Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at another project bike. Need opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at another project bike. Need opinions!

Ok, here's the deal. I talked to the current owner and he says it will run but the front brakes are "spongy" and the front forks leak oil. He purchased the bike as a trade. He has the original title that he has not been filled out yet. Basically it would look like I purchased the bike directly from the previous owner. The bike didn't run when he got it, but after a couple of carb rebuilds, he got it to run "pretty well". The seat has some rips. I'm going to look at the bike tomorrow and here is what the CL list said:

GS1000G
    Runs Good but need front fork seal, front break tuning.
    both are very minor repairs .
    The front fork seal is $5.00
    I no longer have time to spear and have lost interest.
    Firm $800.00

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-04-2014, 09:48 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Vetter?

What's the year and mileage?

Is that a Windjammer?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Have a good look at the exhaust, if it's solid the price is fair if the milage isn't crazy high. Start it up and see if there's any blue smoke, check the tank for rust, ect..ect.. You'll have to do all the routine maintenance anyways so spongy brakes, leaking forks, worn tires, ect.. are nothing to worry about. Things that get expensive are exhaust systems, paint jobs, and leaking or tired engines. If you really want to know about the engine take along a compression tester. $800 for a 1000G is a pretty decent price if it's all there and in somewhat decent shape. GREAT bikes.
      Last edited by azr; 02-04-2014, 10:14 PM.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Check if the OEM headlight bucket & such are included... I would easily pay $500 for a 1-liter shaft-drive bike without that Windjammer fairing.

Ask what type of carb rebuild the PO has done - sounds like it wasn't a proper dis-assemble & dip - just a spray can or five.

OEM fork seals are about $25, not $5. Add new fork oil & some sonic springs, run you about $135. Front brake caliper cleaning/rebuilding and new SS lines about another $125 if you make them yourself & re-use most of the caliper & MC stuff

That bike is a bear with proper maintenance caught up. It would certainly bring a smile to your face.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

It's an 1980 and not sure of the mileage yet. He has all the new front brake components. Carb dipping is not an issue as I've done a few and plan on doing that no matter the condition. I'll take a compression tester along and hope for something 130psi or above. I know that I'm shooting for 150 but 130 has been a good mark since valve adjustments have no history and I've not seen an abused engine show 130 across the board. Usually an engine that's sat will show low on compression. Agree that the exhaust should be in good condition or consider a $300 exhaust in the equation. Not so worried about the front fork seals as I have a set to install. Just need to check for any pitting on the fork tubes. Not sure if it's a Windjammer. If it is then I consider that a plus.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'd grab it, the 1000G is the nicest GS shafty IMHO. Wouldn't worry at all about mileage, just check if it's beat to heck or if it's been cared for. Guys who put on big fairings don't tend to be the ones who neglect a bike and beat the crap out of it. The front forks and brakes are just routine stuff you would need to do anyway. Of course it will need tires, fluids, some electrical work, maybe a cable or two and a few bearings. All routine stuff. As always, check for crash damage. If it's an '80 someone has swapped the petcock, which is good unless it hits the carburetors or something. It's been repainted, see if it's a crappy rattle can job or if it was done right. If it's been sitting long check for rust and junk inside the tank.

Fairings like that aren't worth much unless you want one. Yeah, make sure the original lights are included.

Take what he says with a grain of salt, fork seals are definitely not a $5 repair. He knows nothing or he is lying.
            That seat has been redone or replaced, can't tell from here if it's any good. It's very hard to beat the original flat seat that bike came with.
            Last edited by tkent02; 02-04-2014, 11:10 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Actually the 80 G models came with a normal petcock. It was the 750's that have the weird ones, and maybe the 1000E but I'm not sure about that. I know the ad says $800 firm but take cash and see if he'll do $700. I guess it's all about how much you want the bike.
              Rob
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Oh, OK, I thought that all of them with a gas gauge had it. The 1000E had it for sure.

Comment

OK, it's done deal. I officially have a new GS1000G project to work on. When I went to see the bike it had no battery. I used jumper cables directly to the wires and was able to turn it over using the guys pickup truck as the source. Wouldn't start so I checked compress VERY cold and 2.5 years since it was last started. Compression numbers came in at just about 100 even across the board. Not great but what do you expect after 2 years of sitting, cold and no known history. I was able to turn the petcock to prime and out poured the gas from the over flows. I decided to see if I could get it to fire and she fired off on choke. Lots of black smoke at first but it cleared out after a little while. Not firing on all cylinders but it did start. I mulled it over and then offered him $400. He took it and now the bike is at the house.

The Vetter fairing has to go though. At least while I'm working on it. Paint job leaves much to be desired but the tank wasn't real rusty and relatively dent free. It did come with "Suzuki" branded saddle bags. Not sure if I'm keeping them either. Front forks have NO fluid in them and the front brakes are a basket case. Literally since they came in a black plastic bucket all in pieces. Everything from calipers to lever.

I'll start a new thread with pictures in a day or so.

Does this mean I need to change my handle?

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Congrats! Sounds like a great deal for a nice bike!

I'll be following this one too...

Good luck.

mike
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      OK, it's done deal. I officially have a new GS1000G project to work on. When I went to see the bike it had no battery. I used jumper cables directly to the wires and was able to turn it over using the guys pickup truck as the source. Wouldn't start so I checked compress VERY cold and 2.5 years since it was last started. Compression numbers came in at just about 100 even across the board. Not great but what do you expect after 2 years of sitting, cold and no known history. I was able to turn the petcock to prime and out poured the gas from the over flows. I decided to see if I could get it to fire and she fired off on choke. Lots of black smoke at first but it cleared out after a little while. Not firing on all cylinders but it did start. I mulled it over and then offered him $400. He took it and now the bike is at the house.

The Vetter fairing has to go though. At least while I'm working on it. Paint job leaves much to be desired but the tank wasn't real rusty and relatively dent free. It did come with "Suzuki" branded saddle bags. Not sure if I'm keeping them either. Front forks have NO fluid in them and the front brakes are a basket case. Literally since they came in a black plastic bucket all in pieces. Everything from calipers to lever.

I'll start a new thread with pictures in a day or so.

Does this mean I need to change my handle?
                      Awesome, you're going to love this bike. Nicely done on the price. Do the valve shims and I bet you that compression will be just fine. Congrats!
                      Rob

Comment

Nice deal on a great bike. Good luck with all the maintenance catch up & repairs.

Comment

Once you get that sorted you will be a very happy camper. I believe that the GS1000G is the best overall UJM bike Suzuki ever built. Nice purchase
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            Awesome, you're going to love this bike. Nicely done on the price. Do the valve shims and I bet you that compression will be just fine. Congrats!
                            Actually I think I screwed up on the compression test last night. This morning I realized that I never kept the throttle plates open when I did the test, so 100psi is probably good on a cold engine with the plates closed. The low compression numbers and stuck floats were the reasons for dropping the price. I'll have to remember that the next time I look at a new bike.

Mileage on the bike is just under 22K.
                            Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                              Actually I think I screwed up on the compression test last night. This morning I realized that I never kept the throttle plates open when I did the test, so 100psi is probably good on a cold engine with the plates closed.
                              Very good, even on a perfect engine it usually reads 60 - 80 with the throttle closed. Clever bargaining trick!

Comment

Working...
                              X