Re-sleeve? 1100 to 1230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-sleeve? 1100 to 1230

Would like to know the pros/cons for re-sleeve VS just getting an 1150 block before I invest in new sleeves. These are the ones I'm interested in.

Just don't know if this is the hard way to go EX: Bottom case will have to be bored, 1150 head won't fit to 1100 block...... All potential problems or non issues?

Would be nice to have a more cylinder wall left when I'm done as I'm going with 1230 pistons. If I use 1150 block I'll have thinned the walls down to minimum. If I go this way I'll have 1mm more of wall left in the sleeves and it should run cooler right?

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

I did it
    You'll need an 1150 crank and 1150 outer clutch hub.

Sorry I did not use a sleeved cylinder and my firewall at work won't let me see your link.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Are you considering using a top end oiler as well?
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yes, yes

Already have the 1150 crank, billet/welded clutch basket and straight cut gears. will be using HD head studs so yes on the top end oiler as well. would like to have the oiler kit hidden as much as possible. Definitely don't want bright or anodized soar thumbs on the side of the head.

I see these sleeves from time to time and understand the extra machine work would be more expensive. If the extra thickness of the sleeve will pay off in a better end result It'll be worth it. Retaining the 1075 CM3 casting on the block is also something I'd like to accomplish.

If someone has gone down this road and had to turn back that would be worth knowing.

Comment

I've been running a 1229 for over 13 years on a stock block 1150. Had some jetting issues running hot/lean at the beginning, but got that sorted. The motor has gone near cross-country and done several track days. Its had issues over the years, mainly tranny and clutch related, which may be no fault of the big-bore, not sure. Probably just my ignorance. Does have a Falicon super crank, but otherwise is mostly stock. It does get hot, but I live in the NW, so not a huge issue. With 107k on the motor, I'm still getting 40-45 mpg.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
          X