No announcement yet.

'83 GS1100ES Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really should sort out those carbs. I have 36's on my 11e and it goes like hell. I have pods and a pipe so jetting took a little time but the throttle response is immediate and it's a blast to ride.

Comment

Maybe you've already checked this and with new needle valves and seats it shouldn't matter, but when I got my ES the crankcase was full of gas - the vacuum assisted petcock needed rebuilding. Did that, no more carbs overflowing.

Not likely that's your problem, but I bet your petcock may need rebuilding anyway...
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

OK fans...

Actual progress on the GS1100. After much tinkering, confusion, adjustments, confusion, and plenty of fuel leaking I finally got the Bandit 1200 carbs to stop overflowing. I finally tracked the problem down to the floats not being adjusted to the right height. And not just the height, I had to tweak the adjustment tabs certain ways to ensure they did what they were supposed to do and not interfere with other parts. That was the big key.

So now that I had potentially working carbs I put them on the bike this afternoon. Checked everything over. Added a smidge of starter fluid for good measure... and damn if the bike didn't fire to life. Naturally once it started warming up there was a certain amount of smoke from various places. Not surprising for a bike that has been dormant for over 6 years. But at least it ran. I even ran it through the gears (carefully) to make sure that was functional as well.

Now that I know it runs I can start to focus on the next bits which will include a full rebuild of the brakes, new chain/sprockets, mount some instruments (I have GS1150 instruments that fit the original mounting points), add some turn signals. I'll need new tires before actually riding it as well. Finally, I'll clean up the bodywork and see where it goes from there.

Here is a link to a short vid just to provide I'm not kidding...

Later All

Comment

For no pods/ or air filter it sounded good.

Are those BST36SS CV Flatslide carbs off of the Bandit? I can't tell from the picture you provided. If so and you take them apart do they have the same styel slides as the older GSXR BST36SS carbs. Ceramic slides wear the plastic inserts and needles and emulsion tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            For no pods/ or air filter it sounded good.

Are those BST36SS CV Flatslide carbs off of the Bandit? I can't tell from the picture you provided. If so and you take them apart do they have the same styel slides as the older GSXR BST36SS carbs. Ceramic slides wear the plastic inserts and needles and emulsion tubes.
            Wow...uuuuuhhhh... dunno. I bought the bike as a non-running project. Needed help from other forum members to identify the carbs as being 36mm units from an early Bandit. Slides are what I thought were referred to as semi-flat slide. They are mostly flat. But have a round portion in the center section... if that helps. I'm more used to dealing with Mikuni BS-34's as that is what both my GPz's have (and what came off my parts bike GS1100).

I do have some pod filters for the ES. They will need a good clean before I can determine if they are still usable. I'm just getting started with this thing...

Comment

Originally posted by 63ronin View Post
              Wow...uuuuuhhhh... dunno. I bought the bike as a non-running project. Needed help from other forum members to identify the carbs as being 36mm units from an early Bandit. Slides are what I thought were referred to as semi-flat slide. They are mostly flat. But have a round portion in the center section... if that helps. I'm more used to dealing with Mikuni BS-34's as that is what both my GPz's have (and what came off my parts bike GS1100).

I do have some pod filters for the ES. They will need a good clean before I can determine if they are still usable. I'm just getting started with this thing...
              I think I read that the frost time but was hoping there was more info. A picture of the sides or insides if you break them down would be nice.

Comment

Well... It's certainly a slow process. But I got the GS to a test ride state today. I was able to actually ride (slowly) up and down my street a few times as an initial test. Still lots of work to do. But at least I know it will go down the street. It really seem to want to haul a**. Seems way more peppy then my '83 GPz 1100. And I haven't even tuned the thing yet. Oh... and it seems like a really big bike - tall. But it's easier to move around the garage than the GPz.

In the last couple weeks I installed new 530 conversion chain and sprockets. Rebuilt the front brake calipers. Also refinished using high temp paint. Used the BBQ to bake the paint - but don't tell my wife. Installed some new fancy blue Spiegler braided brake lines on the front. Had a time bleeding the brakes. Years of sitting created some corrosion on the bleed nipples. I had to replace a couple. Once again, thank God for parts bike. OH... lesson learned comment here... don't tighten down the brake banjo bolts until you are really sure the brake line routing is correct. DEFINITELY don't do it twice. Hmmmmm...

Since I know everyone loves pictures, here are a couple "post ride"

Sitting next to the GPz

Ready for more work

So... need to add some turn signals. I think I have enough spare parts lying around for that. Though I might have to fab up some new brackets. Clean up some electrical. Add electrical connection for the tach signal. Install new spedo cable. OH... need to add a choke cable. Needs new tires. Finish bleeding the brakes. Clean up the bodywork and install. Other odds and ends. Yup... lot's to do yet. But at least it runs.

Later

Comment

those carbs add quite a bit of pep over the round slide carbs.

Comment

I hate days like this...

In my infinite wisdom I decided today was a good day to drop a motorcycle in the garage. Damn... are those GS 1100's heavy or what? And my 50 year old back took a beating trying to save it (I didn't) and then pick it up again (which I did). The good news, I am utterly amazed to say it looks as though the only damage was a broken front brake lever and broken right mirror. Lucky for me a large box holding an expensive auto part I am about to sell on e-bay broke the GS's fall. I thought perhaps I'll wait till tomorrow to open the box and check the part. Fingers crossed.

At least the garage is now all cleaned up and sorted so I have more room to work - or maybe get another bike...

Comment

Now there is the right attitude.
                      Make a bigger wrenching area and decide the area should be used for another bike.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Stinker about dropping ths bike in garage. I did it a few winters ago also, and also due to clutter in the garage......Kids stuff mainly.
                        When the 1150 started going, it was like trying to stop an elephant........
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                        X