that that is finally done, i can start to reassemble the motor.
              p.s. my phone got stolen which had all my progress pictures on it so as soon as my new one gets in the mail ill get some pictures up on this thread so y`all can see whats what.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamNeal View Post
                well well... after quite a bit of fiddling around with these cam sprockets, i was finally able to attach them to the 650 cams. i found a carbide burr deep in my tool box that measured 7.65mm ,just a c*nt hair bigger than the holes in the 650 sprocket bolt holes. Chucked it in my drill press and opened them up. long story short, 550 30t sprockets on the 650 cams. now that that is finally done, i can start to reassemble the motor.
                p.s. my phone got stolen which had all my progress pictures on it so as soon as my new one gets in the mail ill get some pictures up on this thread so y`all can see whats what.
                How is this project coming?

Comment

Well, it kinda stalled when my 750 quit running. I then found some damage that needed attention on the 550 frame. A 93 katana 600 with a bent up frame fell in my lap so I swapped the engine and rear end in the 550 and Im saving the 673 for a stock-ish build. I also need cam chain guides as the ones I have have cracked and pieces are missing.

Plus I recently relocated to NYC and everything is in a storage unit until I find a place to set up shop.
                  So I guess, on pause for the time being. My computer took a major dump so updating my build thread seemed pointless without all my pictures(no pictures, no proof). Any time I post on here it is with a slow "smart" phone... pita!

Id love to finish it as I hear that engine could potentially be a screamer and would love to experience it first hand. 8v 673 vs. 16v 750! Both of these heads have had port work so each intake runner is the same diameter in the same location as the next. Just a simple clean up of the casting and short side radius of the bowls. All sharp edges softened and cc smoothed and polished. Poston tops have been polished, rings gaped, exhaust portmatched. I do like the blind vs sight differences in the before/after work that has been done(refering to the 750 as I have been able to ride the sucker). Very simple old school hot rod engine stuff that makes an already wonderfully designed engine even better.

Im still needing to open the top cases more to accept the 650 cylinders as I think they have about a couple thousandths to go....

Comment

Neal,

I have a full 550 parts back and a bunch of 650 parts so let me know what you need and I can look around. PM me.
                    1978 GS550 E
                    673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                    New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                    for playing in the dirt

Comment

Working...
                    X