81 GS650G back to original-ish specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650G back to original-ish specs

After reading some of these amazing restoration threads, (which I can't even come close to) I thought that I should share what my plans are for my bike.

Picked up a good deal on the bike, which had a few little issues, the biggest being the colour. But it was in great condition for its age.

Got it home, emptied the sludgey fuel, and got it started. Rear luggage rack off, a nice bath and she came up better than I thought - a great base for a project.

My plans are to try and get it pretty close to the original Katana spec, you know red and black seat, silver paint, and red-orange accents.

So after a few months of not touching the bike, the tear down begins.

I've got most of it stripped down, with te engine coming out soon. Plans are;
    Rebuild carbies (already underway)
    Spray frame a semi gloss black
    Re-seal tank (already done)
    Paint calipers, rotors, spring etc red-orange
    Paint engine, once it's out
    Replace bits and pieces as I go, eg gaskets
    Re-upholster seat
    And put it all back together.

The previous owner painted everything black, and I mean everything. So I've got a bit of painting to do also.

Here are some progress pics of te work I've done so far.

Grungy dirty carbies

One of the numerous baths and scrubbing with carb spray.

Float bowls with a few issues

Outside pretty much scrubbed and cleaned, ready for paint.

So, still lots of work ahead of me, but enjoying the challenge and learning from places like this forum.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Good luck on this and continue to keep us posted.
    Great pics!

Comment

Kinda hate to do it but you really should read this http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf Nice 650 Kat BTW

Comment

Thanks SV. Yep, already read it before, amongst many other sources,

Comment

Originally posted by samboss260 View Post
          Thanks SV. Yep, already read it before, amongst many other sources,
          Amongst the many other sources, did you also read the one about rebuilding the carbs?

It appears that you have not yet sparated the rack and dipped the carbs, then re-assembled with fresh o-rings. You need to do that BEFORE painting the carbs.

Please don't think that hours and hours of scrubbing the OUTSIDE of the carbs is going to open up any clogged fuel passages on the INSIDE. You need to do a chemical dip (some claim that an ultrasonic cleaner also works well) for basically a full day for each carb, then flush the passages with carb spray and compressed air.

By the way, I don't think the label on the side covers is quite correct. Should be GS650M.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, as I'm not taking apart the carbs and dipping them, then I'm more cleaning them rather than fully rebuilding them. Your comments are valid however.

Comment

Nice bike.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Ok, as I'm not taking apart the carbs and dipping them, then I'm more cleaning them rather than fully rebuilding them. Your comments are valid however.
                You already noted the "sludgey fuel" in the tank and also showd us the "bowls with a few issues", what makes you think that the INSIDE of the carbs is going to be any better?

Just expressing some curiosity here, and waiting for your next post: "I should have taken the carbs apart. "

I know how much "fun" it is to remove the carbs on a 650, I would not want to do it again.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Do it right the first time, or have troubles until you do.....

strip them, dip them, put in new O-rigns, and reassemble, not so hard and it will save you lots of grief down the road

don't half a$$ a rebuild, especially on carbs......

look at my rebuild thread or any of the others, I have lots of pics on the carbs and in various stages of tear down and reassembly, get the rebuild guide\tutorial

O-rings you can order from http://www.cycleorings.com/

to get you motivated

Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Will look into this and rethink my approach.

Comment

Please do listen to their advice or you'll kick yourself in the end.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nice motorcycle, beautiful and everything, but it is NOT a 1981 650G. The Katana is a whole different animal.

Yeah, listen to these guys about the carb stuff. They know.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Nice motorcycle, beautiful and everything, but it is NOT a 1981 650G.
                          What is it then?

Comment

It's a 650G Katana.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Nice motorcycle, beautiful and everything, but it is NOT a 1981 650G.
                              What is it then?
                              Read post #5.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X