Clear All

Every day the bike is looking better.

Comment

The sun was out here so the bike has been out for a ride

Comment

Looks really good.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Today I orderded some bits for my camchaintensioner. The only part that I didn't renew was a cause of a leak too. So I am getting another used tensioner and I am buying a deep 30 mm socket to be able te replace that big O ring. Replacing the seal without removing trat nut wasn't a good idea as the seal was very small and the shaft will damage quickly too.
          I have orderded somne springs for the stand and that will be going to be powdercoated next week hopefullly.
          I will also torque up the headbolts as I noticed a small oil leak after a good testrun. I can live with a small oil leak but can't be doing with bigger leaks. And changing the fork oil and synchronising the carbs sometime. All work work but enjoyable.

Comment

Now THAT is what a UJM looks like.

Great job!
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
              Now THAT is what a UJM looks like.

Great job!
              Thank you. I think it was hard to beat the Original. Only one can beat this model for me en that is the black 1980 model with the blue decalls. And I had that model a bit before this one.

Comment

Stand powdercoated last week just waiting for new springs so I can put it back on the bike. And I have adjusted the carbs today with my carbtune which was not a quick job as I only have the one with two connections.

Comment

Ton, that is an EXTREMELY nice looking 550!!! Even I would want it and all of my bikes are 1000 or larger.

Comment

My other bike is my BMW R1100R but I have Always liked the GS and GSX models. I have had loads of Suzuki's and I should have kept my last GSX400F too as that one was also a clean one. Thank you for the comment anyway
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Took some photo's again today but still waiting for parts.

Comment

Today I stripped my cam chain tensioner. I have bought an extra tensioner as the one I fitted was still leaking. This time I changed all the seals. The big o ring was split. the seal was leaking and the tiny o ring was leaking too. So if you take them apart make sure you renew all the seals. Buy the socket and strip it completely .

Comment

sized_P9010873.JPG
                          I should have a as good as new oil leak free tensioner now. I might fit that this week. And if I still have an oil leak it might need a new headgasket .

Comment

Today I removed the old camchaintensioner from the bike. With the carbs in place it was possible to get the tensioner out. I first had to undo the two bolts from the tensioner to find out that the tensioner wouldn't come out. But with the tensioner pulled back slightly it was possible to get to the two bolts holding the starter motor cover on and remove that. After getting this out of the way it was possible ( only just) to get the tensioner out. Unfortunately I need a new gasket before I can put my restored camchaintensioner in there.

Comment

I fitted the camchaintensioner a few days ago. So it is possible to remove and to get the tensioner back in place without removing the carbs. You only need patience .
                              Next job will be the fork seals. If I haven't stopped all the oil leaks I will have a headgasket and base gasket to replace.

Comment

Working...
                              X