Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Padding under old valve shim to thicken it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a neat looking little bike. It's a shame that for the most part, we mostly get the big beasts here in the U.S.
    Last edited by eil; 02-20-2014, 01:24 PM.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks Yes I've definitely enjoyed my time here so far as I have learned a lot of stuff simply by surfing around in the forum. Great resource I must say!

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
      Hello Safwan, Welcome to the group. Your bike is a nice looker, don't remember ever seeing one like it myself. Don't worry about your valve settings costing performance or causing any damage. I would consider them to be about optimal for a GS. They will slowly but surely tighten over the miles, but you will most likely not have to adjust them for quite a while or worry about burning them. Hope you enjoy the time on GSR. Ray

Comment

Nevermind. It's ok

Originally posted by Allie View Post
        Sorry that wasn't exactly aimed at you. I don't take exception to anything you've typed and have to convictions as to your identity. The engine thing is a long running subtext around here and I jokingly proffered it to Bob as an ID test for a certain person known to troll the premises in disguise.

Comment

Thanks mate. It might be a little bike for you guys but here where I live in, people normally have 70cc or 125cc Hondas and for them even this little one is a big monster I am looking forward towards getting my hands on a Yamaha R1 but so far I haven't come across a decent piece yet. My search is still on for now.

Originally posted by eil View Post
          What a neat looking little bike. It's a shame that for the most part, we mostly get the big beasts here in the U.S.

Comment

What do you mean by cam walk? Haven't heard this term before. Btw I have noticed that the valve noise is decreasing with the passage of time as I put more kilometers on the meter everyday. It might be adjusting itself on its own. What I mean by this is that the ticking noise is not as loud anymore as it used to be during the first two days.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            The tick may also be cam walk..very common

Comment

"Cam walk" is an occasional noise that happens when the cam(s) move a bit side-to-side. It is usually only noticed at idle. As the engine speed goes up to about 1500 or more, the cam chain pulls the cam to center, eliminating the noise.

There is a "fix" for cam walk, but it's not cheap or easy. There is no damage caused by it. My wife's bike had it when we got it almost 9 years ago. She has put on about 25,000 miles since then, the noise has not gone away, but it hasn't gotten any worse, either.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve. Based on your answer I can certainly say that there is no Cam Walk taking place here as the bike is extremely smooth when idle. There is only a little ticking sound after the bike has run for 5-10 km and the engine has properly heated up. And even that sound is now decreasing with the passage of time. There is significant ticking sound in my friend's GS500, however, but just like my GS450, I believe his will also become quieter with the passage of time. Let's see (fingers crossed)

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                "Cam walk" is an occasional noise that happens when the cam(s) move a bit side-to-side. It is usually only noticed at idle. As the engine speed goes up to about 1500 or more, the cam chain pulls the cam to center, eliminating the noise.

There is a "fix" for cam walk, but it's not cheap or easy. There is no damage caused by it. My wife's bike had it when we got it almost 9 years ago. She has put on about 25,000 miles since then, the noise has not gone away, but it hasn't gotten any worse, either.

Comment

Working...
                X